This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Deck options
I feel that I have a lot of choices when it comes to building but less if I want to actually win a game in a tournament. =( The game has lost its finer details and lots of mechanics as the game speed has increased as well as the complexity of the game and cards have risen.

Affiliation flavour
Nope, most are just the same with a different colour. We need to make them play way more differently. Think the Borg different but without the massive amounts of extra rules.

Online play
Have done a couple of games, mostly for testing, and it's super frustrating and a really bad experience for me. 0 of 5 Borg Cubes, would not recommend this for anyone. This is not a good alternative to face-to-face play.
I have thought the game to 5 classes worth of Game designers now and they seem to understand and some actually play the game but no one want's to play online through Lackey after I show it to them. (Or to play in tournaments for that matter as it is just not a fun experience for anyone new to the game)

Forums
Since we lost the possibility to interact through that app that I have forgotten the name of, it's just harder and harder to remember to come here. And it's not a great way to communicate. We need threaded conversations like the old, now defunct google wave or similar. Or for that matter, just the lows some conversations can go to does not make this place more inviting.
Unfortunately, I do not have a better solution than switching to Slack or Discord as those apps help you keep up on the things you might be interested in and makes the conversation much more efficient.

Discord
I have too many accounts through work and through personal engagements which makes heading discord a hard beast to master. I tried to stay engaged in the Dojo and have since then lost interest due to way too much information. I just don't have the time to catch up on all conversations.

Staff
Most staff are nice when I engage with them. But somewhere the CC just has to be more upfront with how this organisation is going to be run. Is it by the player, for the players or are we going to try to run this as a faux-company? Or is it something in between and if so, what goes where? As one of the Designers I feel I would love to engage more but the time differential is making it really hard for me with a small child now to take care of. And my way of working might not jive with everyone else's. So even though I would like to, it's probably impossible for me and maybe others to put the time in unless we find new ways of working where we can be more autonomous as well as more inclusive.

I should probably include a disclaimer somewhere about me being Swedish and tired most of the time. =) No real time was put into actually thinking about what to write here.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
What kind of quicker? Are we talking faster rotation of sets or fewer turns per game?

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
We talking Changed Win Condition like "First to 50 pts or complete one planet and one space mission" or something, But the rest of the rules stay the same? Because I can get behind that.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Actually, with a smaller, designed card pool, you can have more rounds per player but overall less playtime for the entire match. We've tested this and with less complexity on cards and no access to all the good cards all the time it's less to play each turn and as such more turns to get everything out. And the good thing is that a usual match is around 45 mins. Decks are also muuuuch faster to build =)

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
grandar wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:14 pm Isn’t that just warp speed format?
Then I'll just play warp speed. But that's not fully 1E. I want a game of 1E, but shorter time and limited pool. It's a completely different format.
winterflames wrote:We talking Changed Win Condition like "First to 50 pts or complete one planet and one space mission" or something, But the rest of the rules stay the same? Because I can get behind that.
Maybe. I think a limited deck size is needed. Various ccgs and lcgs have come up with numerous ways of different formats. I think taking the best of them, mashing them together, and creating a quick new format, with a limited pool. And maybe it's just limited based off property logos for example. If you play TNG, ur deck can only contain TNG cards, but if my opponent plays DS9 or Enterprise, their deck has to be all of the one type. Maybe even apply that to dilemmas. So I can play a TNG draw deck, but a Voyager Dilemma format.

I don't know, something different, but in the end, maybe it's only to solve to 70 pts with a planet & space requirement. Your draw deck is 50 cards. you can only seed 1 side deck, etc. All sorts of possibilities! But the game is quick. 30 minute avg times. No longer than 40 minutes perhaps. Quick table games.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Here's a thought I've been kicking around in my head for awhile:

4 missions
Play to 70 points w/ planet and space
16 Seed cards
40 card draw deck max (retain 30 card minimum)
No side decks

That gives you a 50-60 card deck that can fit in a deck box, some interesting strategic choices from a limited seed slot perspective, and should enable a game to be played in 30-45 minutes tops I would think.

