This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By foul_owl
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
It was my first time playing in years yesterday. I noticed that my Genetronic Replicator seemed pretty broken. Every dilemma I was encountering effectively did nothing, as I had two medical in my away team.

Can the person selected to be killed be used to power the Genetronic Replicator? The card text says "Prevents" so it's not like the personnel is killed, then brought back to life with the replicator. But flavorwise, it would make sense that if your medical personnel is hurt badly enough that they are about to die, they wouldn't be in any shape to use the replicator on themselves.

How do you make this card fair?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
foul_owl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:30 pm It was my first time playing in years yesterday. I noticed that my Genetronic Replicator seemed pretty broken. Every dilemma I was encountering effectively did nothing, as I had two medical in my away team.

Can the person selected to be killed be used to power the Genetronic Replicator? The card text says "Prevents" so it's not like the personnel is killed, then brought back to life with the replicator. But flavorwise, it would make sense that if your medical personnel is hurt badly enough that they are about to die, they wouldn't be in any shape to use the replicator on themselves.

How do you make this card fair?
I mean, it's been in the OTF ban list for years, so obviously nobody has cracked that code yet.

It's definitely overpowered, but the last thing we want to do is turn it into binder fodder by nerfing it to uselessness.

I'd just say that its time hasn't come yet, but that doesn't mean it won't.

By foul_owl
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Aha! I didn't realize it was banned. That makes a lot of sense.

I just checked the banned list now and wow, I didn't realize Red Alert, Horga'hn, and Palor Toff are banned also!! It makes sense, those cards seem extremely overpowered.

Is there a restricted list?

Thank you!

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
foul_owl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:45 pm Aha! I didn't realize it was banned. That makes a lot of sense.

I just checked the banned list now and wow, I didn't realize Red Alert, Horga'hn, and Palor Toff are banned also!! It makes sense, those cards seem extremely overpowered.

Is there a restricted list?

Thank you!
There's only a restricted list in OTF insofar as you are limited to two copies of a dilemma (or cards that seed like dilemmas). Other games' experience with restricted lists tend to indicate that limiting the number of copies (beyond any copy limit a game might already have in place) increases variance to unacceptably high levels, as games come down to "who draws more overpowered cards".

Sometimes this is tolerated, in service of a principle that players should be able to use as many cards as possible (Magic: the Gathering's Vintage format, for instance), but as a general rule, at least in my view, it's preferable either to ban a card, or allow it to be used on equal terms with every other card from a deckbuilding perspective.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Nobody answered your question.
foul_owl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:30 pm Can the person selected to be killed be used to power the Genetronic Replicator?
No they cannot power the replicator. The glossary is very clear on this point.

Otherwise, it would make your away team pretty much invincible as long as it had 2 Medical in it, which would break the game.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]