This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Howdy folks, and happy Friday.

I'm bringing this question in as a rep from the Balance team, but this conversation came up on a design meeting. It is balance-adjacent, as it deals with issuing errata, and the palate of the player base for such things.

Let's say we were working on those Blue Rash cards Charlie mentioned a few weeks ago. There is an interrupt that is Blue-Adjacent, that might be affected by some shakeups on how the Rash works overall.

Now, in this era of print on demand, my personal feelings are that issuing an errata to make the game better is a no-brainer. Get it done, and folks can reprint a single card for their deck.

The problem is... the Continuing Committee just released an AI of this interrupt as a tournament promo.

I love playing with foil AI tournament promos. I wanted to make an all-foil deck back in the day, and still feel like that would be a "cool" challenge. So getting my hands on these promos, and experiencing the chase is great fun. On the other hand, I tend to always use the latest version of an errata'd card, because I have trouble keeping straight what version of game text is current, and I want to have it in clear text in front of me when I'm playing. So that makes the neat version unusable.

So there's the conundrum. I feel like it is poor form to issue an errata for an AI Promo. It still bugs me that the original Continuing Mission foil AI got an errata, even though it probably was for the best. If memory serves, we managed to avoid the errata to that Blue-adjacent interrupt I mentioned above so far, and I'm relieved.

But as time goes on, more and more cards will have promo versions. And the likelihood of an errata target having an Alternate Image will only go up.

So what do you think? Am I alone with my bugaboo about issuing errata to cards that have shiny, collectible versions?

Should there be a higher barrier for issuing errata to cards that have a promo version?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and have a great weekend.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Agreed. Fix is first priority. Pretty decks a definite second!
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
SirDan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am Should there be a higher barrier for issuing errata to cards that have a promo version?
No.

IDEA - Re-release foil promos with Errata text. Not whole sets, just sprinkle 1 or maybe 2 in 1E prize kits. Seek and listen to feedback to determine if the player base appreciates them.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I still use my foil Continuing Mission in physical [1E-TNG] decks. I'd love an errata version of that foil.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Personally, it matters to me somewhat what kind of errata it is.

Rewording to clarify, I don't really care, ever; I still occasionally play a physical copy of Garbage Scow, which I think has received clarifying errata not once but thrice since then. (Once from Decipher, twice from the CC.) As long as I don't forget how it works and don't accidentally mislead my opponent, meh!

Rewording that functionally changes how I use the card... I like a much higher barrier there, although I guess I apply that to all cards and not just promos.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I say reissue the foil AI with errata. We already have a precedence for this, sorta.

WB Preview Admiral Riker from Dominion was printed with the text:
[DL] Any Enterprise (if aboard your matching facility).

When Admiral Riker was released in Reflections as a foil this mysteriously changed to:
[DL] Any Enterprise (if aboard your compatible facility).

When Admiral Riker was released in the All Good Things set, the original text was restored and errata issued for the Foil version.

In this case the errata was fixing an error as opposed to a rules change, so it is not exactly the same thing that @SirDan is asking about, but I think that issuing errata on a foil AI and reissuing it makes for a the added challenge of collecting both versions.... Amanda's Parents / ❖ Holosuite, anyone?
Last edited by Professor Scott on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Go ahead and fix what needs fixing.

I can always clip the bottom of the errata and slip it in with the shiny picture showing as long as the upper portion of the card is unchanged...

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]