This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

-  
As the title says, I have an opportunity to get the TNG Limited Collectors Tin (with silver borders) and I was wondering if that would be a good thing to purchase in order to learn how to play the game and build 2 decks with? I was also eyeing the printable 1e starter deck series. Is the TNG set any good, or is it too "basic" compared to the experience I would have with the 1e starter deck series?

I was also wondering if it makes sense to buy multiple collector's tins to get a several copies of each card?

Thanks everyone for your help :)

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
I guess you´ll be able to do it - but I also guess it wont be that much fun as you...
... are stuck with the "Play 1 card, draw 1 card" -style
... have no control over deckbuilding really. Maybe 1 much needed skill isnt available to you for 6/7 of the game
... have no errata on your cards. Some of these cards were seriously broken. Then again, if both decks consist of these cards, I can see it work

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I know that @SudenKapala said he was working on silver tin versus decks, but I don't recall if he announced they were complete.

here is his Traditional decks post

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Dreadreaper wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:04 am As the title says, I have an opportunity to get the TNG Limited Collectors Tin (with silver borders) and I was wondering if that would be a good thing to purchase in order to learn how to play the game and build 2 decks with? I was also eyeing the printable 1e starter deck series. Is the TNG set any good, or is it too "basic" compared to the experience I would have with the 1e starter deck series?

I was also wondering if it makes sense to buy multiple collector's tins to get a several copies of each card?

Thanks everyone for your help :)
I think you are honestly better off with printing a starter deck off the website. Those will incorporate and teach all the basics and at introduce you to some of the more “modern” draw and play mechanics.

The modern version of trek really doesn’t care about physical or virtual cards. It’s a little more work to print, cut, sleeve, but the game is so different now that if you limit yourself to the collectors tin, you’ll essentially be driving a yugo when everyone else is driving a Tesla.

If you have any questions or anything, hit me up, I’d be happy to help.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Personally, I'd still buy a tin. The cards in that tin pair very well with the TNG Starters. Also, owning the physical cards is a lot of fun!

The TNG Starters, and the TNG Block generally, were specifically designed to be highly compatible with the Premiere set of the game, because everyone has fond memories of that set. The gist of it is that the TNG Block added a handful of new cards that can slot directly into an old all-Premiere deck and give it a "powerup" so that the old deck can be competitive in the modern game.

(The key "powerup" cards are Continuing Mission -- a complicated card but a brilliant one once you "get" it--Attention All Hands, and the Warp Core cards.)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This. [Down] [Down]
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:14 pm Personally, I'd still buy a tin. The cards in that tin pair very well with the TNG Starters. Also, owning the physical cards is a lot of fun!
And this. [Down] [Down]
winterflames wrote:I know that @SudenKapala said he was working on silver tin versus decks, but I don't recall if he announced they were complete.

Those decks are finished. :thumbsup: 8)
I just got carried away writing a whole article about their inception and development, and sort of trailed off whem I had to start writing about strategy notes.
Dreadreaper wrote:I was wondering if that would be a good thing to purchase in order to learn how to play the game and build 2 decks with? I was also eyeing the printable 1e starter deck series. Is the TNG set any good, or is it too "basic" compared to the experience I would have with the 1e starter deck series?
I think I give my personal (partial) answer to those questions, if perhaps at a glance, in above-mentioned article.

If you want to read it -- and/or want the deck lists -- after the variois inpit you got here, let me know (here, or via PM). I'll send them to you! :)

(For other interested parties -- same. I'd love to go public with the whole shebang... eventually. But only as a neatly rounded-up -- albeit overly long -- thing, instead of dumping it here, now, only 85% finished. It's not a big deal, all thinga considered; but it IS a labour of love.)

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Agree with @BCSWowbagger and @SudenKapala posts above. I was a STCCG Ambassador in Texas back in the late 1990's and recall helping several players with Premire Tins build playable decks for all three main affiliations. We added cards from multiple packs of WB Premier, AU and QC (our local store had a lot of those expansions at the time). But also agree with the comments above about outmoded mechanics and adding cards from CC's TNG starters.

-  
Sorry to ressurrect this post, but I finally got the tin! Did you ever end up posting this article? I'd be very interested in the deck lists.

Also, can someone tell me which rule book I should use for just using the collectors tin?

SudenKapala wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:35 pm This. [Down] [Down]
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:14 pm Personally, I'd still buy a tin. The cards in that tin pair very well with the TNG Starters. Also, owning the physical cards is a lot of fun!
And this. [Down] [Down]
winterflames wrote:I know that @SudenKapala said he was working on silver tin versus decks, but I don't recall if he announced they were complete.

Those decks are finished. :thumbsup: 8)
I just got carried away writing a whole article about their inception and development, and sort of trailed off whem I had to start writing about strategy notes.
Dreadreaper wrote:I was wondering if that would be a good thing to purchase in order to learn how to play the game and build 2 decks with? I was also eyeing the printable 1e starter deck series. Is the TNG set any good, or is it too "basic" compared to the experience I would have with the 1e starter deck series?
I think I give my personal (partial) answer to those questions, if perhaps at a glance, in above-mentioned article.

If you want to read it -- and/or want the deck lists -- after the variois inpit you got here, let me know (here, or via PM). I'll send them to you! :)

(For other interested parties -- same. I'd love to go public with the whole shebang... eventually. But only as a neatly rounded-up -- albeit overly long -- thing, instead of dumping it here, now, only 85% finished. It's not a big deal, all thinga considered; but it IS a labour of love.)
 -  
Community Contributor
Dreadreaper wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:18 pm Also, can someone tell me which rule book I should use for just using the collectors tin?
I'm sorry to say that you have options!

Worst-option-to-best-option:

1. The current Complete Rulebook is fully compatible with Premiere cards, which are still legal and popular to this day. However, the Complete Rulebook has a lot of extraneous information, whether because it goes into More Detail Than Is Really Necessary For A Novice or just because the game added a lot more stuff after Premiere. https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/

2. The original Premiere Rulebook was written for the set you have in your hands, and it's a short, pleasant read that (obviously) doesn't get bogged down with stuff that didn't exist yet. It's a very good rulebook, especially for its time. However, the Premiere Rulebook has some rules in it that are no longer rules (often for very good reasons that became obvious soon after the game debuted), and many other rules that didn't really actually make sense and which later had to be changed or clarified in a series of increasingly complicated FAQs. If you jump in with the Premiere Rulebook, you'll have to re-learn the (modern) rules if/when you decide to leave the Premiere nest. https://starshipexcelsior.com/othersite ... erules.pdf

(Also, you can find the Premiere Rulebook FAQs here, except for FAQ v2, which has been Lost To History: https://starshipexcelsior.com/othersite ... pher/FAQS/ )

3. I think the best compromise is the current Basic Rulebook, which covers everything you need to know to play a normal game, then stops. It's roughly the same length as the Premiere Rulebook, but it's fully compatible with the modern game (because it's updated every month), and it has all the kinks from the Premiere Era worked out. It doesn't delve into a lot of extraneous detail. The Basic Rulebook isn't perfect. For example, the Basic Rulebook explains countdown icons (which you don't need for Premiere) but doesn't explain Artifacts (which are kind of a big deal in Premiere). However, unlike the Premiere Rulebook, the Basic Rulebook tells you what to do and where to go if you have more questions -- and we in the community can answer your questions about it much better as well! So my guess is that it will give you the best experience of the three options.

Web version: https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/i ... eamlined=y

PDF version: https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/1 ... lebook.pdf

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:50 pm (Also, you can find the Premiere Rulebook FAQs here, except for FAQ v2, which has been Lost To History:
Questions for BCSWowbagger ... I have several CD's I backed up of Decipher era files from back when I was an ambassador. Can you give me any details - like date, author, etc when FAC v2 was produced? I could review these old disks to see if it I backed it up.

And if there are any other files from that era you're looking for, LMK ...

* * * UPDATE * * *

Found it. From the text header ...

ST:CCG RULES FAQ v2

MORE OFFICIAL ANSWERS TO
FREQUENTLY ASKED RULE QUESTIONS
For the STAR TREK: TNG: Customizable Card Game
by DAnswerMan@aol.com Date: 12/11/94
 -  
Community Contributor
Klauser wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:25 pm Questions for BCSWowbagger ... I have several CD's I backed up of Decipher era files from back when I was an ambassador. Can you give me any details - like date, author, etc when FAC v2 was produced? I could review these old disks to see if it I backed it up.
I'mma be straight with you: if and when it would be convenient to you, I want those disks. (Well, I don't care about the physical disks -- but I would like to get a copy of all the data on them, please!) There's a good chance that I have most of the stuff on them, but there's no way to know unless I pick through it all. I know that I'm missing several CRDs, but there's very likely still some stuff out there that I don't even know I'm missing.

(There are also several CRDs that I only have in HTML format, some of them only partially, and I would love to get my mitts on the PDF versions of them.)

The CRD I'm particularly looking for is CRD 8 April 2002.

And, of course, I've been looking for FAQ v2 for ages.

This goes for everyone who has old Decipher files hanging around! Some of you collect cards; I collect digital copies of rules documents! (And then I post them on my website for all to enjoy; see my signature.) Seriously, old rules are incredibly useful for helping understand why and how the game took the shape it did -- and thus very useful to the present-day Rules Committee.
And if there are any other files from that era you're looking for, LMK ...

* * * UPDATE * * *

Found it. From the text header ...

ST:CCG RULES FAQ v2

MORE OFFICIAL ANSWERS TO
FREQUENTLY ASKED RULE QUESTIONS
For the STAR TREK: TNG: Customizable Card Game
by DAnswerMan@aol.com Date: 12/11/94
This is fantastic! Can you send it to me? I'll PM you my email address.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation