This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I've been kicking around the idea for a while now, and that is to create a series of Episode cards, probably just using the existing [Inc] card format. But now that I think about it, a new card type might be better. Basically the card helps you earn points and bonuses for living out an episode (or part of a movie) of Star Trek, similar to the Objective cards from the old Star Wars CCG. Some Episode cards could download the next act/part of the movie or Episode, or they could also be double sided and you just simply flip them once 'act one' is over.
Requirements to play the card would depend of the missions you start with. They would let you download/seed the things you need to play out the episode. Bonus skills, abilities and points for using certain personnel and ships, having certain equipment cards, affiliation or species present. But it can't be all bonuses and rainbows, they could also let your opponent download some things from outside of the game to use against you, like dilemmas, events and interrupts.
Early experiments of my own revolved around Relics, Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds and Emissary. But they were as [Obj] and [Inc] cards. So what do the rest of you think? I'm sure everyone will have a few ideas to add to this.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Arguably this already exists with Assert Authority et al.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:19 pm Arguably this already exists with Assert Authority et al.
True, many examples exist already. But why would that be detrimental to a more structured approach of/for other eps (or archs)? (Or didn't you mean it like, 'We have it already, so why bother'?)

I like story mechanics (the one Nob mentioned is a great example), so I could like this.

Not a fan of a new card type/icon. That would also require new rules additions.

But simply making them all recognizable as double-sided [Inc] and/or [Obj] , could be nice. No rules hassle! The card tells you how it's different: "If... then flip over".

Of note: I like the "opponent can DL from OOG", but this should mean that owner of the mechanic brings all viable cards to the table (for live games). Just sayin'.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E Austrian National Runner-Up 2023
1E German National Second Runner-Up 2024
I would love to see those as new [Obj] cards.
Please make sure all affiliations have a chance of completing them, not only [Fed] / [SF]

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
An interesting idea. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would love to see something like that - particularly tied to Objectives.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Rancour@gmx.de wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:43 amPlease make sure all affiliations have a chance of completing them, not only [Fed] / [SF]
Wait. There are other affiliations? :shifty:
( LOL, wink! :lol: :mrgreen: Huh, the emoticons don't work in this hidden segment...? :? )

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:45 pm
Rancour@gmx.de wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:43 amPlease make sure all affiliations have a chance of completing them, not only [Fed] / [SF]
Wait. There are other affiliations? :shifty:
( LOL, wink! :lol: :mrgreen: Huh, the emoticons don't work in this hidden segment...? :? )
Of course there are no other affiliations. Who told you there were more affiliations?

I've had similar thoughts in the past. The Buffy CCG actually implemented episode cards in the form of two parts in their third set. If handled in the same vein as Assert Authority and those cards then it'd be simple enough, but I don't know if I call those episodes in the strictest sense. Alternately I feel like if it was it's own card type you could seed one episode card (for free) and then you could place the others in your deck but couldn't play another one until the previous episode has concluded or been nullified if possible.

The fun (and difficult) part is making them work for every affiliation on some level when the franchise is Federation focused, except Enterprise which is Starfleet focused. One work around in some cases may be (for example) if the card requires Jean-Luc Picard as a requirement it could be replaced with any Jean-Luc Picard so that way Galen, Ferengi Captain Picard and even Locutus could meet those requirements. Good, bad or otherwise it might also force out 'alternate affiliation' versions of main characters for other affiliations to have 'stars'.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Do you need a new card type for this? I think it kind of exists already.

Look at the Inner Light suite of cards. That's basically a way to turn your deck into an episode that involves missions, Seed cards, and the draw deck all working together to tell a story.

I don't see any reason why similar suites of cards can't be created for other episodes, and it's a target-rich environment. The key for me is balancing the cookies for doing an episode deck such that there's enough cookies to make it worth doing, but not so many cookies that it makes regular old "normal" decks obsolete.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
So, combining the thoughts of @Slayer07 and @Armus ...
The Inner Light is another existing example of what @enabrantain wants to accomplish. I feel it could be done, going fwd, in the same vein: different ways with existing card types. Multiple cards or one card... whole episodes/films or a sub-section (like Ceti Eel, Release this pain, ...), with the difference of actually, structurally, start looking at each episode/installment (over a course of many expansions, naturally)?

Simply skip the ones for which suitable story cards already exist. (Another example: the last DS9 arch, with the Dogs Of War expansion.)

I hadn't seen The Inner Light cards for a long time, if ever... They're great. But the one flaw: only "JLP" boost it (not, e.g., Galen or [Fer] ). As proposed, this should be done better -- in this case, any JLP (indeed, even Locutus? :P ) should be able to add benefit. :thumbsup:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
You guys could make up your own episodes too. Like "Make alliance with Breen." One reward for completing it could give you some Breen personnel that seed free under the card, maybe a ship and/or some equipment and they may now mix and cooperate with your cards. This could be done for the Dosi and Karaman as well. Romulan Underground, Cardassian Dissidents, Damar's Resistance, Freed Borg, Delta Klingons. The list goes on. I know mission cards fulfill part of this, and that's why it would be important to rope them into it as well. It might even get people to use less popular collection fodder. Like I said before, just an idea.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation