This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:40 am
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:53 am I'd like to see a deckbuilder wizard. You start by choosing an affiliation and an era/property, and then you get a choice of play engines. Once you've chosen your play engines, you can click on them to bring up a list of the personnel who play with that engine, which you can filter. Perhaps you can also bring up a list of frequently used cards according to Affiliation HQ, and maybe you can even define a set of your own personal frequently used cards.

Also nice either as part of the wizard or just as part of an upgrade to the deckbuilder would be search suggestions as you type and real-time stats as you add/remove cards.
sounds like a bunch of work, I would have started with filter for formats.
Hey, Charlie said to dream big. I'd be happy with format filters, though.

Another thing that would be nice is if the Lackey plugin used the Set field in the way Lackey intended so that decks don't break every time a card in it gets reprinted. The contents of the Release field should be put into the Set field. The Block Reprint Lists can be their own set(s). An OTF_Banned set can be made for banned cards, and that's actually fine if a ban causes a card to disappear from a saved deck.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Rules for the Borg need to be simplified. There is no reason they can't work just like everyone else.

First, it just adds unnecessary complexity to have a different rules-set for the Borg. The whole idea of having unique rules for playing Borg was obviously a work-around for the fact that PAQ did not include any missions for Borg players to attempt, so we got borg objectives. Decipher itself then had to compromise on the new rules for the Borg by allowing multiple Borg for a scouting attempt just a few years after coming up with the unique rules for them in the first place.

Second, the existence of Borg players who benefit from unique rules -- mostly (1) that they do not attempt missions and are unaffected by cards related to attempting missions and (2) they are unaffected by bonus points unless specifically stated -- prevents players from playing decks just because, if they run into a Borg player, their strategy is useless.

For example, I was thinking of building a whole deck around Issue Secret Orders and Samaritan Snare (there is a new way to ensure Samaritan Snare catches players who have no [Fed] cards in their deck, PM me if you have figured it out!). But it I can't do it because if I run into a Borg player, the whole strategy is useless.

Likewise, I would be reluctant to build a deck around depriving my opponent of points with White Rabbit, Biosphere Toxin,Edo Probe, The Sheliak, Mandarin Bailiff and 62nd Rule because it would be a pushover against a Borg player.

It's time that we consider the idea of making Borg objectives no different than Subjugate Planet and Establish Trade Route. Perhaps Borg objectives like Establish Gateway could simply have a limitation like "while in play, your Borg may not attempt other missions." (Whether to allow the objective to play on the mission itself as opposed to "on Table" would be an important issue, as Taking Charge would then apply.) Borg objectives that target non-missions, like the 30 points available when using Contingency Plan and Assimilate Starship would just be bonus points subject to Intermix ratio and the equivalent OTF rule.

New missions for Borg players to attempt could form part of a new set. alternatively, a fairly large number of old missions could simply receive errata that add a [Bor] Icon. The Borg DO seek to expand their understanding of the universe, so any kind of space missions about mapping space, studying various phenomenon are legitimate to add a [Bor] Icon. They just don't care about curing deadly disease, rendering aid, diplomacy or other similarly themed missions.
Last edited by WeAreBack on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
WeAreBack wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:14 am Rules for the Borg need to be simplified. There is no reason they can't work just like everyone else.
Hard disagree on this.

Having Borg in the game makes the meta more interesting. If I want Borg attempting missions like everybody else, I'll play 2e.

This isn't a commentary on the Borg power curve, which I still think needs some dialing back, but a fundamental change like you're proposing? Nah.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'd accept a change that simply allowed the Borg to be forced to attempt a mission involuntarily from opponent's cards, and that subjected them to all the same consequences from cards affecting mission attempts (i.e., Tricyanate Poisoning also makes the Borg objective targeting the mission worth zero points) and to losing points because of opponent's cards.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I can agree with [Bor] should be affected by opponents cards that make them lose points.

I will agree with Armus that the Borg being different is part of the features of 1E, not a bug. I have two great disappointments with 2E that prevent me from ever enjoying it fully.

The Borg are no different from anyone else, and when you assimilate someone you just take control of them. They don't change to Borg, or anything else.

(The other thing I greatly dislike is the battle rules in 2E, but that's a different issue.)

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Ooooh! This is interesting. Have to find all my documents with my ideas. Hope to come back with more in the future.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]