This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:11 pm In honor of Boffo I will nominate [Hir] Picard with [SD] Acquisition.
Bah. DQ needs more help than that. Make 'em [Kaz] [Vid] [Hir]

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
How about the Jean-Luc Picard that worked with Gul Macet to apprehend Benjamin Maxwell? He could be dual [Car] [Fed] (might give an excuse for an Enterprise as well) and have the same kind of authority that would actually help the affiliation as opposed to a prisoner that would be harder to justify as helping.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Slayer07 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:30 pm How about the Jean-Luc Picard that worked with Gul Macet to apprehend Benjamin Maxwell? He could be dual [Car] [Fed] (might give an excuse for an Enterprise as well) and have the same kind of authority that would actually help the affiliation as opposed to a prisoner that would be harder to justify as helping.
I think that's a stretch. It wouldn't be dual because Picard was never working for the Cardassian government, just cooperating. His other icons are well justified because he was under the control of and working directly for a Ferengi crew. He was working for the Klingon Chancellor. He was working for the Roumlan Underground. While he did, he wasn't obligated to follow starfleet/fed protocol.

While pursuing Maxwell, he was under obligation to still be a Starfleet officer.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:34 am
Slayer07 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:30 pm How about the Jean-Luc Picard that worked with Gul Macet to apprehend Benjamin Maxwell? He could be dual [Car] [Fed] (might give an excuse for an Enterprise as well) and have the same kind of authority that would actually help the affiliation as opposed to a prisoner that would be harder to justify as helping.
I think that's a stretch. It wouldn't be dual because Picard was never working for the Cardassian government, just cooperating. His other icons are well justified because he was under the control of and working directly for a Ferengi crew. He was working for the Klingon Chancellor. He was working for the Roumlan Underground. While he did, he wasn't obligated to follow starfleet/fed protocol.

While pursuing Maxwell, he was under obligation to still be a Starfleet officer.

It's really no more of a stretch that saying a prisoner being coerced is part of the affiliation coercing him. Especially since remember that he was not working for Romulan interests, he was at best (indirectly) working for the interests of the underground which is contradictory to the majority of Romulans.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Slayer07 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:40 pm It's really no more of a stretch that saying a prisoner being coerced is part of the affiliation coercing him. Especially since remember that he was not working for Romulan interests, he was at best (indirectly) working for the interests of the underground which is contradictory to the majority of Romulans.
I think this Picard would be well represented as a [Fed] personnel with [DL] Treaty: Federation/Cardassian. Or perhaps even better represented not as a personnel at all, but with a [WC] Incident that downloads that Treaty at the start of the game. Had Picard left the Enterprise and joined a Cardassian crew on a Cardassian mission, that'd be another story.

Personally I do agree the "prisoner" personnel are weird from an affiliation standpoint. Ideally they would play only as prisoners, but restricting them as such would either take up most (or all) of the text box or involve a new loaded icon. I see their current implementation as a compromise to get the Rura Penthe storylines to fit into a game that wasn't really designed to handle that type of story.

As for the Romulan Underground, being part of an affiliation doesn't mean you support the government of that affiliation*. The movement was working for Romulan interests, just different interests than those of the Praetor, Senate, Tal Shiar and military. One cool thing about this game is that you can choose if you want to have your deck represent The Romulan Underground or the more traditional Empire or mix them both together. Since Picard did support the Romulan Underground (despite it not being his original intention when he went to find Spock), I think his [Rom] version makes sense.

*As an example, many of the game's Klingons openly oppose whoever sits as Chancellor in their episodes/movies, and yet are still [Kli] personnel.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
GooeyChewie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:35 pm *As an example, many of the game's Klingons openly oppose whoever sits as Chancellor in their episodes/movies, and yet are still [Kli] personnel.
The problem with that logic is that they are Klingons by race, and thus have a good reason to have [Kli], regardless of their political views or agendas. Picard is Human so that doesn't work as a reason to make him [1E-Rom], but it does for [Fed].

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:10 pm The problem with that logic is that they are Klingons by race, and thus have a good reason to have [Kli], regardless of their political views or agendas. Picard is Human so that doesn't work as a reason to make him [1E-Rom], but it does for [Fed].
Perhaps I need to be clearer about my point. Those personnel are [Kli] by virtue of being Klingon species. Their species qualifies them for the affiliation, even when they are working against the Klingon Empire. Thus a personnel can be part of the [Kli] affiliation when supporting any group of Klingons, not just the Klingon Empire itself. Likewise, a personnel can be part of the [1E-Rom] affiliation when supporting any group of Romulans, not just the Romulan Star Empire itself. The Romulan Underground supports the civilian population of Romulus. Thus, members (even temporary ones) of the Romulan Underground can be [1E-Rom] affiliation.

I think Jadzia Dax provides a good example of what I mean and parallel to Picard. Kang, Kor and Koloth are pursuing their blood oath, a personal matter which does not concern Gowron or the Empire. Yet because they are Klingon and Jadzia is supporting them, she qualifies as [Kli] affiliation.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
GooeyChewie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:46 pm
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:10 pm The problem with that logic is that they are Klingons by race, and thus have a good reason to have [Kli], regardless of their political views or agendas. Picard is Human so that doesn't work as a reason to make him [1E-Rom], but it does for [Fed].
Perhaps I need to be clearer about my point. Those personnel are [Kli] by virtue of being Klingon species. Their species qualifies them for the affiliation, even when they are working against the Klingon Empire. Thus a personnel can be part of the [Kli] affiliation when supporting any group of Klingons, not just the Klingon Empire itself. Likewise, a personnel can be part of the [1E-Rom] affiliation when supporting any group of Romulans, not just the Romulan Star Empire itself. The Romulan Underground supports the civilian population of Romulus. Thus, members (even temporary ones) of the Romulan Underground can be [1E-Rom] affiliation.

I think Jadzia Dax provides a good example of what I mean and parallel to Picard. Kang, Kor and Koloth are pursuing their blood oath, a personal matter which does not concern Gowron or the Empire. Yet because they are Klingon and Jadzia is supporting them, she qualifies as [Kli] affiliation.
I guess in terms of gameplay, Picard and Jadzia may be similar, but in Trek Sense? Come on, a Blood Oath of a prior symbiont host is a far cry from what Picard did.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'd also like to see:
[NA] version for First contact when he was in 2060's civilian clothes
[NA] Dixon Hill from First Contact, possibly a dual personnel card with Lily
[NA] / [Fed] version from Insurrection when he's saving the Baku
[Fed] Version from start of insurrection as the Diplomat with the headdress on

I liked a lot of the other ideas on here, such as Tapestry, Robinhood, [Car] prisoner, lawyer on TNG
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Cartagia wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:14 pm
boromirofborg wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:32 pm I think visiting DS9 Picard would help [DS9] deckswithout breaking engines, and would have a gameplay reason to exists.
With a TNG Julian while we're at it!
While that all sounds fun, what I fear is that, if those cards are made, they won't have the magic words in lore due to "power concerns". And then we'll all be shocked when no one uses them!

What would be more fun for me would be more ways to play the large volume of existing PAQ and DS9-era nouns that don't play for free with an existing engine. I want to "retask" a Gomtuu Shock Wave dilemma into Gomtuu and Tam Elbrun! I want to turn DS9 into a hive of scum and villainy with the likes of Rax'na, Rionoj, and Xepolite Freighters! Make it easier for me to have Paul Manheim operating his Dimensional Door!

There are so many stories that can be told with existing cards, but the ability to play those cards has not caught up with the modern game. They're tantalizingly close because other cards from those PAQ-DS9 era sets have had new life breathed into them.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Oh, I almost forgot a card I was working on myself:

[NA] Locutus of Borg
[SCD] [SCN] [SCC]
VIP
[SD] Honorx2 [SD] Computer Skill [SD] Once per turn, may "stop" a Borg ship here until the start of your next turn. [DL] Sleep.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
enabrantain wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:20 pm Oh, I almost forgot a card I was working on myself:

[NA] Locutus of Borg
[SCD] [SCN] [SCC]
VIP
[SD] Honorx2 [SD] Computer Skill [SD] Once per turn, may "stop" a Borg ship here until the start of your next turn. [DL] Sleep.
I'd actually argue this could be a good use of Neutral personnel
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]