I'm sure there's some fine tuning needed, and I haven't contemplated card pool yet, but that's a rough outline that allows for a "1e lite" game that is a little more multi-dimensional than Warp Speed.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:34 am Here's a thought I've been kicking around in my head for awhile:

4 missions
Play to 70 points w/ planet and space
16 Seed cards
40 card draw deck max (retain 30 card minimum)
No side decks

That gives you a 50-60 card deck that can fit in a deck box, some interesting strategic choices from a limited seed slot perspective, and should enable a game to be played in 30-45 minutes tops I would think.

I'm sure there's some fine tuning needed, and I haven't contemplated card pool yet, but that's a rough outline that allows for a "1e lite" game that is a little more multi-dimensional than Warp Speed.
I think the card pool would winnow itself down. With 16 seed card limit, there are only so many decks that will be viable. I imagine an affiliation like Dominion wouldn't be viable in that particular format. Several deck types take too many seeds to setup and get going.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:34 am I'm sure there's some fine tuning needed, and I haven't contemplated card pool yet, but that's a rough outline that allows for a "1e lite" game that is a little more multi-dimensional than Warp Speed.
Unique cards one per deck.
Every other card, two of :)

~D

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:05 pm I think the card pool would winnow itself down. With 16 seed card limit, there are only so many decks that will be viable. I imagine an affiliation like Dominion wouldn't be viable in that particular format. Several deck types take too many seeds to setup and get going.
I disagree. The Dominion deck you're custom to seeing/piloting maybe. But every affiliation can find a way of being effective. Dominion can still be handful for powerful ships and personal battle and only having to solve minimal missions, means you can bulldoze through two. Especially using the [RC] engines available.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
HoodieDM wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:46 pm
JeBuS wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:05 pm I think the card pool would winnow itself down. With 16 seed card limit, there are only so many decks that will be viable. I imagine an affiliation like Dominion wouldn't be viable in that particular format. Several deck types take too many seeds to setup and get going.
I disagree. The Dominion deck you're custom to seeing/piloting maybe. But every affiliation can find a way of being effective. Dominion can still be handful for powerful ships and personal battle and only having to solve minimal missions, means you can bulldoze through two. Especially using the [RC] engines available.
The bold emphasis is mine. That's exactly what I'm referring to. Can your [RC] [Dom] outpace the other viable decks if you are limited to 16 seed cards and 40 draw? I really don't think so.

By phaserihardlyknowher (Ben Daeuber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Deck Options/Affiliations
Good. I haven't played for more than a year, but I'm excited looking at the new cards. I totally dug the TOS block. On the gameplay aspect, I think if you want quicker play with less rules, this may not be the game for you. I say this as an inexperienced player, but I gather part of the appeal is the ridiculous complexity. I played from Premier to about 2001 or 2002 and the game is in a better state now than it ever was then.
I've said this before, but I'd like to see more block. It's a less intimidating entry point and gives some underplayed cards/strategies a look. That said, I've not been playing, so if there have been block tournaments, I've not put my money where my mouth is.
Online Play
Tried it once, haven't gone back. Part of that is just that I don't really want to be in front of a computer more than I am. And if I do, I'll generally play video games. Not really a knock on the game. I guess I do find the community/scheduling/league aspect a bit intimidating for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.
I will say that I wouldn't mind a shift to OCTGN or Untap.it, where I play other games (also jinteki.net, but that's totally custom built) but I have neither the desire nor the skill to do the work myself, so that's the last I'll speak of it.
Forums/Discord/Staff
Ooof. I scanned the forums a bit earlier in 2020 after I thought I might want to play some more and I'll say from a largely outsider's perspective: no way was I sticking around for that. When you've got people who are -- at least to me -- self-evidently trolling, I'm gone. My life's too short. This isn't a court, it's a game and I don't have the patience to read people's quibbles about due process when I can just go play video games. Again, I don't have a horse in the race, but perhaps that's the point: I'm the person that's being driven away by lax moderation. Take all of that for what it's worth, which probably isn't much.

Anyway, I look forward to some in-person play coming up next weekend in the Cities.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]