This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which Glossary PDF do you prefer?

Version A - Bigger text, more space (https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/Glossary.pdf)
35%
Version B - Smaller text, fewer pages (https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/TradGlossary3.pdf)
5%
I don't really use the PDF Glossary very often anymore
60%
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
16 months ago, a few days after we launched the new online Glossary, some players asked for changes to the updated printable PDF layout. Those changes were narrowly voted down in a community poll.

I had hoped to eventually make both layouts available (since both layouts did quite well in the poll), but I have run into difficulties making that happen. I think they will be resolved eventually, but "eventually" can take a long time, and, in the meantime, we've got T.D.'s having to print out a 94-page behemoth who are not too happy about that fact.

However, 16 months later, we've all had a lot of time to get used to the new Glossary, and our opinions may have changed. Many community members no longer use the PDF Glossary at all. (Personally, I open it only once a month, to verify the updates.) The PDF Glossary is mainly important now just to people who print the book out on paper. So I want to run the poll again and see whether the results have changed.

Do you prefer Version A, the current PDF layout, with bigger text and more spacing? (prints as 47 double-sided sheets)

Or do you prefer Version B, the PDF layout that imitates Glossary 1.8's density -- and its substantially lower page count? (prints as 38 double-sided sheets)

Or have you shifted to using the Web Glossary, and no longer care what the PDF Glossary does?

Thanks! If community sentiment has indeed shifted since the last time this was asked asked, the default version (and, for now, the only version currently available) will change accordingly.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I voted "do not use", but when the library makerspace opens up I'm tempted to print off a hardcopy Glossary for the shelf. (Or maybe gifts.)
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:29 pm I voted "do not use", but when the library makerspace opens up I'm tempted to print off a hardcopy Glossary for the shelf. (Or maybe gifts.)
I want pics of your leather-bound Glossary.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:29 pm I voted "do not use", but when the library makerspace opens up I'm tempted to print off a hardcopy Glossary for the shelf. (Or maybe gifts.)
3D print? Like a sculpture of the Spirit of the Glossary?

I'm picturing something akin to the portraits of armored ladies that used to represent Brittania, Columbia or Germania.

For the record, this sculpture would have to be someone doing the Rulesmaster Summoning Dance OR a bust of someone making the 1E Face.
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:02 pm
3D print? Like a sculpture of the Spirit of the Glossary?
Nope, although they have a bunch of 3D printers as well - they're reportedly setting up a full bookbinding rig. (They used to have some auto-printer thing, but the Makerspace folks said it was janky and never worked right, so they've upgraded.) But everything is delayed for the moment, so we're waiting to get at all the cool new toys downtown. (My kid is waiting for the Gamer Space.)
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:57 pm
Assuming I figure out how to do it properly. :D

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:46 pm
It's the Glossary; go hardcore and use human skin.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Iron Prime wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:55 pm
AllenGould wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:46 pm

It's the Glossary; go hardcore and use human skin.
But how many human skins? One, Two, Three....Fore?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Iron Prime wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:59 pm … depends on your sewing skills?
And which layout you prefer, bringing it back to the OP.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
PDFs rock. Voted for the nice larger variant.
Mine is only in a plastic ( :o ) ring binder (what's-its-English-face?), although the pages are (of course) sleeved, has a large card print for a cover, is custom hand-numbered throughout (per column), and it also contains other relevant rules docs.

In true nerd fashion, it boasts a custom index/introductory page which lists the documents and column numbers. (In my "live" house rules and appendix document, I used that custom numbering to refer to.) The index page is a PDF file, naturally; but I can't attach that -- so I'll attach a JPG. 8)

It is, however, all the old material -- pre-CC, ~2003 -- for use with our Traditional Open play group. So, not your painstaking work, yet. (Which as you know, I greatly admire.)

I guess you don't want pics of that travesty. :P :wink:
Professor Scott wrote:But how many human skins? [...]
I see what you did their [sic], @Professor Scott. :mrgreen:
Attachments:
rules document index (1e, 20190412).jpg
rules document index (1e, 20190412).jpg (322.96 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
 -  
Community Contributor
I'd still like pics of "that travesty." I still think Glossary 1.8 was the prettiest Glossary ever published. Decipher had some great typesetters or something, I dunno.

I'm looking at that cover sheet, which is a pretty neat "snapshot" of the rules environment at the end of Decipher Timez, and am slightly confused about a couple things:

1. Your CRD is dated 3.7.14. But the final Decipher CRD was dated 14.7.03... oh wait never mind I just figured it out.

So your dating format is YY.MM.DD? That works! It just threw me. (I usually do YYYY-MM-DD because four-digit years eliminate a lot of ambiguity.) And by then I'd already written half the post and it was too late to turn back!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
by then I'd already written half the post and it was too late to turn back!
LOL!
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:26 pmSo your dating format is YY.MM.DD?
Yes. Always. First thing I do when installing an OS: changing the date format.
That works!
It gets the job done. And it has the distinct advantage that it sorts (folder, files) in alphabetical AND chronological order.
I learnt that at work in 2003 and immediately adopted it with reckless abandon.
I'd still like pics of "that travesty."
Was 'fraid so. When I get around to it (and dig it up), I'll try to remember. 8)
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:36 pm It gets the job done. And it has the distinct advantage that it sorts (folder, files) in alphabetical AND chronological order.
Only within the same century, though!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:50 pm
SudenKapala wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:36 pm It gets the job done. And it has the distinct advantage that it sorts (folder, files) in alphabetical AND chronological order.
Only within the same century, though!
I knew -- albeit only after I put my PC on standby -- that someone would nitpick that oversight in my reply. :roll: Of course, if the situation warrants it, one does switch to YYYY.MM.DD. :P
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation