This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello!

If you didn't see the article on the front page, we're bringing back March Madness. The #1 piece of feedback from last year was that you wanted a say on what cards appeared in the bracket, and we made that happen. The poll that's up now gives you the opportunity to pick source episodes for each series, and those will be used to come up with the card ideas for the bracket.

It's been about 12 hours and we're already at 22 entries. Go have your opinions heard and let us know what stories you want to see in the bracket this year.

(The actual tournament will kick off on Wednesday, March 2nd.)

Here are some links to key posts or articles:

Announcement and Prelude Voting
How was the bracket seeded?
List of the card concepts
Round 1 (Starts 3/2)
Round 2 (Starts 3/9)
Round 3/Sweet 16 (Starts 3/16)
Round 4/Elite 8 (Starts 3/23)
Round 5/Final 4 (Starts 3/30)
Round 6/Championship (Starts 4/6)
Results (Posted 4/13)

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 -  
Prophet
Fun facts from the first day and a half:

37 people have responded.

91.9% wanted to weigh-in on the TOS episodes.
"Amok Time" is currently the most popular episode.

100% of people wanted to weigh-in on the TNG episodes.
"Second Chances" is currently the most popular episode.

100% of people also wanted to weigh-in on the DS9 episodes.
"Inquisition" is currently the most popular episode.

100% of people also wanted to weigh-in on the Voyager episodes.
"The Raven" is currently the most popular episode.

89.2% of people wanted to weigh in on the Enterprise episodes.
"Carbon Creek" is the most popular episode at this time.

As of right now, we would have about 75-80% nouns and 20-25% verbs.

Fun fact: Both "Inquisition" and "Carbon Creek" featured heavily in last year's bracket.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Things have slowed down, with only 8 more people voting since my last update. I suspect a lot of people just want to vote in the actual bracket, so I'm not too worried about turnout though. Still, feel free to spread the word to anyone in your local groups or any of your online friends.

If we were to stop the poll today (which we aren't, it's running another week), here are the episodes from each series that would be in:

TOS
"Amok Time"
"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"
"The Enemy Within"

TNG
"Second Chances"
"The Outrageous Okona"
"Thine Own Self"

DS9
"Inquisition"
"Far Beyond the Stars"
"Soldiers of the Empire"

Voyager
"The Raven"
"In the Flesh"
"The 37's"

Enterprise
"Carbon Creek"
"Terra Prime"
"North Star"

That gives us 15 episodes across all 5 series, for a total of 60 cards. Then, the next episode with the highest number of votes gets the last slot. Right now, that's a tie between Voyager's "Barge of the Dead" and "Distant Origin."

Don't like these choices? Go vote!

If you're happy with these choices, go get your friends to vote for your picks!

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Fixed a mistake.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:24 pm

DS9
"Inquisition"
"Far Beyond the Stars"
"Inquisition"

:shifty:

I know Inquisition is popular and all, but is it really two spots in the bracket popular? :P

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Inquiry...is there a prize for the winner/winners? Maybe a special promo card or deck box or something? Might spice it up a little. Just :twocents: . I'm happily participating regardless.
 -  
Prophet
Armus wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:32 pm
MidnightLich wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:24 pm

DS9
"Inquisition"
"Far Beyond the Stars"
"Inquisition"

:shifty:

I know Inquisition is popular and all, but is it really two spots in the bracket popular? :P
Oops. I have fixed it. The 3rd entry was "Soldiers of the Empire."
stressedoutatumc wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:36 pm Inquiry...is there a prize for the winner/winners? Maybe a special promo card or deck box or something? Might spice it up a little. Just :twocents: . I'm happily participating regardless.
There will be prizes for the actual bracket itself. This is just giving you the chance to pick what cards appear in the bracket. Last year we gave out 4-5 borderless promos, and I expect similar this year.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Hello everyone!

We ended up with 74 unique voters in the Prelude to March Madness, which is pretty great. I'm very happy with that turnout. Right now, we have forms being made for the people that wanted to help seed the cards and they are being proofread. If you indicated you were willing to help rate/seed the cards, you can expect an email tomorrow.

But, for now, I thought I would share the final results with you.

