This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i wanna clarify that dilemma interruption isnt my main concern about SD. what triggers me most is "suspend play" its the timing mechanic. Just by the name of it an "Interrupt" should be on the same timing. ("any time" as well btw). But we certinly dont want to become all those effects "suspend plays". So in my mind SD has to become at least Interrupt speed. (as proposed before). I also think thats a reasonable middle ground between "no changes<>to hand"
whether or not there should be bugouts to dilemma, I dont know. Could just unban Senior Staff Meeting. I mean, why does only Borg have such a card?

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:06 pm Could just unban Senior Staff Meeting. I mean, why does only Borg have such a card?
Borg originally got Adapt because there were literally dilemmas that could not be overcome otherwise due to the original scouting rules. (one drone at a time).

SSM would currently really benefit Feds, and good change the Borg too.

*If* SSM came back, I'd ideally like it limited to Non-Borg, so at the least they don't now get two of those cards.

(And in a designing the game from the ground-up perspective, if a card like that was going to exist, I'd prefer each affiliation to have their own version with different requirements, and some icon or keyword preventing you from mixing them.)

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Is SSM comes back, it should specify Classifications, effectively removing [Bor] from the user list while forcing a level of diversification. [Fed] would still have the easiest time, what with most Dual Personnel being [Fed] or [NA] but it would force a somewhat larger attempt than the current card does.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:48 pm Is SSM comes back, it should specify Classifications, effectively removing [Bor] from the user list while forcing a level of diversification. [Fed] would still have the easiest time, what with most Dual Personnel being [Fed] or [NA] but it would force a somewhat larger attempt than the current card does.
IMO, it shouldn't come back. Any way to nullify even a single dilemma should be erratad out of the game. Constructing dilemma is such an important and intricate part of the game, even eliminating one card out of a combo is devastating.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
If we're talking SSM dream erratas, I'd change it from discarding the first dilemma to glancing at it, like Preparation.

It's more restricted than Preparation in some ways, less restricted in others, so could make for an interesting choice.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:04 pm If we're talking SSM dream erratas, I'd change it from discarding the first dilemma to glancing at it, like Preparation.

It's more restricted than Preparation in some ways, less restricted in others, so could make for an interesting choice.
Id be in favor of that. Seeing a dilemma should have a huge cost.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:04 pm If we're talking SSM dream erratas, I'd change it from discarding the first dilemma to glancing at it, like Preparation.

I would just go with "once per game" and a -10 point box as what I would submit to play testing
 -  
Community Contributor
There needs to be an escape hatch for dilemmas, because dilemma combos shouldn't be inviolate.

Now, it should be priced higher than SSM (because "oh, you brought five of the most common skills in the game" might as well be free).

Adapt is roughly the right spot IMO (any Borg player will tell you that having to sit an entire turn to get through a dilemma is *not* the preferred option!)

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
wow.... i haven't looked at Preparation in a long time. How is everyone not using this card? 4 classifications, which just about everyone has turn one, and I get to peek at a card? Does the same thing Scan/FPS do and I don't need to stop a large ship! In fact why would I EVER use scan/FPS when i can use Preparation?
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:12 pm wow.... i haven't looked at Preparation in a long time. How is everyone not using this card? 4 classifications, which just about everyone has turn one, and I get to peek at a card? Does the same thing Scan/FPS do and I don't need to stop a large ship! In fact why would I EVER use scan/FPS when i can use Preparation?
You would use scan/FPS only if you needed to peek at a second or third card in a combo. (And nobody seems to.)

Preparation is fine! The trick, as always, is that each deck only has room for a few interrupts, if that, so it often gets squeezed out. But, if you have space for it, it's a lovely early-game draw.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i think the argument for ssm would be to disrupt "unbeatable combos"
its still way more restricted than SD bugouts.
if you dont like it, bring Quinn
just looking at a card is quite useless. Otherwise we would see way more Implants.
 -  
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:20 am just looking at a card is quite useless. Otherwise we would see way more Implants.
Not necessarily. It depends on your local meta (which is a good thing!)

Where a peek shines is when the meta gets stagnant and seeing A pretty much gives away what B and C are (because everyone combos A-B-C). So you see A, check your crew to know if you're ready to hit that combo, and act accordingly.

Peeks get worse as you move to "well, it could be ABC, or ADE, or ABE...", down to the other extreme of "oh, Squire is in play" where you're just getting an early look at a single card.

Plus, it gives us some continuum between "no touchies" and "nullify entire combo", and options are always good.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
which begs the question, does the cc balance for local metas or major events?
if my opponents would start peeking, id change my dilemma play for sure
 -  
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:51 am which begs the question, does the cc balance for local metas or major events?
<puts on the extra large flashing red sign labeled "JUST MY OPINION">

I think we balance to the information we get, which means it likely skews a bit towards the major events - because those are the events people are more likely to post decklists for (which means we see them), more likely for folks to run into unfamiliar decks (which means we hear about the rules questions)

BUT - I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Major events tend to be the distillation of all the... let's call it "ambition" :shifty: from all the locals packing up their best tricks. So if the major events meta is balanced and fun, the local subsets should be pretty solid as well.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
As I see it, the problem with [DL] is that they, as previously stated, lets you look in the deck and all side decks for the specific card, even if you don't have it there (and as such, be able to shuffle the deck for eternity as each time you do is a new instance and lacks memory). And if you have it and find the target card you get to fetch it into play to the location where the [DL] was triggered. That means that you from one [DL] net a card draw, a free play and the move to a specific location; all in one triggered icon. This is a disaster for game design as there is no flexibility, no space for development, no possibility to tweak "payment" for a better or worse card that you fetch.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]