This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

How do you play 1E?

I play to play.
31%
I play to win.
17%
I play to do cools things.
26%
I play to Direct my own Star Trek Episode.
6%
I just like collecting the cards.
6%
I don't play.
3%
I just live here.
11%

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Let's be frank, I have never given a single thought to the Metagame. I play this game to do cool things with a bunch of cool cards and don't actually care how long a game lasts. But some of you do care. Some of you put Thought into what you might face, how to best win, or how many cards to draw each turn to best work your free reports. Heck, some of you script your first several turns!

How many are like me? Play to have fun, not necessarily to win?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
winterflames wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:47 pm Let's be frank, I have never given a single thought to the Metagame. I play this game to do cool things with a bunch of cool cards and don't actually care how long a game lasts. But some of you do care. Some of you put Thought into what you might face, how to best win, or how many cards to draw each turn to best work your free reports. Heck, some of you script your first several turns!

How many are like me? Play to have fun, not necessarily to win?
These categories are not mutually exclusive.

I play to win by doing cool things, mainly related to achievements. Once I've won a tournament with a specific deck and cashed the achievements, I move on to the next thing.

I enjoy both the deckbuilding and playing challenges this approach presents.

:twocents:

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I play to win but seldom do.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I disagree with @Armus You are playing to win, you said it yourself.
Once I've won a tournament with a specific deck
The other stuff is a cool side effect, "how do I win with this?" style thinking.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
winterflames wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:45 pm I disagree with @Armus You are playing to win, you said it yourself.
Once I've won a tournament with a specific deck
The other stuff is a cool side effect, "how do I win with this?" style thinking.
Sure. I never said otherwise. 'Win' achievements are a thing.

But winning isn't the *only* thing I'm interested in. If it was, I'd find one deck and totally power game optimize it to win as much as possible.

The fact that I don't do that (and really don't find much appeal in that approach) underscores my initial point: I play to win, but I don't *just* play to win.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i kinda like to build decks that direct an episode, but usually those arent very competitive even when tuned.
so on tournaments i usually play to win, as everybody should.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I play to win after first making life difficult for myself. It's a super niche thing, but a large part of what makes a physical build interesting to me is if traditional cards can make up most of the missions and personnel. I also like to stick close to 30 cards in the draw deck. On top of that accounting for virtual cards is still a must. Somehow it keeps me content.

Just checked and it looks like I have [Dom] solvers missing from my decklists... again. Last I remember was updating them for the dilemmas that ask for three personnel of a given classification--I think they needed [NA] or Treaty injection--and now they're all gone. Maybe time for another try? The CC keeps bringing in the goods, and perhaps there's something sublime for a really awkward mission selection.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I figure im the same as Armus.

I only play with two buddies so, sure, winning is awesome. But, for me, its more having fun and trying something funky (usually something that i have seen on the boards).

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I play to have fun but am also competitive. But, there’s a limit. For example, I’m pretty disgusted with the mechanic used to win this last worlds. No offense, but that take the “anything to win” mentality too far and is kinda contrary to the game itself in its current state.

I also enjoy the personal challenge of deck building. Both in the main and the dilemma (which is my favorite part). Half of my playgroup runs battle decks. I enjoy thinking about this to not die. Moves and countermoves. I like to win, but I’m not concerned if I do not. I’m way past that point in my life.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Depends on the context of the game, honestly.

If I'm playing online or in a local tournament, I'm more likely to build something that is trying out something weird or a new deck type I haven't done before.

Interaction is my preferred style. It a turn cycle goes through without your cards and my cards interacting in some way, I'm sad. That might be capture, battle, assimilation, or something else.

On the flip side is if it's a "big" tournament. Something like regionals/nationals/worlds. Those are the places to try for winning first. Find the metagame weakness and exploit it. Even if I wouldn't enjoy playing that way at a "normal" tournament, there is a joy in occasionally just competing as hard as you can.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
I always try to use cards/strategies that don't see much play, and cause chaos on the spaceline.

Winning is a bonus though, but I always attempt missions with a questionable skill matrix... :)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
My scouting report is pretty simple - plays to win but will try to do it in the most interesting way possible - preferably with a card or combo that no one has used before...
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Most of my playing time over the past year and a half has been playtesting new cards. In doing so, I try to do one or both of the following:

a) make sure the cards work the way the designers intended them to work,
b) look for ways the designers didn't intend them to work and poke holes.

Both are very fun, and both are making me be a better deck builder. Which, honestly, doesn't take much - I'm a semi-decent player but a rubbish deck builder.

-crp

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I play to play or to do cool things. Mostly to do cool things but I seldom have time to build decks that do that now so I just scrounge up an old dead deck to have something to play with really. The game just takes too much time to build decks to be worth the time sometimes.
Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]