This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello folks!

It's Worlds weekend, with the 1E World Championship taking place today. I sent a few spoilers for Maggie to share, and I thought I'd take the time to share one of them with you today too. After all, if you can't be in Chicago, that doesn't mean you can't see part of the new stuff!

This is a spoiler for The Trial Never Ended, which you'll be hearing more about before the end of the month. I've included the rest of the discussion - including the spoiler itself - behind a hidden/spoiler tag. I can't promise that will be the case for the replies, so I suggest you avoid this thread entirely if you don't want to see any spoilers.

Here's the spoiler:

1E Promo - Q A Dazzling Flash.jpg
1E Promo - Q A Dazzling Flash.jpg (429.31 KiB) Viewed 6998 times
If the image isn't working for you, here's the card's text:
[Dual] DILEMMA {ST: TNG}
Q: A DAZZLING FLASH
The sudden appearance of Q on the U.S.S. Enterprise often signals the start of unusual experiences like post-apocalyptic courtrooms, Borg encounters, or a trip to Sherwood Forest.
Crew or Away Team has a Q-Flash with X cards from opponent's Q-Continuum, where X = number of personnel present. Discard dilemma. (Immune to Q2.)
296 VP
Now, you might notice this has the virtual promo expansion icon and a VP collector's number. You're right, and this isn't technically from The Trial Never Ended. It's an AI virtual promo for a card that is in that expansion, but featuring a TNG property logo instead of what you'll find in TTNE itself. I wonder what other property logos might feature a "dazzling flash"?

So what do you think of Q: A Dazzling Flash? What do you think this means for the future of Q cards, [Q] cards, and what else you might find in (or adjacent to) The Trial Never Ended? Sound off with your best theories!

And don't forget to follow @TrekCC on Twitter for the latest updates live from this weekend's World Championships in Chicago. I'm so eager to see what people played and most importantly, how much fun they're having. Keep an eye on these events as you go about your weekend - and may it be a fantastic one for everyone.

-crp

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
reaction: mixed.

I love the look and the design. I really love the idea of keywording Q-Flash, and the idea that many other cards an invoke a q-flash. There's lots of potential design space there, whether it's used or not.

however

This card as is feel like "just" a way to fix the issue with Q-Flash and the current rules of you can only seed 2, when the original deisgn let you seed 1 at each mission.

While that's a good thing to bring back (IMO), I think there might have been cleaner ways, such as the rules saying they don't apply to q-flashes, or errata to q-flash saying so itself. (After all, if anything can ignore our rules, it's Q.).

(That said, I don't like the idea of a card exempting itself from rules that exist in just one format, because that feels like rules issues, not game card issues.).

Tl;dr: I like the implications of the card, but don't like that 1/?? of the space in a new set is fixing a rules "mistake" that prevents us from seeding up to 6 Flashes to begin with.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I like it just for the ability to double q Flash in a single mission attempt. It's shenanigans and I like shenanigans. It's what makes 1e the best game ever. Controlled chaos.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I am not sure I follow you guys' thoughts properly. I like the card, but you guys seem to think that [Door] Q-Flash will still be seeding under missions? I thought they already told us they were separating the "under Mission seeding" card from the "Doorway phase Side deck opening" seed card.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
winterflames wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:33 pm I am not sure I follow you guys' thoughts properly. I like the card, but you guys seem to think that [Door] Q-Flash will still be seeding under missions? I thought they already told us they were separating the "under Mission seeding" card from the "Doorway phase Side deck opening" seed card.
:thumbsup:

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I like cleaning the overload what doorways can do. Seeding on table while also being semi-interrupts seems already excessive. No need to imposter as dilemma as well. Looking forward for a Nexus overwork. Maybe the card type can ve axed completely at some point

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
winterflames wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:33 pm I am not sure I follow you guys' thoughts properly. I like the card, but you guys seem to think that [Door] Q-Flash will still be seeding under missions? I thought they already told us they were separating the "under Mission seeding" card from the "Doorway phase Side deck opening" seed card.
I remember.... But I know from working 2e design that until it's released, it's not a guarantee.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
That is a fair point, I had forgotten that 1EFQ. In that case my opinion remains neutral. It's a good replacement for separating the dilemma part of the flash, it implies other ways of encountering a flash, but does nothing to help the problem of only being limited to two missions by itself.

By phaserihardlyknowher (Ben Daeuber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:35 am I like cleaning the overload what doorways can do. Seeding on table while also being semi-interrupts seems already excessive. No need to imposter as dilemma as well. Looking forward for a Nexus overwork. Maybe the card type can ve axed completely at some point
:thumbsup:

Really in favor of cleaning up Q-Flash and all [Q] . Not that there's not fun things there, but I'd say it's one of the stranger parts of the ruleset.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
edgeofhearing wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:46 pm I can't remember ever having a more viscerally negative response to a card reveal since DQSS.
What about it didn't you like?
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:13 pm
edgeofhearing wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:46 pm I can't remember ever having a more viscerally negative response to a card reveal since DQSS.
What about it didn't you like?
I love PAQ cards. I know they're weird and and poorly worded and don't always always don't do what they say, and I know that causes a lot of problems.

But, when I use those PAQ cards in decks, it makes me feel happy. I love seeing Taitt as much for the 500th time as I did the first time, and I know I'm not the only one.

This card, if I understand correctly, replaces a PAQ card. I guess I'll still have a Q-Flash doorway on the side deck, but I will sorely miss seeing that card with its oversize image popping up during mission attempts.

Now, it's true, other cards have replaced PAQ cards over the years. I grumbled when Coming of Age dumped a bunch of 4-skill TNG-icon universals on us, because they crowded out the old PAQ TNG universals (and diluted the TNG flavor of having a low average skill density to boot). But there (as with similar cases), those cards didn't outright replace a function of a PAQ card, which is I think why my gut reaction is so negative towards it.

I'll still play this silly game of course, I'm not rage quitting or anything.

I'm just flipping a few tables here and there.

(That's energy I really should have spent writing up articles for the new Caretaker beginner decks, sorry.)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
A reasonable PoV.

I don't happen to agree, but I can understand it. I especially like that it's a [Dual] dilemma. :shifty:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation