This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Apologies if this is an obvious one, but with Crystalline Entity and its specific use of the word "aboard"...are stopped personnel "aboard"? The rulebook says to consider them separate and are not "aboard" for the purposes of dilemma, but also says unless specified by a dilemma like CE. But I'm still confused. Help? Thanks. I don't know if the entry is referring to the requirement of music or the killing of all life. I think it's the all-life part but I want to be sure. Here's the rulebook entry:
SEPARATED
During mission attempts, your personnel who are stopped, disabled, in stasis, or under house arrest are separated. Any personnel who are stopped, disabled, placed in stasis, or house arrested during a mission attempt automatically and immediately form a new "separated" crew or Away Team (or join it, if one already exists). Separated personnel automatically rejoin the main team as soon as they are able (when unstopped, removed from stasis, etc.).

Because separated personnel are no longer part of the main mission team, this means they are no longer present: They can no longer be targeted by dilemmas from the mission attempt (unless expressly specified, like on Crystalline Entity). They are not considered to be "aboard" their ship, for the purposes of dilemmas. Furthermore, separated personnel cannot contribute characteristics or skills toward overcoming, curing, or triggering dilemmas encountered during mission attempts. They are completely sidelined.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
stressedoutatumc wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:46 pm Apologies if this is an obvious one, but with Crystalline Entity and its specific use of the word "aboard"...are stopped personnel "aboard"? The rulebook says to consider them separate and are not "aboard" for the purposes of dilemma, but also says unless specified by a dilemma like CE. But I'm still confused. Help? Thanks. I don't know if the entry is referring to the requirement of music or the killing of all life. I think it's the all-life part but I want to be sure. Here's the rulebook entry:
SEPARATED
During mission attempts, your personnel who are stopped, disabled, in stasis, or under house arrest are separated. Any personnel who are stopped, disabled, placed in stasis, or house arrested during a mission attempt automatically and immediately form a new "separated" crew or Away Team (or join it, if one already exists). Separated personnel automatically rejoin the main team as soon as they are able (when unstopped, removed from stasis, etc.).

Because separated personnel are no longer part of the main mission team, this means they are no longer present: They can no longer be targeted by dilemmas from the mission attempt (unless expressly specified, like on Crystalline Entity). They are not considered to be "aboard" their ship, for the purposes of dilemmas. Furthermore, separated personnel cannot contribute characteristics or skills toward overcoming, curing, or triggering dilemmas encountered during mission attempts. They are completely sidelined.
Since CE does not target anyone per se, I believe the callout is in regards to the Music. Since normally all skill requirements must be present in the away team/crew, CE allows for the music to be "aboard", meaning on the ship regardless of whether it is in the crew or not. Essentially aboard is the same as saying "in play, but on this ship".

This phrase "They can no longer be targeted by dilemmas from the mission attempt (unless expressly specified, like on Crystalline Entity). They are not considered to be "aboard" their ship, for the purposes of dilemmas." might make more sense if written this way: "They are no longer targeted by dilemmas from the mission attempt (unless expressly specified, such as "aboard" on Crystalline Entity); they are otherwise not considered to "aboard" their ship, for the purposes of dilemmas.'
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Crystalline Entity is kind of weird.

The Music to pass the dilemma must be "aboard" which means "not separated" which means "in the Away Team (EDIT: crew)." Stopped Music can't help you with this.

BUT if you fail, Crystalline Entity exterminates the entire ship, INCLUDING any stopped & separated Music.

PAQ-era weirdness.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:28 pm Crystalline Entity is kind of weird.

The Music to pass the dilemma must be "aboard" which means "not separated" which means "in the Away Team." Stopped Music can't help you with this.

BUT if you fail, Crystalline Entity exterminates the entire ship, INCLUDING any stopped & separated Music.

PAQ-era weirdness.
I stand corrected.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:28 pm Crystalline Entity is kind of weird.

The Music to pass the dilemma must be "aboard" which means "not separated" which means "in the Away Team (EDIT: crew)." Stopped Music can't help you with this.

PAQ-era weirdness.
Sweet, I thought that was the case but I bat like .225 with 1E gameplay rules. Much appreciated.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation