This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Armus wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:56 pm
MidnightLich wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:53 pm
Armus wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:40 pm Didn't you snake seed? Sounds like not.
No, I didn't. That would have been a good idea. I'll keep it in mind for next year!

-crp
This thing is still in draft, right? Why not fix it now and get the better result?
Because all the work is done, the polls set up, etc. I simply have no energy to go back and redo it all.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hey man, this is your show, I'm just trying to help.
 -  
Prophet
Here are the 64 card concepts that will appear in March Madness 2022.

Note: If you don't care or don't want to know what these are before Wednesday, please stop reading now!

Please note that while a list of potential/likely card types is provided, nothing is absolute and there are many options for how these cards might take final form.

The Original Series
"Amok Time"
Lirpa
A Vulcan blade weapon, carried by soldiers in the 22nd century and used in rituals in the 23rd.
Likely card types: [Equ]

T'Pau
Elder matriarch on Vulcan. Only person to ever turn down a seat on the Federation council. Currently has a Vulcan-affiliation version of her persona.
Likely card types: [Fed] Personnel

T'Pring
The betrothed of Spock in a pairing arranged at a young age. Refused to marry Spock, forcing him to fight Captain Kirk for her hand.

Ancestral Arena
Ancestral lands of Spock’s family on Vulcan. Site of many rituals throughout the 23rd century.
Likely card types: [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR [Obj] OR Time Location

"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"
Bele
Constable and native of Charon; white on his left and black on his right. Pursued Lokai for centuries before encountering Starship Enterprise.
Likely card types: [NA] [OS] Personnel

Lokai
Political dissident from Charon; black on his left and white on his right. Hunted by Bele for centuries. Stole a shuttlecraft and ran afoul of Kirk and company.
Likely card types: [NA] [OS] Personnel

Self-Destruct Sequence
Starships come equipped with self-destruct systems to prevent capture by a hostile force. In the 23rd century, this required 3 command officers to activate.
Likely card types: [Dual] OR [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR [1E-Int] OR [Obj]

Obvious Differences
Natives of Charon looked very similar to most, but stratified themselves based on which side of their bodies were black versus white.

"Catspaw"
Sympathetic Magic
With the ability to transmute matter on a massive scale, Sylvia caused the ship in orbit to heat to dangerous levels by holding a pendant of the Starship Enterprise to a candle.
Likely card types: [Dual] OR [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR [1E-Int]

Three Witch's Warning
An illusion conjured by Sylvia and Korob to keep the Enterprise’s boarding party away from their citadel.

Korob
An alien creature entirely foreign to our galaxy. Carried a “wand” and wore the trappings of a “wizard” during his encounter with Kirk and company.
Likely card types: [Dual] OR [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR [1E-Int] OR [NA] [OS] Personnel

Sylvia
As alien and as powerful as Korob, Sylvia wore the trappings of an enchantress or witch. Had a much more malicious streak in her than Korob.
Likely card types: [Dual] OR [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR [1E-Int] OR [NA] [OS] Personnel

The Next Generation
"Second Chances"
Nervala IV
Plagued by a disruption field, the station on the surface could only be accessed every eight years.
Likely card types: [P] Mission

Transporter Duplication
While evacuating Nervala IV, Riker was duplicated by the transporter. One returned to the ship, the other was stranded on the surface.
Likely card types: [Dual] OR [1E-Evt] OR [Inc]

Riker's Trombone
A brass instrument from Earth. Though Will used it often, he gifted the instrument to Thomas.
Likely card types: [Equ] OR [1E-Evt]

Old Feelings
The man who became Thomas Riker still held deep feelings for Deanna Troi. Upon seeing her again, he had trouble containing those feelings.

"Thine Own Self"
Jayden
Data, having lost his memory during a mission, wandered into a native village. Believing him to be an “ice man,” he was given the name Jayden.
Likely card types: [NA] Personnel

Bridge Officer's Test
Deanna Troi sought to do more while aboard the Enterprise-D. She took - and failed - this test several times before learning to make a difficult choice - and passing.

Talur
A Barkonian native. Teacher and scientist in the village encountered by Data. Held primitive, but intelligent, views about her world.
Likely card types: [NA] Personnel

Recover Radioactive Material
Data’s original mission involved retrieving data and dangerous material from a crashed probe. He kept radioactive metal in a secure container… until it was removed.
Likely card types: [P] Mission OR [Obj]

"Genesis"
Recover Torpedo
After a failure of Worf’s new weapon guidance system, Data and Picard needed to retrieve a wayward and undetonated photon torpedo.
Likely card types: [1E-S] Mission OR [Obj]

Venom Attack
After beginning to devolve, Worf grew venom sacks on his cheeks. Doctor Crusher painfully experienced the effectiveness of the venom.

Primordial Worf
Devolved, prehistoric version of a Klingon. Apex predator aboard the ship affected by Barclay’s Protomorphosis Syndrome. Very possessive of Deanna Troi.
Likely card types: [Dual] OR [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR [1E-Int] OR Personnel

Caveman Riker
Australopithecine “caveman” version of Will Riker. Desperately wanted to eat the jellyfish in the ready room (who used to be Livingston.)

Deep Space 9
"Inquisition"
Deputy Director Sloan
Section 31 operative posing as a Starfleet Security bigwig. Put Dr. Bashir through an arduous loyalty test in an attempt to recruit him to his cause.
Likely card types: [Fed] [1E-DS9] Personnel

Section 31 Recruitment
Operating in the shadows since at least the 22nd century, Section 31 went to elaborate lengths to recruit new agents and assets.
Likely card types: [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR [1E-Int] OR [Obj]

Holoprogram: Loyalty Test
A sophisticated holodeck program designed to convince Julian Bashir he was a Dominion spy. Were it not for an unknown injury to O’Brien, very likely would not have been detected.
Likely card types: [Inc] OR [Obj]

Hologram Weyoun
Part of Section 31’s loyalty test program. Convincingly attempted to gaslight Dr. Bashir into believing he was a mole.
Likely card types: [Fed] [Holo] Personnel

"Far Beyond the Stars"
The Dreamer and the Dream
Benjamin Sisko, suffering from a crisis of faith during the Dominion war, was given a vision by the Prophets. In it, he was both the subject and the source the dream.
Likely card types: [Dual] OR [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR [Obj]

Benny Russel
Veteran and science fiction writer in Sisko’s vision. Wrote many adventures of Captain Benjamin Sisko and Deep Space 9. Suffered greatly because of the color of his skin.
Likely card types: [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR Personnel

Kay Eaton
Science fiction writer with a similar appearance to Kira Nerys. Believed by her readers to be male. Didn’t get to be in the staff photo.

Darlene Kursky
The editor’s secretary with a similar appearance to Jadzia Dax. Loved Benny’s stories of Deep Space Nine, finding them interesting and, in part, disgusting.

"Soldiers of the Empire"
The Warrior's Anthem
A song to sing in anticipation for, or celebration of, a battle. The crew of the Rotarran sang reluctantly, then passionately.

Leskit
Helm officer aboard the Rotarran. Kept a necklace of Cardassian neckbones, as he respected them. Cynical about a string of defeats at the hands of the Jem’Hadar.
Likely card types: [Kli] Personnel

Ortikan
Officer aboard the Rotarran. Thrown from Dax’s seat in the mess hall, impressing the crew. Injured in a brawl caused by low morale and too much bloodwine.

Tavana
Engineer serving aboard the Rotarran. par’Mach’kai of Ortikan. Friend of Jadzia Dax.

Voyager
"The Raven"
Raven Omen
Once Seven of Nine was in range of the wreckage of the USS Raven, she became haunted by visions of the ship’s namesake.

Explosive Shuttle Exit
Reverting to Borg behavior, Seven of Nine stole a shuttle and explosively exited Voyager.
Likely card types: [Dual] OR [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR [1E-Int] OR [Tac]

Assimilate Youth
After assimilating her parents, the collective set their sights on 7 year old Annika. An atypical, if not unprecedented, action.
Likely card types: [BO] [Obj]

Young Annika Hansen
Hiding from the “bad men,” young Annika could do nothing to avoid joining the Borg.

"In the Flesh"
Terrasphere 8
Home to an advanced reconnaissance team of Species 8472. Hosted a simulation of Earth to train for infiltration.
Likely card types: Facility

Boothby Replicant
One of the leaders of the Species 8472 recon team encountered by Voyager. Though skeptical, he believed peace with humans to be possible.

Valerie Archer Replicant
A member of the Species 8472 recon team encountered by Voyager. Connected with Chakotay and believed humans weren’t the threat S8472 feared.

Holoprogram: Starfleet Headquarters
An exact replica of Starfleet Command used for training Species 8472 infiltrators.
Likely card types: [Inc] OR [Obj]

"Barge of the Dead"
Miral, Mother of B'Elanna
Mother of B’Elanna Torres. May have encountered her daughter aboard the Barge of the Dead.

Kortar
Slayer of Gods and ferryman of the dead. Mythical figure encountered by - or hallucinated by - B’Elanna.

The Barge of the Dead
Klingon sailing vessel that carries dishonored souls to Gre’thor. Piloted by Kortar.
Likely card types: [Dual] OR [1E-Evt] OR [Inc] OR [1E-Int] OR [Obj] OR Time Location

Bleeding Artifact
A piece of metal inscribed with the Klingon symbol. Bled red blood in a vision by B’Elanna.
Likely card types: [Art] OR [Dual] OR [1E-Evt] OR [Inc]

"Distant Origin"
Forra Gegen
Voth paleontologist. Hypothesized - and subsequently proved - his species originated on Earth. Recanted to save Voyager.
Likely card types: Personnel

Voth City Ship
One of the massive ships used by the spacefaring Voth. Easily captured an Intrepid-class starship within.
Likely card types: [1E-S] Mission OR Ship

Challenge Doctrine
Voth doctrine was incompatible with the distant origin theory, which was heretical. Challenging it often exacted a heavy cost.
Likely card types: Mission OR [Obj]

Knock-out Dart
Drug-laced projectile used by the Voth to kidnap Chakotay, after being discovered aboard Voyager.

Enterprise
"Carbon Creek"
Carbon Creek, PA
A small mining town visited by Vulcans in the 1950s. Less than a thousand people lived here, ignorant of the fact that 3 aliens were among them.
Likely card types: [1E-P] Time Location

T'Mir
Ancestor of T’Pol that crashed on Earth in the 20th century. Spent time in Carbon Creek and grew to know many of the residents. Introduced velcro to humanity.
Likely card types: [Vul] Personnel

T'Mir's Purse
Obtained by T’Mir on Earth in the 1950s, this accessory was passed down her family line before ending up in the hands of T’Pol in the 22nd century.
Likely card types: [Art] OR [1E-Evt]

Mestral
Member of a stranded Vulcan crew on Earth in the 1950s. Became fascinated by humans, so much so he remained behind after another ship arrived to rescue them.
Likely card types: [Vul] Personnel

"Terra Prime"
Baby Elizabeth
Binary clone of T’Pol and Tucker. Created as a pawn by Terra Prime. Due to a flawed cloning process, she did not survive long.

Orpheus Mining Facility
Mining station originally built on Luna. Hotbed of Terra Prime activity in the 22nd century. Last commanded by John Frederick Paxton. Capable of limited warp travel.
Likely card types: Facility OR Ship

Veteron Array
A powerful energy cannon designed to redirect comets in the Sol system. Hijacked by Terra Prime and used as a weapon.

Masaro
Member of Terra Prime serving aboard Enterprise. Stole DNA from T’Pol and Charles Tucker. Sabotaged a shuttlepod that was to be used to attack Terra Prime. Killed himself to avoid capture.
Likely card types: [SF] Personnel

"North Star"
Humans? Here?
To their shock, the crew of Enterprise discovered a 19th century human settlement deep in the Delphic Expanse.
Likely card types: [Dual]

Cowboy Archer
In order to gather information on the human settlement in the Delphic Expanse, Jonathan Archer wore period specific clothing. Later officially introduced himself.

Cowboy Tucker
Wearing period appropriate clothing, Charles Tucker III joined his captain and T’Pol exploring the human settlement in the Delphic Expanse. Learned everything he knew about horses from movies.

North Star Planet
Class M planet in the Delphic Expanse. Home to a small number of humans brought here by the Skaagarans.
Likely card types: [1E-P] Mission
 -  
Prophet
All of the card concepts are now posted (above).

What do you think? Which cards do you think are the #1 seeds for each series?

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Gotta be T'mir as the ENT #1 and the purse as the ENT #12, right?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
If you see any posts from me in the next few weeks that are just KAY EATON KAY EATON KAY EATON KAY EATON KAY EATON pasted 50 or 60 times, it's because my wife seized my computer and is using it to advance her pro-Kay Eaton propaganda machine.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:15 am Sylvia
As alien and as powerful as Korob, Sylvia wore the trappings of an enchantress or witch. Had a much more malicious streak in her than Korob.
I will be campaigning for a [NA] [Neu] personnel who is CIVILIAN as [NA] and ANIMAL as [Neu] .

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:36 pm If you see any posts from me in the next few weeks that are just KAY EATON KAY EATON KAY EATON KAY EATON KAY EATON pasted 50 or 60 times, it's because my wife seized my computer and is using it to advance her pro-Kay Eaton propaganda machine.
So the ones that say K.C. Hunter pasted 50 to 60 times are from you?
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:04 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:36 pm If you see any posts from me in the next few weeks that are just KAY EATON KAY EATON KAY EATON KAY EATON KAY EATON pasted 50 or 60 times, it's because my wife seized my computer and is using it to advance her pro-Kay Eaton propaganda machine.
So the ones that say K.C. Hunter pasted 50 to 60 times are from you?
Also her!

Also the ones that say C.L. Moore pasted 50 to 60 times.

And the ones that say Henry Kuttner.

For reasons that are obscure to me, my wife is a C.L. Moore/Henry Kuttner shipper, and this transferred onto these two characters seen only briefly in "Far Beyond the Stars."
 -  
Prophet
Hello!

We're not even 24 hours into the Round of 64 and we've had an average response rate of 46 votes across the 4 polls. That's awesome! I'm so glad that so many of you are participating and having fun. Please feel free to spread the word to your local players and friendly online players. I'd love to see engagement on this annual game keep increasing.

In fact, I'll sweeten the deal. Right now, we're guaranteeing at least 3 of you will win a borderless promo. If we can meet or exceed last year's numbers - 116 votes for this round - I will make a donation to the CC to double the number of borderless promos. That will take us from 3 winners to 6 winners.

I look forward to seeing your votes, and posting the results next week!

-crp
 -  
Prophet
The first round polls end tomorrow at NOON Pacific. And right now, there are some very close contests - less than 3 votes between options - and at least one tie. Every vote counts!

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Here is some data on the results of Round 1:

The average number of votes across the 4 polls was 92.5. While not as many as last year, it's still an incredibly strong turnout. I'm really happy with it.

Here is how the series did overall:

TOS went 7-5.
TNG went 4-8.
DS9 went 9-3.
VOY went 8-8.
ENT went 4-8.

There were 7 upsets out of 32 games, meaning 78.1% of the cards that were expected to win, did win.

2 episodes had an undefeated 4-0 performance. Conversely, 2 episodes went 0-4 and have been entirely eliminated.

During the course of voting, a total of 21 matches changed winners. That's 65.6% of the cards that needed the full duration of voting to win their matchups.

Thanks for participating! The full results and the next round of polls will be up tonight at the tick.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Everything is ready for the next round, and let me tell you: this is going to be a really tough one. Lots of crazy matchups await you!

-crp
 -  
Community Contributor
Fantastic. My voting finger's been getting twitchy ever since real-life Selection Sunday.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
No Advanced CharlieMetrics for Round 2, @MidnightLich ?

That's my favorite part of this nonsense! :wink:
Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]

Klingon Neelix ponderings

I am collecting data at this point. Someone aske[…]

Keep in mind that it doesn't stop anyone itself, m[…]