This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
is there any?
im surprised it doesnt play as event on the ship

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Nope. It's pretty strong.

Best counter, to quote Lily:

"Blow up the damn ship!"

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
crazy. blowing up isnt that easy
when did they start using artifacts without playing as...?

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:09 pm is there any?
Cloaking device. It can't kill anyone on a cloaked or Phased Ship. It's not perfect but it's an alternative to fighting.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
geraldkw wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:58 pm
Cloaking device. It can't kill anyone on a cloaked or Phased Ship. It's not perfect but it's an alternative to fighting.
true, but you cant cloak everything. i think there is an interrupt missing that kills artifacts

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:39 pm
geraldkw wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:58 pm
true, but you cant cloak everything. i think there is an interrupt missing that kills artifacts
HARD Disagree.

Earning an artifact takes a lot of work. You either need to solve a mission or jump through multiple hoops to pull shenanigans.

On the other hand, playing an interrupt takes almost no work at all. Why bother going through the trouble of spending a seed slot on an artifact, powering through your dilemma combo to earn it, only to have you go "nah, Fuck you" and nuke it before I've even updated my point total from solving a mission.

Artifacts are, if anything, underplayed as a card type. Creating an auto-nuke counter interrupt would only take it closer to zero.

In the case of Tantalus Field specifically, just shoot the ship. They have to be exposed to use the thing.... don't let them get away with using the thing!

And if you're playing [Fed] ? Too bad. [Fed] gets so many toys I don't have a ton of sympathy for them hitting a speed bump they don't have a ready-made answer for for once.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
the old artifacts could be nuked.
and tantalus is a free download.
all it takes is halkan council and a way to relocate.

with captains log and stuff its also tough to kill, especially when they target your leaders. its active turn one afterall!

its as silly to get your playengine nuked turn 1.

btw field is [Fed] ;)
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:55 pm and tantalus is a free download.
all it takes is halkan council and a way to relocate.
Which I think is an argument for why getting to just download Artifacts is maaaybe a bit too good? (And letting you get that artifact as part of a seedable download chain is *hilariously* too good.)

I don't think Tantalus is too powerful by artifact standards. (Although I'd note that it not playing-as anything is a pretty serious upgrade). But no-one actually gets it as an artifact - they get it as a Kirk addon for free.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
yeah, you get a ship with matching commander, a unstoppable kill mechanic and a communicator for one seed and a mission, that can go in any deck.

im not saying its npe, but it definitely lacks an answer.
shooting the ship is too late, if even possible.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:20 pm yeah, you get a ship with matching commander, a unstoppable kill mechanic and a communicator for one seed and a mission, that can go in any deck.

im not saying its npe, but it definitely lacks an answer.
shooting the ship is too late, if even possible.
You wanna talk Interrupts for answers?

You'd be amazed at what a well-timed Shipwreck can do to an opponent's plans.

That I.S.S. Enterprise ain't so scary with no buffs.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
yeah , but u kill the ship after the damage is done. and if they happen to have a hideout,(paxan or homeworld) then good luck shooting at all
there are also a million interrupts to nullify attacks.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If it is just Kirk aboard? Fly to a nebula and Isabella the thing. Boom, interrupt counter.

Or use gold! + nebula + nexus, lead them on like it's an important self-seed dilemma combo, then blow up their ship when they try to kill your Valuable prisoner.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:23 pm That I.S.S. Enterprise ain't so scary with no buffs.
Fair, but you also need to be able to get to them in a single turn without being in range of *them* at the end of your turn. (Or you need to be committing enough cards that a Tantalus kill can't knock out staffing or leaders).

But then we're into "I knew you know what I was going to do, so I've made this devious counter to your counter" territory. :P
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]