This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
"Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, & hide yo husband, cuz they assimilatin' e'rybody out here!" :shifty:

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Armus wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:28 am Da Fuq with Lirpa... I mean, seriously?!
yeah, but look at the cards it defeated so far:

Holoprogram: Starfleet Command, which needs other Species 8472 concepts to make sense of in any way.

Jayden, aka a non-aligned Data.

And Primordial Worf.

Lirpa isn't terribly exciting to me, but all that it defeated so far are cards that need others to make the story complete, or are cards that I can see easily being made in other sets.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:28 am Da Fuq with Lirpa... I mean, seriously?!
I think it's because (1) it's a broken link, and (2) it's easy to vote for a card concept when you're not responsible for coming up with the gametext. :)

And YES, as a designer on The Cage who worked on Lirpa and ultimately supported cutting it from The Cage for being a boring card, you can consider this comment an open invitation to start posting your ideas for Lirpa. We cut it because (A) nobody wanted another boring Bat'leth/Kar'takin clone, (B) making Vulcans more violent in personnel battles fits neither the flavor of the affiliation nor the story of the card, since the Lirpa is really strictly a ceremonial weapon, and (C) we didn't have any other ideas that fit on three lines and functioned like an equipment. I've often wondered how we could have made that card work.
KazonPADD wrote:I’m liking Transporter Duplicate. Especially after years of Clone Machine being banned.
Me too. It's a nice open-ended story that has a lot of flexibility to be made into a lot of different possible cards. It doesn't make it more difficult to make other cards from the same story. And the other cards that were like this have mostly been wiped out at this point. (Warrior's Anthem could still do some fun stuff.)

Transporter Duplication and T'Pau are probably my faves at this point.

I'd also love Lirpa if anyone could just convince me there's a decent gameplay concept to go with the story.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Less than 24 hours in and we've had 70 votes. That's awesome! Think we can break 100 this round?

In no particular order, here are the current results:

40-30
44-26
34-36
37-33

As you can see, 2 of the matches are very close! But nothing is so far ahead a big push can't save it! Which match do you think is each score? And please spread the word about this!

-crp
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:00 pm...you can consider this comment an open invitation to start posting your ideas for Lirpa.
It's a ceremonial weapon, they use it for solving problems. Like.... dilemmas?
Vulcan use only. Vulcans are strength +2 while facing a dilemma (+4 if dilemma is gender-related).
Doesn't promote Vulcan combat, but still acts as a hand-weapon equipment, with a little extra flavor.

I want to go back and change my vote. I've been solidly on TEAM VERBS ONLY, but now I'm feeling the lirp'.

a

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I like it. The little bonus plays into Koon-ut-kal-if-fee which is cool. It wouldn't help Kirk with the Severing of Nuptual Agreements, however...

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:00 pm
KazonPADD wrote:I’m liking Transporter Duplicate. Especially after years of Clone Machine being banned.
Me too. It's a nice open-ended story that has a lot of flexibility to be made into a lot of different possible cards. It doesn't make it more difficult to make other cards from the same story. And the other cards that were like this have mostly been wiped out at this point. (Warrior's Anthem could still do some fun stuff.)

Transporter Duplication and T'Pau are probably my faves at this point.
This is why Ill never understand this community and its voting habits. If you think duplication could replace clone machine, then whatever text could be on duplication should just be the errata to clone machine. Assimilate Youth has the potential to be a lot of different things.

Vote Assimilate Youth for a more collective future!

Paid for by the Queen commands you and resistance is futile committee

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Hoss-Drone wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:50 pm This is why Ill never understand this community and its voting habits. If you think duplication could replace clone machine, then whatever text could be on duplication should just be the errata to clone machine. Assimilate Youth has the potential to be a lot of different things.

Assimilate Youth and T'Pau are probably my favorites right now, but I think a key difference between transporter duplication and Clone Machine is that:

- Transporter Duplication was a one time, freak accident. To me it could be a seeded thing that once per game downloads a second copy of one personnel.

_ Clone machine by definition has to be an ongoing, repeatable thing with more potential for danger.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
boromirofborg wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:14 pm
Hoss-Drone wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:50 pm This is why Ill never understand this community and its voting habits. If you think duplication could replace clone machine, then whatever text could be on duplication should just be the errata to clone machine. Assimilate Youth has the potential to be a lot of different things.

Assimilate Youth and T'Pau are probably my favorites right now, but I think a key difference between transporter duplication and Clone Machine is that:

- Transporter Duplication was a one time, freak accident. To me it could be a seeded thing that once per game downloads a second copy of one personnel.

_ Clone machine by definition has to be an ongoing, repeatable thing with more potential for danger.
Which doesn't necessarily have to translate to the card. That's lore, and lore takes a backseat to the gameplay - especially in 1e when it's a card type with literally no lore box. A one time use sure sounds like an errata clone machine....
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Hoss-Drone wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:50 pm Paid for by the Queen commands you and resistance is futile committee
Wrong Queen dude! Rule Britannia!
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
My expectation remains that Clone Machine will eventually come off the ban list (as will its cousin DQSS, I'm confident, eventually), so I am not really interested in a replacement or consolation prize for it.

I just think something nifty (and off-the-wall different from Clone Machine) is possible here.
 -  
Prophet
The polls are now closed. We had 100 unique people vote, which is awesome - a nice uptick in participation from the previous rounds.

I just took a quick look at the results, and I can tell you that at least 1 card has been upset, i.e. the lower rated seed took out the higher rated seed.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Tonight, the poll for the Final 4 will go live. I hope you have fun deciding which card concepts will face off in the finale! I have also included an extra section to collect your feedback on the cards and the process overall. It's entirely optional, but I'd love to see your thoughts if you have the time.

If we can get about 60% of those of you voting to also take the bonus survey, I'll throw in some extra prizes.

-crp

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:47 pm If we can get about 60% of those of you voting to also take the bonus survey, I'll throw in some extra prizes.

-crp
Attachments:
Sweeten.jpg
Sweeten.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
 -  
Prophet
Mid-round update for you:
  • So far, 73 of you lovely people have voted in the Final 4.
  • One of the matches has flip-flopped at least 3 times so far.
  • One of the matches has been within 2 votes the entire time.
  • About 80% of you have agreed to answer the bonus questions.
  • So far, the top vote for a boutique is "Far Beyond the Stars" from DS9.
These are 2 very close races! A handful of votes can tip one card over the top. Polls are open until Monday morning, so if you haven't voted - get to the polls!

-crp
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation