This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I was considering playing a deck in which I would use Wardroom to report some [NA] [1E-GQ] personnel. I was going to include Merruk, Taya and Colyus.

Then I realized: These are holograms. I can't play Holo-Projectors on a site. I don't think that Mobile Holo-Emitter can be "worn" at suspend play speed. (As would seem to be necessary to report someone to an emitter not currently being used, that is sitting at the site.)

I also know from the Rulebook that:
While deactivated, [Holo] personnel are disabled, and equipment may not be used in any way. If an activated hologram is deactivated, it may not be reactivated during the same turn.
And that:
[Disabled personnel may not be used in any way (including game text, attributes, icons, lore, skills, traits such as gender, species, or matching commander status, etc.), may not enable game text requiring that personnel to be in play, and may not perform any actions. They may be beamed or moved in the same way as Equipment cards (but are not treated as equipment in any other way)
So, it seems like what I was planning to do is downright impossible, because if I'm reporting one of these three [NA] [1E-GQ] personnel, they have to report as deactivated holograms, which means they lack the [NA] [1E-GQ] to actually report at this site.

(Edit: Although I initially indicated that I could report these cards to a Holosuite, in fact they could not report as they would be in the wrong quadrant. In fact, I would need a Holodeck Door to download them to the Holosuite.) The whole benefit of playing with Wardroom is to download personnel without matching the Nor's affiliation, or to play the card for free, which the Holosuite can't do.

Likewise if Ethan Novakovich is a hologram from These Are The Voyages could he be played to Quark's Bar deactivated for free or downloaded in place of my normal card play, or does the fact that he is deactivate mean he is not a waiter anymore and so is unable to report at all?
Last edited by WeAreBack on Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i don't know exactly how to word this but but activated and deactivated (i.e. disabled) are states the hologram exists in while in play, not during reporting. So the [1E-GQ] is still there when you report them. If it wasn't you could report them to an alpha quadrant facility because they would be native to the alpha quadrant if they didn't have [1E-GQ] .

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Interesting case.
So a [Holo] personnel plays or downloads like a normal personnel, but immediately after, takes on the state of (de)activated, depending on whether there's holo-tech present?
Is that another way of saying it, @Takket (or anyone else)?

I wonder what kind of deck you're coming up with, @WeAreBack . I liked the episode with Colbus and Taya. (The interaction with Odo was fun.)

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
WeAreBack wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:15 pm I was considering playing a deck in which I would use Wardroom to report some [NA] [1E-GQ] personnel. I was going to include Merruk, Taya and Colyus.

Then I realized: These are holograms. I can't play Holo-Projectors on a site. I don't think that Mobile Holo-Emitter can be "worn" at suspend play speed. (As would seem to be necessary to report someone to an emitter not currently being used, that is sitting at the site.)

I also know from the Rulebook that:
While deactivated, [Holo] personnel are disabled, and equipment may not be used in any way. If an activated hologram is deactivated, it may not be reactivated during the same turn.
And that:
[Disabled personnel may not be used in any way (including game text, attributes, icons, lore, skills, traits such as gender, species, or matching commander status, etc.), may not enable game text requiring that personnel to be in play, and may not perform any actions. They may be beamed or moved in the same way as Equipment cards (but are not treated as equipment in any other way)
So, it seems like what I was planning to do is downright impossible, because if I'm reporting one of these three [NA] [1E-GQ] personnel, they have to report as deactivated holograms, which means they lack the [NA] [1E-GQ] to actually report at this site.

Yes, I know I can report them to a Holosuite, but the whole benefit of playing with Wardroom is to download personnel without matching the Nor's affiliation, or to play the card for free, which the Holosuite can't do.

Likewise if Ethan Novakovich is a hologram from These Are The Voyages could he be played to Quark's Bar deactivated for free or downloaded in place of my normal card play, or does the fact that he is deactivate mean he is not a waiter anymore and so is unable to report at all?
I'm wondering if you can download/report them at all. In the same sense that you cannot relocate a hologram to somewhere they can't exist (i.e. you cannot move a hologram to a planet without a holoprojector via Female's Love Interest. I could very well have that incorrect, but I'm just speculating.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
stressedoutatumc wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:59 am I'm wondering if you can download/report them at all. In the same sense that you cannot relocate a hologram to somewhere they can't exist (i.e. you cannot move a hologram to a planet without a holoprojector via Female's Love Interest. I could very well have that incorrect, but I'm just speculating.
I don't see why you can't report them. The rulebook explicitly calls out facilities as a place they can report deactivated:
They may exist activated if present with a holodeck (on cards like U.S.S. Galaxy), but they may exist deactivated aboard any ship or facility. They may not exist anywhere else.

Holograms may not report or voluntarily move any place where they cannot exist.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
boromirofborg wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:02 am
stressedoutatumc wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:59 am I'm wondering if you can download/report them at all. In the same sense that you cannot relocate a hologram to somewhere they can't exist (i.e. you cannot move a hologram to a planet without a holoprojector via Female's Love Interest. I could very well have that incorrect, but I'm just speculating.
I don't see why you can't report them. The rulebook explicitly calls out facilities as a place they can report deactivated:
They may exist activated if present with a holodeck (on cards like U.S.S. Galaxy), but they may exist deactivated aboard any ship or facility. They may not exist anywhere else.

Holograms may not report or voluntarily move any place where they cannot exist.
I see, so they are effectively...equipment...in this situation? They can be reported deactivated then "carried"/moved to somewhere they can be activated? Is that how that would work?

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
If I was ruling on this, they can be reported, because reporting checks for the same things as any other personnel. (Compatible, matching quad, etc).

Once reported, they are deactivated, and can be carried somewhere that has holodecks to activate them.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
boromirofborg wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:34 pm If I was ruling on this, they can be reported, because reporting checks for the same things as any other personnel. (Compatible, matching quad, etc).

Once reported, they are deactivated, and can be carried somewhere that has holodecks to activate them.
:thumbsup: (I don't think you have to rule this; I think this is the actual rules. :mrgreen: )
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]