This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
OTSD is great, and in many cases the default way to play sealed/limited 1E.

But limiting it to just Premere/AU packs can get a little old.

However, the set itself supports Fed/Rom/Kln, and they are the common theme in many of the expansions, both Virtual and Physical.

It wouldn't be too complicated to assign rarities for pack purposes to many of the cards in the virtual expansions, and create fake packs.

As a proof of concept, I combined the three virtual TOS sets (The Cage, The Neutral Zone, and A Private Little War), and assigned very quick rarities. (Very quick.) I also marked for removal any of the cards that were not relevant to the theme at all. (Community Leader, Long Live the Empire, Shara'zhad).

It's very rough, but it was enough for me to think there is *something* there as a possibility. Replace the removed cards with other flavorful cards from other expansions, throw in a few staples for dilemmas perhaps and you've got a stew.

My draft isn't ready for viewing yet, but is this an idea people would be interested in seeing fleshed out?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
What's worked well in my experience:

Virtual TNG Starter + applicable [WC] card
Real life Premiere/AU packs + Virtual TNG packs.

No reason you couldn't toss an OTSD into that mix.

Should make for playable and competitive, yet relatively simple decks, which is a good place to be for a sealed event.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
@OKCoyote put together something he called Caretaker Sealed a couple of months ago. It's OTSD, but with Voyager. His rules stated you could extend the Triple Treaty to [Kaz] and [Vid]. You can see the rules here. It was an interesting twist on OTSD.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:38 pm @OKCoyote put together something he called Caretaker Sealed a couple of months ago. It's OTSD, but with Voyager. His rules stated you could extend the Triple Treaty to [Kaz] and [Vid]. You can see the rules here. It was an interesting twist on OTSD.
I don't know what everyone else thought but I really enjoyed putting this cardpool together. I would probably run this again.

Maybe I can do something similar with a DS9 card pool.

Hmm... *starts taking notes*
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
OKCoyote wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:16 am
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:38 pm @OKCoyote put together something he called Caretaker Sealed a couple of months ago. It's OTSD, but with Voyager. His rules stated you could extend the Triple Treaty to [Kaz] and [Vid]. You can see the rules here. It was an interesting twist on OTSD.
I don't know what everyone else thought but I really enjoyed putting this cardpool together. I would probably run this again.

Maybe I can do something similar with a DS9 card pool.

Hmm... *starts taking notes*
I liked it. :shifty:

I think a DS9 version could be more challenging, since you have more affiliations available. You could say the Triple Treaty extends to [Baj] and [Car]. If you include Dominion and BoG packs in the pool, folks will have to hope that the Dominion treaties show up in order to play with those folks. Your curated packs could contain at least one Dom treaty.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 am I think a DS9 version could be more challenging, since you have more affiliations available. You could say the Triple Treaty extends to [Baj] and [Car]. If you include Dominion and BoG packs in the pool, folks will have to hope that the Dominion treaties show up in order to play with those folks. Your curated packs could contain at least one Dom treaty.
Treaty: Cardassian/Dominion & Alpha Quadrant Alliance (of course you'd have to play w/ Reshape the Quadrant )
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
HoodieDM wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:58 am
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 am I think a DS9 version could be more challenging, since you have more affiliations available. You could say the Triple Treaty extends to [Baj] and [Car]. If you include Dominion and BoG packs in the pool, folks will have to hope that the Dominion treaties show up in order to play with those folks. Your curated packs could contain at least one Dom treaty.
Treaty: Cardassian/Dominion & Alpha Quadrant Alliance (of course you'd have to play w/ Reshape the Quadrant )
Why? They’re not [RC] cards. You can seed them with Open Diplomatic Relations

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:34 pm
Treaty: AQA doesn't do anything unless RtQ is in play. You need your cards to have the [1E-DS9] icon to be compatible.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maybe have a 'yes, please' pack: include [RC] , treaties, outposts, etc.?

Even in the glory days of OTSD it sucked to have a great set of characters but no treaty - or worse yet no missions. We don't want to take all the drafting/chance out but it would should make sure no one gets screwed...
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Armus wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:36 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:34 pm

Treaty: AQA doesn't do anything unless RtQ is in play. You need your cards to have the [1E-DS9] icon to be compatible.
Durp. Forgot that. Thank you.
I had a few ideas... but most of them were insane.

One was to create your own booster packs for the event. Then you can choose what cards you want to use from any set. Each pack would have X amount of personnel, missions, events etc. from certain sets, and rarity could be Y amount as well. Then you can week out the fodder so people get more cards they can use in each pack. This would be a lot of work... an insane amount of work that could lead to...madness...

Another idea was to make mock starter decks for a campaign type scenario. Each player chooses one at the start of the event. Each deck gives a batch of cards to support an affiliation or faction. For example, give each player 200 cards and tell them to pick 100 to make their decks. Each following elimination phase, the surviving players get to choose a booster that continues to add to their affiliation or faction. You would have a pool of booster packs made up for each faction/affiliation. Remember, the booster they choose was made to improve the deck they chose, it can still be randomized cards, but if someone is playing Maquis, then boosters they are choosing from would be all helpful for the Maquis, some of them specifically. They then get to tweak their decks for the next group of games. This would reward your victory from the previous round while making yourself and your opponents less predictable in the next round.
So lets say we wanted to do a sealed deck tournament themed around DS9 seasons one and two. So our affiliations/factions could be Federation, Cardassian, Bajoran and Maquis. There could also be mixed affiliation faction decks. Now, the factions/affiliations were chosen from DS9 Seasons 1 and 2, but the cards could come from anywhere you like, or you could just use DS9 logo cards where possible, but I wouldn't worry about what season they come from. Once again... insanity leading to madness...

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]