The Original Series
A total of 65 out of 74 participants wanted to vote on the OS episodes (87.8%). The top 3 episodes were:

"Amok Time" (33/65 votes, 50.8%)
"Let That Bet Your Last Battlefield" (30/65 votes, 46.2%)
"Catspaw" (20/65 votes, 30.8%)

All 12 episodes received at least some votes. The median number of votes was 14.5. "Turnabout Intruder" was the lowest ranked episode with only 9/65 votes (13.8%).

The 2021 bracket didn't include any TOS options, so 100% of these episodes are appearing in this year's bracket for the 1st time.

The Next Generation
A total of 70 out of 74 participants wanted to vote on the TNG episodes (94.6%). The top 3 episodes were:

"Second Chances" (36/70 votes, 51.4%)
"Thine Own Self" (25/70 votes, 35.7%)
"Genesis" (24/70 votes, 34.3%)

All 12 episodes received at least some votes. The median number of votes was 19.5. The runner-up episode was "The Outrageous Okona", just 1 vote shy of 3rd place. "Legacy" was the lowest ranked episode with only 12/70 votes (17.1%).

Several suggestions for cards from the 3 selected episodes were proposed and subsequently used for the card ideas in the bracket. Okona himself was the most requested card across the entire set of episodes. However, several suggestions for the selected episodes were made and have been included in the final bracket.

While TNG did appear in last year's bracket, there was no overlap between that contest and the choices in this year's bracket. Thus, for 2022, all of the TNG episodes will be appearing for the first time.

Deep Space Nine
A total of 73 out of 74 participants wanted to vote on the DS9 episodes (98.6%). The top 3 episodes were:

"Inquisition" (46/73 votes, 63%)
"Far Beyond the Stars" (37/73 votes, 50.7%)
"Soldiers of the Empire" (26/73, 35.6%)

All 12 episodes received at least some votes. The median number of votes was 18.5. The runner-up episode was "Waltz" with 22/73 votes. "Chimera" was the lowest ranked episode with only 6/73 votes (8.2%).

Out of all the series, the fewest applicable suggestions were from DS9. However, at least a few applicable suggestions were made and have been included in the bracket. One thing is clear from your suggestions: you want more Section 31 stuff and more Trill stuff!
(This author's personal favorite suggestion was simply a title: "Dukat Has Some Issues.")

2 of the 3 DS9 episodes in this year's bracket appeared in the 2021 contest, though "Far Beyond the Stars" only appeared a single time vs. "Inquisition's" 4 cards. One episode from last year, "Waltz," did not make the cut this year.

Voyager
A total of 71 out of 74 participants wanted to vote on the VOY episodes (95.9%). The top 3 episodes were:

"The Raven" (33/71 votes, 46.5%)
"Distant Origin" (29/71 votes, 40.8%)
"In the Flesh" (29/71 votes, 40.8%)

All 12 episodes received at least some votes. The median number of votes was 19.5. There was a tie between "Barge of the Dead" and "The 37's" for the runner-up episode with each getting 23/71 votes. Similarly, there was a 3-way tie for lowest ranked between "Day of Honor," "Ex Post Facto," and "One Small Step;" each received 11/73 (15.5%) votes.

There were a lot of good suggestions for card ideas based on the winning episodes. I think a lot of you mistook "The Raven" for "Dark Frontier," as the Hansens and the Raven itself were the most common suggestions. However, I used as many of the suggestions as I could.

"Distant Origin" is the only episode from 2021's bracket that is returning for 2022. "Heroes and Demons" appeared in last year's contest but did not make the cut for this year. The other episodes from Voyager are appearing for the 1st time.

Enterprise
A total of 61 out of 74 participants wanted to vote on the ENT episodes (82.4%). The top 3 episodes were:

"Terra Prime" (39/61 votes, 63.9%)
"Carbon Creek" (38/61 votes, 62.3%)
"North Star" (19/61 votes, 31.1%)

All 12 episodes received at least some votes. The median number of votes was 14. As with Voyager, was a tie between "E-Squared" and "Rajiin" for the runner-up episode with each getting 17/61 votes. For the lowest ranked episode, "Chosen Realm" and "Cogenitor" tied with 8/61 votes each.

