This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By ShipNerd
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:47 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:19 pm but one of them is a bugout because a card happens to [DL] it and not the other.

Maybe Design should design a generic bugout (like the one I pitched) that is not very good ("your turn immediately ends" is solid; I also thought about point loss), and then down the road individual factions can develop faction-specific bugouts (that are actually designed as bugouts for that faction, with appropriate stories) as needed.
Only the players abusing it will be against it, I would guess.
I added the strike thought, in stressedoutatumc´s quotes. Because I consider that wording more neutral and allow everyone to be for or against it and being respected with their points of view.

Personally, I think [DL] for dilemma escape or to add personnel to solve a dilemma is powerful.

Weaken [DL] during mission attempts (e.g. by changing the rules) would give the game more turns, which is a good thing because then more interaction could happen. Like [DL] downloaded people from a separate crew/away team when mission attempt has already started and merge once finished and/or BCSWowbagger suggestion. Prevent being destroyed by a dilemma (different affiliation flavored solutions) but end the turn so that opponents ships could initiate an attack or an away team battle / capturing could be initiated.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
ShipNerd wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:39 pm Personally, I think [DL] for dilemma escape or to add personnel to solve a dilemma is powerful.
[DL]s are just too powerful in general, IMO.

(My argument - it's a free card search, a free card play, *and* it breaks all the rules about when you could play that card - including allowing it to work when the copy you already have in your hand normally wouldn't. Oh, plus the fact that it gets to be the nice short icon while any fairer version has to spend a line of text.)

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jjh wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:41 pm Would a "fairer" version simply turn the [DL] icon upside down, so the download goes to hand? (thanks Star Wars CCG!) Would that solve problems or create more?
i would turn SD into an interrupt
 -  
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:36 pm
jjh wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:41 pm Would a "fairer" version simply turn the [DL] icon upside down, so the download goes to hand? (thanks Star Wars CCG!) Would that solve problems or create more?
I'd generalize it even further - you get the fetch, but no timing bennies. If a card costs a card play, SD still requires the card play. If it's an interrupt/doorway, it has to be a legal play.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:48 pm
I'd generalize it even further - you get the fetch, but no timing bennies. If a card costs a card play, SD still requires the card play. If it's an interrupt/doorway, it has to be a legal play.
I.... dislike this a lot less than I thought I would....

Hmmm.....
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Functionally this is just downloading to hand except the small risk of hand manipulation interrupts being removed

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:03 pm

Functionally this is just downloading to hand except the small risk of hand manipulation interrupts being removed
Given that hand manipulation is my biggest concern, I consider this a feature rather than a bug.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:19 pm
pfti wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:03 pm

Given that hand manipulation is my biggest concern, I consider this a feature rather than a bug.
TOS suddenly needs supply depots to function. BWAHAHAHAHA

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:32 pm
Not if you're using Sherman's Peak and K-7... :shifty:

Also, given where TOS is on the power curve, this still feels more like feature than bug...

Pfti you're this idea's best advocate... the more I hear from you, the more I'm liking it! 8)
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:00 pm
pfti wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:32 pm
Not if you're using Sherman's Peak and K-7... :shifty:

Also, given where TOS is on the power curve, this still feels more like feature than bug...

Pfti you're this idea's best advocate... the more I hear from you, the more I'm liking it! 8)
I am not for or against it, I am just thinking it through.

In this thought experiment does that make non-special downloads infinitely better than their special friends.
 -  
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:05 pm In this thought experiment does that make non-special downloads infinitely better than their special friends.
Which nicely brings up the biggest problem I have with the current SD - it basically does *everything*. You get to fetch. You get a free draw. You get a free play. You get to break timing rules. You'd be hard-pressed to make a better version.

And it means that when you *only* offer a "you can have a card up your sleeve whenever you need it", it feels stupidly weak. :D

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
ok so sd goes to hand. clear and simple.
can keep the anytime rule then
we could get a temporary change from jan to march to test the change

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:33 am
pfti wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:05 pm In this thought experiment does that make non-special downloads infinitely better than their special friends.
Which nicely brings up the biggest problem I have with the current SD - it basically does *everything*. You get to fetch. You get a free draw. You get a free play. You get to break timing rules. You'd be hard-pressed to make a better version.

And it means that when you *only* offer a "you can have a card up your sleeve whenever you need it", it feels stupidly weak. :D
FWIW, I think an equally good change to consider is JUST to take away the 'suspends play' aspect out of [DL] . It would fix some of the aforementioned problems but still leave the "special" parts in tact. It would fix the dilemma/cancel part but also weaken it.

Make It So does NOT unstop the crew aboard a shi[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I won't be available Saturday the 27th. Have other[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]