This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

J’Ddan or J’Dan?

J’Ddan
43%
J’Dan
57%
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Back in 1994, Decipher didn’t have Google, Wikipedia or the Internet. So when it came to sources to spell Klingon names, Decipher used the Script. In the case of J’Ddan the script calls him J’Ddan originally, before switching to J’Dan later on.

A few years later, and when 2E comes out
J’Dan gets renamed with a single D, which aligns with other sources like Memory Alpha.

When the CC reprinted J’Ddan for Coming of Age, we missed the difference between the two versions, and stuck with the original spelling.

So today’s Friday Question is: Should we errata J’Ddan? Should we stick to the original spelling that we’ve used for a quarter of a century? Or should we make him consistent with other sources?

Vote now!
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Sounds like there's a surplus of discarded Ds out there, so let's just add a third one on for flavor.

#VoteJDddan

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
No. that seems way to frivolous of a thing to bother with an errata for. Misspelling a major character like Lwaxana Troi, sure, but not for J'Ddddddddddddddddan

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Errata *if* because of the previous Coming of Age print it's as simple as opening the PSD and 5 clicks.

If it's a burden for Art, then either no errata, OR

My preference is like Magic, errata it, make the note in the Image gallery, and then fix the card image next time there is a reason to.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
I think Berlinghoff was a mis-spelling copied from the Larry Nemecek Companion guide. A case could probably be made to errata all 3…

By ShipNerd
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Personally, i don´t mind. so i am okay with either solution .

Thought about not posting as I have no preference, but I think its also important to point out that I - and maybe more - are good with whats done either way :)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
ShipNerd wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:56 am Personally, i don´t mind. so i am okay with either solution .

Thought about not posting as I have no preference, but I think its also important to point out that I - and maybe more - are good with whats done either way :)
:thumbsup:

ShipNerd speaks for me.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Is this really worth the Art Team's time for some no-name Klingon from Premiere to fix a name that nobody really cares about?

I don't believe it is. There's more important things that could be done, like, y'know, new cards. :P

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:30 pm Is this really worth the Art Team's time for some no-name Klingon from Premiere to fix a name that nobody really cares about?

I don't believe it is. There's more important things that could be done, like, y'know, new cards. :P

"Should we fix it?"

and

"WHEN should we fix it?"

Are two different questions.

To the first I'd answer: Sure. Probably a good idea.

To the second I'd answer: Whenever you get the time and/ or the inclination. No rush.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I think generally, for questions like these, it's good to ask if we're touching the card anyway. If there were no plans to change/reprint J'Ddan, how would you answer? Would that answer change if there were plans?

-crp

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:33 pm I think generally, for questions like these, it's good to ask if we're touching the card anyway. If there were no plans to change/reprint J'Ddan, how would you answer? Would that answer change if there were plans?

-crp
if you are touching it anyway, I could really not care less if you "fix" the name.
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]