This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Today's errata to Obsession addresses not just the issue that obviously caught the everyone's attention - using the card to repeatedly Memory Wipe your opponent, but it looks like the Rules team took the opportunity (since the card was receiving errata anyway) to make the card available to players who might be splitting their missions across more than one spaceline.

Let me be the first to thank the Rules team for doing so. This is especially useful for folks like me who were trying to get a contender-related deck designed a few months ago and needed to be sure of having a way to complete Consolidate Power.

It's a minor issue, but I feel like with this errata, it only make sense to update Urgent Warning to work the same way as the new version of Obsession, where the player who plays the card chooses the spaceline, and the opponent chooses which end of the spaceline to play it on. After all, since this card is actually downloaded by a [1E-DQ] personnel, Qatai, it would be a terrible irony for one's opponent to put the downloaded ship on their own alpha quadrant spaceline to blow it up for points.
stressedoutatumc wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:48 am
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:48 am Obsession definitely just made the jump from casual tournament card to competitive tournament card.
Can I be curious as to why you think so? Genuine question. Is it because it makes the Contender cycle easier to complete?
Using it for two mission win decks just became plug and play. Before there was the strong possibility of it being a blank when the opp was in a different quadrant
Because Urgent Warning can be special downloaded by Qatai I was wondering if any errata could be done in a way where the downloaded dilemma must go to the spaceline that Qatai himself is on.

I am thinking this might work:

Play on a mission. Once per came per card title, download the Whale Probe OR a [Self] dilemma to spaceline end (opponent's choice). Discard event.[B/b]]

That would mean it would have to play on a mission he's at, and then the dilemma goes to the same spaceline.
Last edited by WeAreBack on Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
WeAreBack wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:23 am Because Urgent Warning can be special downloaded by Qatai I was wondering if any errata could be done in a way where the downloaded dilemma must go to the spaceline that Qatai himself is on.

I am thinking this might work:

Play on a mission. Once per came per card title, download the Whale Probe OR a [Self] dilemma to spaceline end (opponent's choice). Discard event.

That would mean it would have to play on a mission he's at, and then the dilemma goes to the same spaceline.
Doesn't the [DL] mean the card download has to enter play at the location of the card that downloads it? Since Urgent Warning itself doesn't play to a location, but it's effect does play to a location, shouldn't that effect thereby be forced to enter play at Qatai's location? @BCSWowbagger is there a precedence as to where a download from a card that was [DL] is to/has to enter play?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:53 amDoesn't the [DL] mean the card download has to enter play at the location of the card that downloads it? Since Urgent Warning itself doesn't play to a location, but it's effect does play to a location, shouldn't that effect thereby be forced to enter play at Qatai's location?
There is no transitive property for the [DL]-must-be-at-the-location rule. It applies to the [DL] target (and only the [DL] target) only if the [DL] target plays at a location. Urgent Warning doesn't (as you note), so you play out Urgent Warning's text as-written.

From a balance perspective, would we want Qatai's download to be limited to same-spaceline? It seems (to me) that giving it the updated Obsession-style text would leave some opportunity for interaction:
Once per game per card title, you may download The Whale Probe OR a [self] dilemma, choose a spaceline, then put it into play at either end (opponent's choice). Discard event.
The "then put it into play" text is important, because downloading a dilemma otherwise has no game meaning. By default, dilemmas cannot be played, they can only be seeded and encountered, and the encounter may put the dilemma into play. So the text has to spell out that you're putting the dilemma directly into play. Rules was somewhat emphatic about that back in 2018, which is why there's that awkward bit of text there.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:20 pm
From a balance perspective, would we want Qatai's download to be limited to same-spaceline?
From a balance perspective, no we wouldn't. From a Trek-sense perspective, Yes, absolutely! He is obsessed and it would make sense that he would want the object of his obsession as close as possible given the choice. Story-wise, it doesn't make any sense that he would be unleashing this [Self] as a weapon to inflict on some other spaceline.
I'll certainly bow to James' superior understanding of how cards must be worded to work properly. "Into play" does seem to be critical. My bad.

In term of balance, Qatai is a [NA] [Stf], which means he's a free play in every Equinox based deck using Home Away From Home. And he has medical, which means I'm a Doctor, not a Bartender can be used to download him out of your deck to replace any bartender, who I'm guessing would likely have been played for free at Quarks, either in the Alpha Quadrant or [MQ].

While I don't anticipate a lot of people using this strategy just to unleash a Planet Killer, or Dikironium Cloud Creature on their opponent's spaceline, we have to remember that the restriction of "once per game" on Urgent warning doesn't apply to the one you download using Obsession. Throw a couple of other copies under missions to be encountered normally, and someone in [1E-DQ] or [MQ] could really mess with an Alpha opponent by free playing some havoc onto their opponent's spaceline.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]