This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm trying to figure out how Ravenous Hunger can actually be used. I see there are only two public decks that contain it -- one of which was done purely for a theme deck that was to be based on the TOS from the episode it is drawn from.

I feel like the point of this card was to allow someone to start the Planet Killer in play with Obsession, and then play this later. (Maybe even with a couple more seeded planet killers to really make sure one is headed towards the target planet when it has entered play.)

What I don't get is why playing this card would be beneficial to me and harmful to my opponent. Presumably, I would have to seed only [Dual] dilemmas at the targeted mission, since I would not know whether they would be encountered before or after the planet was destroyed. (And according to the glossary any planet dilemmas seeded at the space mission are mis-seeds.)

Presumably, if someone played with only 3 planet missions you could try to turn them all into space missions, thereby requiring that player to take an extra 40 points to win (so long as you guard against an opponent doing your missions) but how likely is that to ever actually happen?

Am I wrong in thinking that this card actually hurts me rather than my opponent by messing up my dilemmas?

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
First thought is that you could combine with The Squire's rules to prevent your dilemma combos being messed up, but that only lets you get the one planet killer.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Back in The Cage playtesting, the trick was to wait until your opponent solved a [P] mission, then get Planet Killer into play by some means (probably Urgent Warning), then blow it up.

Player has no longer solved a [P] mission and must either (a) go solve another planet mission to win, or (b) score an additional 40 points to win.

Alternatively: hit a 40 or 35-point mission with Ravenous Hunger. Seed [S] or [D] dilemmas there. Combine with other point loss to force opponent to a 4th mission.

If you're really worried about opponent facing the [S] dilemmas too early, before you've blown up the planet, seed Dead End at the front.

Full disclosure: I helped design this card. It was often on the bubble, because it was unbelievably difficult to get it to (1) blow up a fricking planet which is the planet killer's whole jam and we couldn't exactly renege on that, (2) be good enough to be playable, (3) not so good that it broke the game.

We failed (3) a lot, but we also failed (2) a lot, and ultimately this was the most viable version we could get.

And that's pretty much everything I remember from playtesting this beast.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:54 pm Back in The Cage playtesting, the trick was to wait until your opponent solved a [P] mission, then get Planet Killer into play by some means (probably Urgent Warning), then blow it up.
For Urgent Warning, does the opponent choose both the spaceline, and which end of that spaceline? Or does the player playing the card get to choose the spaceline, while the opponent gets to choose the end?
 -  
Community Contributor
Former Designer hat off, Current Rules hat on:

Opponent gets to choose both.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:24 pm Former Designer hat off, Current Rules hat on:

Opponent gets to choose both.
OK. Makes it even less useful.

Has there been a ruling on that before?
 -  
Community Contributor
Dunno; I'm just reading the card. "A spaceline end (opponent's choice)" does not seem to imply any quadrant limitation.
 -  
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:31 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:24 pm Opponent gets to choose both.
OK. Makes it even less useful.
Not sure this is an easy choice for opponent. On the one hand, he puts it on his spaceline, and maybe you Ravenously Hunger a planet of his, although that may surprise him since nobody plays that card and he's probably forgotten about it.

On the other hand, he puts it on your spaceline and you blow it up for a cool 26 points with Obsession.
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]