This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I wonder if there is consensus, what those mistakes are.

i think my most obvious misplay is the use of (wrong) [1E-AU] Doorways, since a lot of them are restricted.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:13 pm I wonder if there is consensus, what those mistakes are.

i think my most obvious misplay is the use of (wrong) [1E-AU] Doorways, since a lot of them are restricted.
For example? I'm sure I'm using some of them incorrectly.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
In no particular order:

1. Order of play/Interrupting/when you can or cannot/response to actions
2. Where you can play "at a location"
3. Dilemma interactions
4. Dilemma-related downloads
5. Downloads, in general
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
only showing targets on any "oppoent's choice" dilemma.
Show me the entire crew/at you coward!

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:06 pm
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:13 pm I wonder if there is consensus, what those mistakes are.

for example Temporal Micro-Wormhole does not allow you to seed any [1E-AU] . on the other hand Dyson Sphere Door only allows [1E-AU] Dilemma to seed, but not artifacts.
or Temporal Conduit is a once per turn [1E-AU] play. so no Enterprise + download in the same turn. thats also the case with Space-Time Portal

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:29 pm
stressedoutatumc wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:06 pm

for example Temporal Micro-Wormhole does not allow you to seed any [1E-AU] . on the other hand Dyson Sphere Door only allows [1E-AU] Dilemma to seed, but not artifacts.
or Temporal Conduit is a once per turn [1E-AU] play. so no Enterprise + download in the same turn. thats also the case with Space-Time Portal
This is why a lot of the time I just use the AU door instead of one of the others (that might be the better choice) because I don't want to shoot my foot off.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If I am using temporal conduit, I plan to do all my [1E-AU] reporting to my time location anyway.

I usually don't use TMW to report [1E-AU] people, I use it for the Report to Ship clause.

I use STP when I plan to go awormholeing around. So I have to not use [1E-AU] cards or get them all out early.

I usually use Dyson Sphere door as a dilemma download source, not as my primary [1E-AU] activator.

But my boys have made most of these mistakes

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The biggest one of these for new players is Temporal Micro Wormhole. This is not because they will ignore that it only allows personnel and equipment to report, but because it isn't clear to new players that the phrase
Once per game, you may download Space-Time Portal
is something that they have to wait until their first turn of the game to do.

Anyone who reads this card would think, "Great, it says I can download this other doorway that allows me to play any [1E-AU] card once per turn, anyway so I can seed [1E-AU] dilemmas and [1E-AU] cards that must seed, like Temporal Benefactor."

A clarification on all cards that seed and that provide downloads only after the seed phase has ended (and that don't already have a phrase like "in place of your normal card play" that make this obvious) would be helpful given that the downloads on cards like Halkan Council work entirely differently.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
WeAreBack wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:38 am A clarification on all cards that seed and that provide downloads only after the seed phase has ended (and that don't already have a phrase like "in place of your normal card play" that make this obvious)
I see the attraction to this. Would you happen to have a list of cards that would be affected by this handy?
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:24 pm
WeAreBack wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:38 am A clarification on all cards that seed and that provide downloads only after the seed phase has ended (and that don't already have a phrase like "in place of your normal card play" that make this obvious)
I see the attraction to this. Would you happen to have a list of cards that would be affected by this handy?
I'd be every card that doesn't currently have an explicit timing restriction, wouldn't it? So every card with "once/twice/thrice per game", and arguably anything with "per turn" on it as well?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
One of the top misplays is: Using cards like 1st rule, Obelisk, QIR, DH and so on BEFORE your card-play-phase. I think I played that wrong since 1998 until it was officially corrected by the rules comittee of the CC.
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:28 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:24 pm
I'd be every card that doesn't currently have an explicit timing restriction, wouldn't it? So every card with "once/twice/thrice per game"
Yeah, that, and possibly a few other corner cases. (Although only cards that do it in the seed phase, which narrows it a lot.)

But I'm wondering whether anyone has the actual list handy. Going through the card search engine card-by-card to generate these lists is time-consuming, even once you have the criteria (and everyone on Rules has to do it probably once or twice per week already). If nobody has the list, oh well, Rules will have to do it if Rules decides to look at clarifying these interactions. But if the list is already out there, what luck for us.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
WeAreBack wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:38 am
Once per game, you may download Space-Time Portal
is something that they have to wait until their first turn of the game to do.
So, why do you have to wait until YOUR first turn to execute the action? I get that you have to wait until the "game starts", but the glossary doesn't indicate what you are implying. EDIT: with the exception of red dots. But why do I have to wait until my first turn to execute a Defend Homeworld or Reunite Legends download?
once per game
When a card has an effect that may be used "once per game" (including special downloads), you may use that card's effect only once during a game, no matter how many copies of that card you have in play during that game (even universal cards). For example, you may download Reflection Therapy only once per game with Suna's skill, even if you play multiple copies of Suna. You and your opponent may each use such text once per game if you each control a copy of that card. If the same "once per game" skill is included on different cards, you may use the skill once for each card; for example, you may use the ability to destroy seed cards once per game for Ajur and once per game for Boratus.

"Twice per game" and "thrice per game" work similarly - you may use such an effect only two or three times per game, regardless of how many copies of the card you have in play.
 -  
Community Contributor
Unless some other timing is specified, a card that lets you do that something allows it only as an order. (Like moving ships or attempting missions.)

Defend Homeworld's second function is an order. Reunite Legends' download is an order. We know this because they let you do something, but don't give any other timing.

Orders may be executed only during the orders phase of your own turn.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation