This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I remember vaguely a deck I ran at something, that abused Ajur and Boratus, but I also thought there was some trick at the time about abusing the mirror Ferengi that download each other in a loop.

I'm sure it no longer works (which is a good thing), but I can't remember what it was. Any one have an idea?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ah yes, the Mr. Mister trick. Each of the four Mirror Ferengi downloads another in a chain (Mr. QuarkMr. RomMr. NogMr. BruntMr. Quark again).

Attempt a mission where you have self-seeded Chula: the Lights with one of the Misters. They return to hand and download the next in the chain. Repeat until your hand is as large as you want, then Masaka to draw your whole deck.

(This is the extreme version which fails to many [Ref] cards, but there are milder versions which are more robust.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Rachmaninoff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:51 pm Ah yes, the Mr. Mister trick. Each of the four Mirror Ferengi downloads another in a chain (Mr. QuarkMr. RomMr. NogMr. BruntMr. Quark again).

Attempt a mission where you have self-seeded Chula: the Lights with one of the Misters. They return to hand and download the next in the chain. Repeat until your hand is as large as you want, then Masaka to draw your whole deck.

(This is the extreme version which fails to many [Ref] cards, but there are milder versions which are more robust.)
You left off the kicker. The rest of your deck is [1E-AU] personnel and an [1E-AU] ship. So you STP drop your Supercrew and either Q-Bypass or just roll over whatever nonsense your opponent put under your missions.

Super cheesy but yeah, by the time MM came out there were multiple ways to shut it down.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:01 pm
Rachmaninoff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:51 pm Ah yes, the Mr. Mister trick. Each of the four Mirror Ferengi downloads another in a chain (Mr. QuarkMr. RomMr. NogMr. BruntMr. Quark again).

You left off the kicker. The rest of your deck is [1E-AU] personnel and an [1E-AU] ship. So you STP drop your Supercrew and either Q-Bypass or just roll over whatever nonsense your opponent put under your missions.

Super cheesy but yeah, by the time MM came out there were multiple ways to shut it down.
You're right, that is cheesiest version. But you could use the trick as a setup for anything involving a bunch of cards in your hand -- Olav had a Children of Light deck using a bunch of EMH Program and I Tried to Warn You (suspending play to beat a Scorched Hand) to play All the Holograms.

I was never rich enough to have enough Misters to draw my WHOLE deck in one swoop... but I did have some success using it as an engine to draw 8 cards a turn to fuel Barzan Wormhole or Caretaker's Array drops after Voyager released, with enough spare room for additional Obelisks (to keep the Masakas flowing) and Kevins (against Villagers with Torches specifically, but generally helpful in my metagame at the time)
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:01 pm Super cheesy but yeah, by the time MM came out there were multiple ways to shut it down.
I wonder how many modern decks stock the counters, though?

Just recalling how many times Q reared it's ugly head over the years...

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:18 pm I wonder how many modern decks stock the counters, though?
In OTF the General Quarters rule kills the deck cold (and the self-seed rule makes it harder to hit your own Chula: the Lights).

In Open it is still possible but any one of Villagers with Torches, Scorched Hand, General Quarters, and It's Only a Game (if the payload is a giant report with crew) will spoil the trick. And Tribunal of Q makes it hard to avoid the [Ref] cards. (For the sake of academics, the old loopholes were that Villagers is vulnerable to Kevin and itself provides a way out through Thermal Deflectors; and Goddess of Empathy would stop a Scorched.)

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Yep, pretty sure Chula is what I was thinking of. Thanks!

I'm very ok with the deck not being playable anymore. It was one of those memories that came up and was annoying me not being able to figure it out.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation