This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
It's time for another First Edition Friday Question! I have been neck deep in old rules supplements lately, and it's got me all nostalgic thinking of war stories from games past.

1E is full of zillions and zillions of decisions, and the Official Tournament Reports are filled with pages of players kicking themselves for the wrong decisions they made in a game. I myself am very bad at decisions, and I often build my decks in order to remove as many decisions from my life as possible. But, sometimes, we make an absolutely right decision, one we didn't remotely plan before the game, and the whole game pivots on it.

For example -- this isn't even me, this is princedetenebres, but it was such a perfect play that it is seared into my memory--I was playing a Borg Assimilator against Pope's DS9 Cardassian/Romulans. I immediately routed them; I assimilated Morn as a counterpart on Turn 3, then spent much of the rest of the game assimilating Romulans to run up the score with Add Distinctiveness. I never managed to finish scouting another mission, but I sure as heck prevented him from solving one!

As the timer ticked down, Pope threw a bunch of people on a near-suicidal mission attempt in the Gamma Quadrant (which failed), subtly goading me to attack. I had my cube of non-essential personnel off trying to score some missions and bring home the full win, so my only available ship was a Tactical Cube with all my key personnel aboard -- but who cares? He didn't have anywhere close to enough firepower to hurt me. Even if he somehow damaged me, I had a TON of Borg onboard, and most could be easily recovered if need be.

What I missed -- and what Pope did not -- was that he had both To Be Or Not To Be and Elim in play, with a tactics side deck that caused generic random casualties. I forgot about both these cards and blundered on in. I killed all his remaining personnel... but he not only damaged my Tac Cube with To Be Or Not To Be; he used Elim's special skill to turn the random damage kills into his choice; and he used that choice to kill Morn Of Borg. Since my only "mission points" were from the Assimilate Counterpart on Morn, I instantly dropped from 60 points to 0 points that "counted towards winning" and we ended the game on a True Tie. Absolutely brilliant play involving an obscure interaction that I would never have remembered if I'd been in his shoes -- and he not only remembered it on the spot, I'm pretty sure he planned the whole thing for me to blunder into, all on the fly.

What's your best in-game decision ever? How did it change the outcome? Tell me your stories!
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
A game against Jon Carter’s battle Borg. He had my ship in a Tractor Lock. My decisions were either sit there and do nothing, or beam down and attempt my mission. I decided to try to salvage some points, and also decided to cloak just in case.

Then I hit God, and failed it. Only available target… was Jon’s ship! Boom!

Best decision ever!
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
KazonPADD wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:41 am A game against Jon Carter’s battle Borg. He had my ship in a Tractor Lock. My decisions were either sit there and do nothing, or beam down and attempt my mission. I decided to try to salvage some points, and also decided to cloak just in case.

Then I hit God, and failed it. Only available target… was Jon’s ship! Boom!

Best decision ever!
You forgot that Flagship recovered doesn't work if it is my card doing the destroying. Game over man, game over.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I was playing a test game against Niall last Fall. I was playing Hirogen holograms with Obsession against his Crell Moset deck. He beamed onto my Olarra to start Crell’s nasty work. However, he had forgotten Iden was there. I quickly used Iden’s [DL] of Children of Light (which I threw in because I happened to have a slot in the Tent) to capture Crell and deny Niall all those juicy free plays draws.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Sir Rogue: Preparing to seed dilemmas (pre-OTF), wanting the upper hand. "Pass."
Sir Dan: Playing a speedy Klingon deck, expecting to be faster. "Pass!"

It was so long ago I don't even recall who won. Or, if I'm being honest, if I passed first. But playing pure speed with no dilemmas at a high-level event was hilarious.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
The most recent one TWO (Bonus Answer!) that come to mind were both in the 2019 Manassters final against Lucas Thompson @edgeofhearing . We interweaved a couple of missions but he had a clump of 3 on my right and I had a clump of 3 on my left. I chose to put my 2-card Dead End combo at the far right end mission. My goal was to force play back down my way so my Captain's Log-enhanced Vulcan fleet could do some damage to Lucas's turbo-feds (or at least contain them).

The strategy worked, as not only was that the first mission Lucas went to, he named Cytherians with The Genesis Effect and bounced off the dead end. This did in fact allow me to keep him contained on that one end of the space line.

Bonus move: late in that same game, with containment established, I took a page out of Lucas's playbook and named Cytherians with *my* Genesis Effect. While I wasn't sure whether or not Lucas would actually seed a Cytherians there, I wanted to hedge against losing a ship and crew from containment duty.

Turns out he *did* put a Cytherians combo there (player move, btw, always go where they don't expect you) and I was able to clear the mission and solve, which got me over 50 points and allowed me to solve a Dead End-ed Vulcan for the win.

The final score of that game was 100-0, but it was actually a deeply strategic game where it took good deckbuilding work AND good in-game play to pull out the win against a very good and very FAST [1E-TNG] [Fed] Speed Deck played by a player who knew what he was doing with it.

Definitely a great game to close out Manassters weekend. 8)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Back in the day, I put together a deck to play against the friend who got me into the game (and who had a much better collection than I had) and I had a sneaky feeling he was going to try to use the Horga'hn. So I decide to throw in a copy of Jamaharon into my deck, and it was probably the only time ever I've stocked the card.

Just as he earns the Horga'hn, I've got Jamaharon in my hand and immediately play it.

His reaction of "... Let me see that card... *sigh* *discards Horga'hn*" was SO worth it.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation