This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
enabrantain wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:32 am They also loved to help out binder fodder, so how about a series of seed cards that enhance the less desirable ❖ starships. Give your ❖ Miranda class starships [SD] Medical, your ❖ Romulan Science Vessels and ❖ Oberth Class ships [SD] Science along with other mission bonuses.
This is a good idea, and should be explored further.

Though not just ❖ Mirandas, really all the Mirandas and other weak, Premiere rare ships that were generally quite weak. Those were actually worse, because they were no better than a common ❖ ship, but took up the rare slot in the pack of cards you just opened, instead of a Data or a Horga'hn.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Klauser wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:54 pm And maybe ... just maybe ... with a fairly comprehensive coverage of the Star Trek franchises complete, there would have been no impetus for a 2nd Edition rebirth of the game, or the re-birth of the game under an organization like the Continuing Committee. And the game would be truly dead.
I don't think that that's actually true. First, with so many hours of Trek, I don't think it's realistic to believe Decipher could have covered it all by the time of JJ Trek (at which point, I agree, Star Trek CCG would have ceased to have been profitable and would have been abandoned anyhow, given the evolution of gamers tastes and the inevitable loss of players over time that any long-running CCG will have).

Secondly, the motivation to make new cards isn't just about covering episodes and settings and characters that haven't been covered yet. The Original Trilogy was pretty well covered completely by Decipher, and yet a player's committee exists. Aren't they making some content that's focused on the OT (beyond their expansion into the prequels)?

Because it's just as much about fixing poor design mistakes and making the game better. Decipher always made design mistakes, even before the embezzlement and pressured design schedules of the later years, and those would have to be corrected by those who wanted a better game.

And while some of those mistakes were from inexperience or lack of foresight, some were made due to profit motivations (the CCG was a product first, and a game second). While the embezzlement may have added pressure to prioritize profit even more than they otherwise would have, I'm inclined to believe that greed is a force whose growth in strength over time is inevitable. So we'd be seeing profit-incentivized design mistakes from a "healthy" Decipher regardless, meaning the need by the fans to fix the game would have existed no matter what.

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Hmmm ... you bring up some fair points about whether or not a more robust Decipher would have possibly precluded an organization like the CC coming about. On reflection, if Decipher had continued their stated policy of no errata during 1E era, that supports your argument.

<< A question for you - "Original Trilogy"? Is that your inner SW poking out, or did you mean to say "Original Series"?? ;-) >>

While I admit the TOS [TE] was well covered in Mirror Mirror expansion, I was for the most part fairly disappointed with Decipher's abbreviated take on TOS - particularly the [Kli] and [Rom] affiliations.

As to my final paragraph ... yeah, I can see your point. In retrospect, on a re-read it is a bit dramatic. I was most likely channeling my inner frustration from back when 2E was released while leaving 1E in a somewhat imbalanced stated. Yeah, sure they released some backwards compatible cards, but after the first three or so 2E expansions, any efforts to better balance 1E seemed largely abandoned. What drew me strongly to the CC was their efforts to address those imbalances. I probably should have stated more clearly that HAD Decipher stayed afloat much longer, they might have come around on the 1E errata issue.

Which raises another question - If Decipher HAD stayed afloat longer - would there have been a 2E??

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Klauser wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:32 pm
Which raises another question - If Decipher HAD stayed afloat longer - would there have been a 2E??
Well... considering that 2e came out in late 2002, and Decipher released 14 expansion sets before going out of business in late 2007... I'm going to go ahead and say... yes? :wink:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Klauser wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:32 pm << A question for you - "Original Trilogy"? Is that your inner SW poking out, or did you mean to say "Original Series"?? ;-) >>
No, I was referring to the Star Wars CCG, whose post-Decipher Player Committee continued to make cards despite the fact that the CCG pretty well mined out all the concepts of the Original Trilogy. Suggesting, then, that even if Decipher covered all of Star Trek initially, there'd still be an impetus to revise the game by fans afterward beyond reasons of coverage.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation