This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
stressedoutatumc wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:28 pm Apologies if this has been asked or if it's obvious, but does the Finest Crew in the Fleet work with Enterprise-B or Enterprise-C personnel? I don't know if it falls under the dash or colon or other rules or just interacts with "U.S.S. Enterprise" (D) folks.
No. "U.S.S. Enterprise" != "U.S.S. Enterprise-B" or "U.S.S Enterprise-C"
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
I was going to be quick with my answer which would have been similar to @Armus's. But... when I went to look for why that is, I couldn't find the rules to back up the assertion.

The "colon rule" doesn't seem to have an exception for the ship names, so why doesn't the colon rule apply to them?
https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/i ... colon-rule
Rulebook wrote:when a card references a particlar card title, cards that have that exact title followed by a colon, dash, or the numeral "II" are equivalent to that card title.
This seems to be a novel interpretation of the effects of the colon rule.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Off the cuff, I think it's because Finest Crew references in lore, and colon rule deals with card titles.

Which... means that Finest's first clause only counts the D(efault) Enterprise crew, but you could report them to any of the U.S.S. Enterprises?
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
I have more than half of a suspicion that the honest-to-goodness difference here is "dash" vs. "hyphen".

This suspicion does not make me happy. The game should not require players to distinguish between similar punctuation marks -- even though the difference is fairly clear on most cards. (Armus - Skin of Evil is obviously a dash, as is Incoming Message - Ferengi, whereas El-Adrel Creature is a hyphen and Gold-Pressed Latinum is too. But... ugh?)

However, it would explain the universal intuition we are having here.
 -  
Community Contributor
How many "real" colon rule cards are still using hyphens? Seems a possible solution is to get Tasha and whoever else is on the dash/hyphen errata'ed over, and then tighten to rule to only be X:Y?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:17 pm How many "real" colon rule cards are still using hyphens? Seems a possible solution is to get Tasha and whoever else is on the dash/hyphen errata'ed over, and then tighten to rule to only be X:Y?
If you, like me, don't know the difference between a dash and a hyphen, Q-uality Time trips it.
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:25 pm If you, like me, don't know the difference between a dash and a hyphen, Q-uality Time trips it.
I googled the difference between hyphens, em-dashes and en-dashes (because yes there's multiples).. and got this article, which explains things clearly and nope still doesn't make any sense to me.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/hyphens-and-dashes/
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:17 pm How many "real" colon rule cards are still using hyphens? Seems a possible solution is to get Tasha and whoever else is on the dash/hyphen errata'ed over, and then tighten to rule to only be X:Y?
Despite my rank embarrassment at missing Incoming Message - The Continuum just today (probably fine; it doesn't work like any other Incoming Message card), that is my general plan and desire. Just need an excuse to get in there and whack a dozen or so Premiere cards with clarifying errata in one go. (It's overwhelmingly Premiere cards.)

(And that excuse might just be on the calendar! Hello Project Bookend!) (EDIT: for real, those of you with UP Rules access are gonna be SUPER impressed at what I spent Saturday night doing instead of finishing the TTNE rules supplement.)
 -  
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:49 pm Back to the original question. Finest Crew looks for "U.S.S. Enterprise" in lore. Why wouldn't Rachel Garrett or Richard Castillo pass that check? What's the current written rule that makes that not work?
Because the word in their lore isn't "U.S.S. Enterprise", it's "U.S.S. Enterprise-C".

Same way that "cause" and "because" are different words. :)
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:56 pm
JeBuS wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:49 pm Back to the original question. Finest Crew looks for "U.S.S. Enterprise" in lore. Why wouldn't Rachel Garrett or Richard Castillo pass that check? What's the current written rule that makes that not work?
Because the word in their lore isn't "U.S.S. Enterprise", it's "U.S.S. Enterprise-C".

Same way that "cause" and "because" are different words. :)
What rule says that?
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0