This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Armus wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:38 pm I personally would welcome a more counter- heavy meta. Too many people get away with too much bullshit.
I agree. If anything, I'm a little sad that too many cards are immune to counters these days. (See: Incidents. The fact that they are default uncounterable AND have to be used for more wordy things is not a great combination, IMO. I can agree with Missions / Objectives not having counters, but pretty much everything else should have some counter play.)

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:24 pm You missed my point entirely. The point I was making is that ET/AR:P is broken and thus creating an NPE. The Kevin and Amanda was an example of a simple counter. The point being, is that to repeatedly, turn after turn, counter this combo requires so much of your drawn resources that it pretty much prevents you from doing anything else, which results in the same NPE situation, damned if you counter and damned if you don't counter.
One more reply as I think it's me that's not being clear here. To start with, I agree that ET/AR:P is bad for the game and should be looked at by the balance team.

The main thing I was trying to call out is that you called being unprepared for Outpost destruction the fault of the player but being unprepared for the ET/AR:P strategy as not being the fault of the player. In both cases, being unprepared ends yours game and, in both cases, you could adjust your deck and do better against those strategies the next time.

When both strategies have counters it doesn't make sense to me to blame the player for not being prepared for one and not the other. Meta shifts make certain strategies valuable at times and not valuable at others as people adjust and it should be ok to get wiped by something you're not expecting.

Finally, I probably wouldn't have replied to your post if you hadn't said "no fault of your own" and instead said something like "the investment required to counter this strategy is too much to expect a player to do". I guess I just got a bit triggered :)

-James M

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Fair, but packing an extra outpost or 2 is not the same as having to add a stack of counter cards.

Let me put it another way, there is a bit of a difference between getting a Sherpa and packing for Everest vs. carrying an umbrella when out for a walk.

By rtiger32
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Between Quadrants?

Alpha to Beta is super easy. Fed space borders the Beta quadrant.
Alpha to Gamma is wormhole
Alpha/Beta to Delta is good luck. These two are polar opposites, so need transwarp or similar.
Gamma to Delta is about the same as Alpha to Gamma
Anything to Mirror is also hard, but maybe not as hard as Alpha to Delta

or... you can just ask Q and all the travel becomes super easy :P

On the other hand, one should keep the faction in mind. For the borg, moving to gamma and delta is far easier for them than it is for an alpha to move to delta, but the borg moving to alpha isn't so easy. It took them decades after all.

Though, perhaps one can consider Where no one has gone before as a method to hop quadrants?

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
KazonPADD wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:21 pm FFS

If my opponent travels to my location on turn 2 say, destroys my ability to play cards and solve missions… that is a negative play experience.

If I build a deck based on interacting with an opponent but fail to include any methods to travel cross-quadrant, that’s called being a dumbass OR bad deck building (whichever you prefer). You can still solve missions, score points, and potentially win. Definitely not a negative play experience. That would be “a play experience”. Adapt your deck and try again!
This :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

THOUGH, I would personally add that I think outposts need a general errata and an increase to total shields. I don't think 32/34 has paced with the inflation of available ship power, imo.
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]