This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hello all!

This week I'm curious about how you play the game?

Do you prefer casual kitchen table games or do you prefer tournaments?

Additionally, when you play what type of format do you prefer?
* Limited card pool (sealed / block / custom)
* Story Scenario
* Specific Rule Set and/or House Rules

For myself, I mostly play through playtesting, but outside of that I my preferred way to play is through a limited card pool tournament, specifically Sealed. I like the randomness of sealed and the deckbuilding challenge with the random/limited pool.

-James M

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Orbin wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:22 pm Hello all!

* Story Scenario

For myself, I mostly play through playtesting, but outside of that I my preferred way to play is through a limited card pool tournament, specifically Sealed. I like the randomness of sealed and the deckbuilding challenge with the random/limited pool.

-James M
I largely play in sanctioned events, mainly because I'm a degenerate achievement-chaser.

Me and @The Ninja Scot really should form a support group... :P
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
1E American National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:32 pm
Orbin wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:22 pm Hello all!

* Story Scenario

-James M
I largely play in sanctioned events, mainly because I'm a degenerate achievement-chaser.

Me and @The Ninja Scot really should form a support group... :P
I don't have a problem...

Michael,
who's now trying to figure out what achievements he can get out of his affiliation...

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm a big fan of limited cardpool tournaments myself. It doesn't necessarily have to be sealed; just something to focus my efforts. Otherwise the analysis-paralysis to start deck building just kills me...

"Back in the day" it was a lot of casual play but I just don't have that kind of time any more.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I take any type of table top game. I tried Online shortly after I found this place, but the desktop I bought in 2005 wasn't up to the challenge when I played in 2013. Somehow I don't think breaking it out of the attic now would be any better.

Mostly, until a few months ago, I played Sanctioned tourney play because Cleveland had a player group. Now I taught my kiddos to play and kitchen table games are an option! (My wife firmly believes that anything that takes more than 30 minutes to play is too much.)

We play OTF, but I haven't instituted the Ban list, mostly because the only card the kids actually play on it is Red Alert, and there are plenty of limits to that one between the errata and Mirror cards like Spacedoor. (Plus I only had to use Ready Room Door to download Yellow Alert once to make them realize that building the deck around Red Alert was a bad plan. I haven't even had to stock Kevins yet.) So I guess "OTF, but no Ban list" is a House Rule set. About half the time we play 3 player Galactic Wheel, just so everyone who wants to play can play.

I let the kids have my collection to build decks from, which is only technically a "limited card pool" insofar as I don't own all the cards and I only have so many Virtual cards printed. They can only use foil cards if they use sleeves, so sometimes they don't have all the cards they want.

I enjoy the Sandbox nature of the game. We have fun matches.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
winterflames wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:38 pm (My wife firmly believes that anything that takes more than 30 minutes to play is too much.)
Preach!

I would love to play tabletop casual, but I have no group so I resort to tournament play pretty much exclusively. I like Full OTF, but I really do enjoy sealed, specifically Voyager and that Enhanced Premier sealed. I am also a big fan of the TNG Only Format as well, and that is my preferred limited format.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
My favorite way to play is OTF Complete, but in a casual one-on-one situation, no tournament points on the line, no pesky time limits trying to force the issue. STCCG is a game that wants an afternoon. I want to let it have it.

(Hard to find time for this.)

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I play mostly casual
we try to keep the games under 30 minutes if possible.
Mostly limited card pool,

I love sealed or draft events but they are becoming increasingly harder and more expensive to do over the years though.

We try to use Official Tournament Format rules, sometimes with added stuff to make it even more restrictive.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I've found my love of tournaments in Ach-hunting. But I love the full game even a lot more.
So: casual is still my favourite. (Although I haven't played it in over a year.)

With "full", I mean: untimed. Exactly what Wowbagger said. (Actually, my record is a 4-day game; but 2-day games have not been an exception.) Usually 2-6h total, I'd say.

I've not tried OTF before; we've been able to stick to Open and still have fun -- due to our limited pools card (i.e., collections).
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I really love sealed events. I am warming up to more competitive constructed play in 1E as I reacquaint myself with the rules and card pool. I do love OTF, but I find myself these days missing mission stealing just the tiniest little bit.

By karnstein
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I play causal games almost exclusively. I’ve played only a few tournaments; I’ve had fun when I did.

At home, we play untimed OTF.

I’ve really enjoyed Official Tournament Sealed Deck (OTSD) events, and I wish there were a sealed deck (OTSD2?) for the modern game.

I also like starter deck games, and I wish starter decks were released with the recent expansions.

Finally, I’ve had fun with multiplayer (Galactic Wheel) games. Some of those games have been epic!
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]