This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By rtiger32
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Long ago in a galaxy far far away.... I picked up a deck or two, and a few packs of the star trek CCG. However, I never really found anyone to play with.

Then I found this place, but compared to the cards I have and the rulebook from 1994, things appear to have become complicated to the point I am not sure where to begin, and to the point I wonder just how relevant the TNG cards are compared to technology in the late 24th century.

Any advice for someone that only knows the original set?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Things did get complicated, and that's one of the things that helped kill the game.

But! There's hope! You can pretty much take a decent deck from 1994, add Continuing Mission + Attention All Hands + the appropriate [WC] card (see below) to it, and you're in business.

APPROPRIATE [WC] CARDS BY AFFILIATION:

[Fed]: Finest Crew in the Fleet
[1E-Rom]: Always A Chess Game
[Kli]: Legitimate Leader of the Empire OR Illegitimate Leader of the Empire

There are a few other [WC] cards out there, but, if you're trying to start with 1994 cards, don't worry about them yet; they need too many cards you don't have to work. And these four [WC] cards are very solid by themselves.

Yes, that is three new (complicated!) cards you will have to learn, but it's only 3 cards, not 3000, and is very doable. (That's how I came back to the game in 2011, after many years away.)

You can also sprinkle in new cards from the Next Generation Virtual Sets (here, here, and here) to expand your power in the universe without having to learn too much new stuff at once. Heck, you can just sprinkle in the cards you're comfortable with, and worry about the rest later.

Oh! And one more thing you really do need to know: the 60-card deck size is gone (since 1997). Nowadays, you follow the 30/30 rule: minimum 30 draw deck cards, maximum 30 seed deck cards. (Your 6 missions don't count towards that limit.) Your seed cards should be mostly dilemmas, as many as you can fit. Usually 18, sometimes 24, and the simplest version of your deck has room for a whopping 27 dilemmas. (Your other 3 seeds are Continuing Mission, Attention All Hands, and an appropriate outpost.)

Welcome welcome welcome!

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Yes, Welcome! If you have found someone to play with this time around that is great, but if not, please look at this post.
Also this forum has several local playgroups if you happen to live near one of them.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Welcome!

I can't add any thing more/better than BCSWowbagger has. Please feel free to come to the boards with any and all questions!

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
There is also the Traditional Decks Thread for those who wish to play with their own cards and not mess about with Printers and such.

You are always welcome to start there and then join us on the printer side when it feels more doable.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Indeed, well come! :D

Aside from the above-mentioned Traditional deck series, I also built two decks from only the Premiere set -- and with only single cards (no duplication in or between the decks. Thus they are not very efficient, and only useful against each other).
If you like to see, or need those decks (one is [Fed] , the other [1E-Rom] [Kli] ), reply or "@" me. I'll see it and link you up.

:cheersL:

By rtiger32
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:43 pm Indeed, well come! :D

Aside from the above-mentioned Traditional deck series, I also built two decks from only the Premiere set -- and with only single cards (no duplication in or between the decks. Thus they are not very efficient, and only useful against each other).
If you like to see, or need those decks (one is [Fed] , the other [1E-Rom] [Kli] ), reply or "@" me. I'll see it and link you up.

:cheersL:
I may have to take you up on that. I have maybe 300 cards total, and 3 different decks, largely singleton (At least for federation. The other two factions don't have enough ships.) Needless to say, this kind of spreads out what little power I have.

So yeah, probably terrible as far as competitive play.

I did have a look at the banlist and did have to adjust a few cards as I have a few of them.

So it looks like my options are the three cards mentioned before, or stick with the traditional format?

Also, maybe someone can work with me to learn how this works?

By rtiger32
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
So mostly, Add a few cards or stick to the basic format? I wouldn't mind some help figuring out how all this works. I did set up one of my decks in the builder here... it isn't much to look at.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
rtiger32 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:05 pm So mostly, Add a few cards or stick to the basic format? I wouldn't mind some help figuring out how all this works. I did set up one of my decks in the builder here... it isn't much to look at.
There are other approaches, but those are the ones I recommend. (Some people just try to learn everything at once! This sounds very hard to me.)

Can you link your deck? We can kibbutz it.

Someone (unfortunately not me, at least not this month) should definitely PM you to set up a time to play a simple game with you -- you using your deck, your opponent using one of the Coming of Age Starters--and walk you through the basics. That's how we build the community: one player at a time!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Looks like a decent start. 6 ships out of 45 cards seems about right given you have no way to get them except by drawing. Also Nutational Shields was nerfed compared to the original printing.

Out of curiosity, did you happen to pull Data and the U.S.S. Enterprise out of the same starter?

By rtiger32
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
No. I ended up with 3 starters, and about 15 packs. I don't have picard, riker, or the other bridge crew besides worf, data, and the enterprise. I also know of some other cards that should be in there like uxbridge, but never got one.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
rtiger32 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:39 pm No. I ended up with 3 starters, and about 15 packs. I don't have picard, riker, or the other bridge crew besides worf, data, and the enterprise. I also know of some other cards that should be in there like uxbridge, but never got one.
The reason I asked was I have heard of 2 instances (1 was mine, personally) where the 2 Rares in a Limited Starter happened to be Data and U.S.S. Enterprise. In my case, it happened to be my very first starter.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
rtiger32 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:18 pm I may have to take you up on that. I have maybe 300 cards total, and 3 different decks, largely singleton (At least for federation. The other two factions don't have enough ships.) Needless to say, this kind of spreads out what little power I have.
Hi, sorry, little time.
Decks: Black Clouds (Treaty), and Silver Borders (Feds).

Article/game & deck improvement notes are not finished. (But draft can be sent, via PM, if need be. Later.)

The silver border tin gift set (see deck notes) is quite cheap, or at least it once was (pre-COVID).

Not sure if you'd want to invest in it, however -- or in these decks! 8)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:53 pm Someone (unfortunately not me, at least not this month) should definitely PM you to set up a time to play a simple game with you -- you using your deck, your opponent using one of the Coming of Age Starters--and walk you through the basics. That's how we build the community: one player at a time!
Maybe this could be me, next week, during my daytime. Depending on what TZ you're in (that's a stupid question!), that might work. Are you up to speed with Lackey (Keii mentioned it already :thumbsup: ), or at least have it running?

I'm not the best person to learn strategy from, but I know old cards and I know Lackey. Also, I probably won't be the last person to teach you, so...

And, @Bagger , would one of my old Trad decks also be a good match-up? The CoA decks are really smooth, and they might be a bit too fast? If not, I can certainly do CoA -- I like 'em.
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]