In terms of suggestions, they were made for several cool episodes, but only for "Terra Prime" and "North Star" from the winning 3. I used all of the suggestions that applied in the final bracket.

"Carbon Creek" is returning from 2021 to fight again in this year's contest. "Rajiin" appeared last year, but didn't make the cut for 2022. "Terra Prime" and "North Star" are newcomers to this year's fight.

Other
Aside from the Top 3 episodes of each series, I also included the episode overall that had the most votes (and wasn't already included). It ended up in a 3-way tie between:

TNG's "The Outrageous Okona,"
Voy's "Barge of the Dead,"
and Voy's "The 37's."

I polled a small group of Trek volunteers to break the tie, and the 16th and final episode is "Barge of the Dead" from Voyager. This added several more suggestions from voters to the bracket, which is great to see.

You were also all asked about how many nouns and verbs you wanted to see in the final bracket. For those that might not know, a "noun" is an equipment, facility, personnel, ship, or mission. As you might expect, a "verb" is everything else, including dilemmas, events, interrupts, incidents, and objectives. One end of the scale was all nouns, while the opposite end of the scale was all verbs.

Unsurprisingly, the most popular option was #3, which would be a 50/50 split between the two. 16.2% of you (12/74) votes for all nouns, while only 5/74 (6.8%) voted for all verbs. I decided to do a weighted calculation to determine the final split to determine the final breakdown of the bracket. This ended up giving more weight to the options with more votes, without ignoring the other votes. That means the final split is going to be 37 nouns and 27 verbs, give or take 1 on each side.

I'm curious to hear your takes on what card ideas you're expecting and how you think things will shake out. Our panel will be seeding the cards over the next week ahead of the bracket officially kicking off on Wednesday, March 2nd. I hope you'll join us for this adventure!

-crp

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for running this activity.

I think like most I’m looking forward to some Section 31 shenanigans. I hope some of the cards will be useful for any Intelligence. Not just 31. So my Tal Shiar can get out there and corrupt Bashir too.
 -  
Prophet
If you indicated you'd be willing to seed any of the 5 sets of card ideas, then you should have an email. If you volunteered for more than 1, you'll have more than 1 email.

If you think you should, and you don't, check your spam filter first. The email would be from me, cplaine AT gmail DOT com. If you still don't have it, feel free to email or PM me.

-crp
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:20 pm If you indicated you'd be willing to seed any of the 5 sets of card ideas, then you should have an email. If you volunteered for more than 1, you'll have more than 1 email.

If you think you should, and you don't, check your spam filter first. The email would be from me, cplaine AT gmail DOT com. If you still don't have it, feel free to email or PM me.

-crp
Ooooo, oooo, oooo! An excuse to procrastinate!
 -  
Prophet
I am assuming that nobody likes data as much as I do, but some of you like it enough to want to read my musings. Yesterday, I sent out emails to everyone who indicated they would be willing to rank, or seed, the cards. I'm pretty happy with the response in the first 24 hours:

TOS: 15/37 responses so far (40.5%)
TNG: 14/41 responses so far (34.1%)
DS9: 23/39 responses (60.0%)
VOY: 22/31 responses (70.9%)
ENT: 16/31 responses (51.6%)

The average response rates for email surveys is about 30%, so we're beating that on every series so far. I'm really happy to see that, and we still have the rest of this week and the weekend for people to respond.

Finally, a total of 27 people of of the 74 that filled out the Prelude survey were willing to seed all 5 series. That's 32.4% which is just great to see.

Question for all of you: would you like to know the card ideas/concepts ahead of the start of the bracket? The seeding won't be done until Monday, but I can preview some of the choices you'll be seeing.

-crp

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
MidnightLich wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:06 pm Question for all of you: would you like to know the card ideas/concepts ahead of the start of the bracket? The seeding won't be done until Monday, but I can preview some of the choices you'll be seeing.

-crp
No I would not! That's the reason I only signed up for one show instead of all of them.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I like seeing concepts.
1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]

Thermokinetic explosion

Then why do we specify unused on outclassed? […]

Klingon Neelix ponderings

I am collecting data at this point. Someone aske[…]