This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I was thinking about teaching the game to a friend, but its way too much for him.
So I think I will run a slimmed down version.

-no seed cards but 18 Dilemma (feel free to distribute randomly)

-each player has one universal card play, 2 personnel plays and an Interrupt play. Both also draw 2 additional cards.

- [DL] costs the Interrupt play

-quads dont matter. Everything is "alpha" now

-bluffing is allowed, but if the opponent catches you, you lose 5 points (unstaffed ships/mission requirements etc)

maybe its use to someone

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I'd start with the Squire Starters, which all run [WC] play engines and AAH, then with CM draw plus End of Turn draw you can more or less keep pace, with Let's see what's out there for supplemental draws and a regenerate in case you end up on the wrong side of a Barclay's.

My 9 and 7 year olds have really gotten into it this past year. I figure it's only a matter of time before one of them beats me!

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
kids learn way faster. its too much to memorize 30 seed cards, when they basically just allow free plays or draws

By ShipNerd
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Squire for dilemmas
Continuing Mission OR The Final Frontier OR TNG Borg should be easy buildable and strong decks for those who want to enter tournament play while having some sort of a chance. Strong decks are 80% of the victory. DS9 Alliance is also strong but experienced player would win the battle for ds9.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:33 pm tournament play? this guy never seen a single card lol.

and why limit yourself to tng guys? nah
Squire/TNG is a good starting point. If the guy has never seen a card before, it covers the fairly basic mechanics required to play without too much mental overhead.

Once you get those basics down you can expand from there.

IOW: Start with Squire/TNG, but don't end there.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:22 am i dont have access to virtual cards, so starter decks arent an option.
You don't have access.... to a printer?

By ShipNerd
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
copyshops are the cheap option (0.50$ per 9 colored cards + any commen/sleeve to put them in). and everyone can print a deck that he build in lackey using trekcc tools that are now free.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I would say, if you want to do this, make a Conceptual Seed List, where you take Existing cards and cook them into your rules as though they were seeded. This will have the benefit of allowing the learning party to, later, swap out your conceptually seeded cards for different things once they have learned the game.

In your example, the second personnel play and extra draw could be a Conceptual new arrivals.

However, I wouldn't fundamentally change the game by way of altering the interrupt/SD rules, as that would complicate learning the full rules later.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:31 am
Ensign Q wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:22 am i dont have access to virtual cards, so starter decks arent an option.
You don't have access.... to a printer?
i doubt everybody posses a color printer with a decent picture quality and copyshops are closed due to the flu.

im planning to use Tribbles Starters, but theyre way to sluggish on basic rules.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:48 pm I would say, if you want to do this, make a Conceptual Seed List, where you take Existing cards and cook them into your rules as though they were seeded. This will have the benefit of allowing the learning party to, later, swap out your conceptually seeded cards for different things once they have learned the game.

In your example, the second personnel play and extra draw could be a Conceptual new arrivals.

However, I wouldn't fundamentally change the game by way of altering the interrupt/SD rules, as that would complicate learning the full rules later.
yeah, the sd is probably too much, but the ruleset was inspired by the tmp set. which basically defaults to play 3, draw 2-3.
unfortunately running virtual virtual cards makes the affis unbalanced.

By Ausgang (Gerald Sieber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Afaik you can still order online and pick it up at the doorstep. If that doesn't work shipment is only 2 EUR. Maybe just give them a call. They are usually very supportive - I've been printing my stuff there for years.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]