This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hey folks,

After the last few games I have played, I have been having a dilemma with my Dilemma's.

Typically, I try to focus on a strategy. Point loss, stall (by stopping as much as possible allowing me time to solve), or lock out by killing as many people as possible. But what I am finding is nothing seems to really stick and I think that's because of the sheer glut of available cards to get around it.

Point loss: there are so many bonus point mechanics that the meager amount of point losses through dilemmas comes out on the wrong side of the = sign

Lock out: same as above. There are a lot of ways to get killed personnel back into play (Nanoprobe resus, regenerate, etc, etc) that killing a few personnel here and there, only to have a fairly good %age of them come back into play 3 seconds later seems sort of moot.

Stall: this one also has it's issues given how most decks can play 2 or 3 cards a turn (whilst drawing as many), leading to massive away teams, most dilemmas can be passed fairly quickly.

SO, I ask thee wizards: wtf do y'all do? Not specific combos (but if you wish to provide, cool) .. but more your thought process/mentality when creating said combos.

I'm genuinely looking forward to reading the comments cause, so far, my luck has been minimal :)
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
It really depends on the deck. But basically I have two schools of though

Lock out only works if you have ways to reliably take out specific types of people every turn (Ceti Eel, Martok, Tactics, etc). It can work other times, but there is always a risk (e.g. the time i did diplo/security drain and i hit a kirk benefactor deck)

Otherwise, for me the only goal is stall until i can 1) slove faster or 2) kill people en mass.

For speed decks, you just hope your stall doesnt match your oppenets deck. For battle, you just need to give your deck the time it needs to ramp up.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Ohh I also love point loss, but borg always make it a risk.

My favorite memory is a deck that the reporting was shit (so i didnt solve much), but my opponents needed to a) launch the pheonix and complete 6 missions to get to 100 points and b) solved diplomatic conference for a net of zero points

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
pfti wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:05 pm It can work other times, but there is always a risk (e.g. the time i did diplo/security drain and i hit a kirk benefactor deck)
:shifty: Wasn't me :shifty:
Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]