This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Question split from old 1EFQ thread.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
DavidofBorg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:20 am So...umm. how does Q-flash work now? You just reveal all the cards in your Q-Continuum when your opponent encounters your [Q]-flash?
Q-Flash seeds atop your Q-Continuum side deck. This card opens the side deck and explains how Q-Flashes work. It no longer seeds under missions.

Q: A Dazzling Flash, Q: Enter The Supernova, and Q are seeded under missions. Each of those cards generates a Q-Flash with a certain number of [Q] cards. (I Will Not Promise... does this as well, sometimes.)

The [Q] cards for the Q-Flash are then drawn and either played or encountered, in the manner Q-Flash instructs.

You do not reveal all your [Q]-icon cards (unless your opponent triggers a Q-Flash of X cards, where X > the number of cards in your Q-Continuum side deck!).
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
The beauty of this errata is that a Q-flash more or less proceeds in the manner it always has, but now all the text is on cards instead of the Glossary.

Oh, and @BCSWowbagger forgot that the nullification function on the original Flash has been moved to Miss Q.

-  
Thank you all. It makes sense now!

I was looking pretty hard, and I guess it wasn't intuitive since there aren't direct links on the "Q-flash" card's link to the cards. I was clicking the links to related glossary entries and it doesn't come it there, and clicking the link to the relevant errata pdf also doesn't feature the important cards: Dazzling Flash and Miss Q. Now I see that I should have looked them up individually by name but I guess that seems like more steps than I expected there to be.

OK, I'm going to continue to nitpick on a technical level. Hope that's ok. When you search "Q-flash" it just pulls up the doorway, ok fine. But searching "Q flash" (no hyphen) pulls up nothing since I guess the title search looks only for complete character sequences including spaces. Anyway, that hindered my search as well. If searching "Q flash" could pull up Q: A Dazzling Flash, I think I'd have not asked this. I'm not suggesting changes how the searches work, just sharing my experience to add a little more weight to my suggestion about linking those two cards on the Q-Flash entry. :twocents:

All that said, I do like this approach, but I don't like how now I feel like I can't properly utilize my pile of physical Q-Flash cards. With in-person games are people still cool with the doorways seeded as the Dazzling Flash card? Same with Miss Q if I stock the original doorway in my draw deck?
 -  
Community Contributor
Thanks for the feedback! It is certainly undesirable for this to be difficult to find / figure out. I had hoped that the Glossary link to "has a Q-Flash" (which explains this in the second paragraph) would be sufficient, but I'll give it some more thought.
DavidofBorg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:00 pm All that said, I do like this approach, but I don't like how now I feel like I can't properly utilize my pile of physical Q-Flash cards. With in-person games are people still cool with the doorways seeded as the Dazzling Flash card? Same with Miss Q if I stock the original doorway in my draw deck?
As is often the case, I don't think anyone minds seeing pre-errata physical versions of errata'd cards, as long as everybody knows going in that it's got errata and everyone knows what that errata is. Basically, you'll be using the old cards as proxies for the updated cards, and you have to keep that difference in your head.

It would not fly at an event with a new players, for example, or players who have never played against [Q] before, because those players need to actually be able to read the gametext and the relevant rules. They're going to be confused enough without a layer of proxies on top of the cards. But if everyone knows and everyone's cool with it, I imagine an accommodation can always be worked out.

I hesitate, because I once accidentally brought an un-errata'd Klim Dokachin to an event by mistake and nobody (including me) remembered that the card had errata, so we played by Klim's extremely harsh pre-errata gametext, giving me an unfair advantage. But I've deliberately brought pre-errata physical cards in other circumstances for various reasons, and it has worked out fine.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
DavidofBorg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:00 pmSame with Miss Q if I stock the original doorway in my draw deck?
Well, don't forget that Miss Q also can get any [Q] card you like out of the side deck, once per Flash, which is more than the stock-in-deck function of the original Q-Flash.
 -  
Community Contributor
JasonRed3 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:10 pm So there's no more benefit to having more than one Q-Flash, right?
Correct. To cover all your missions with Q-Flashes, you can use some combination of:

Q
Q: A Dazzling Flash
Q: Enter the Supernova
Q-uality Time
Beware of Q
and of course [REDACTED]
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:30 pm and of course [REDACTED]
Whoops! Sorry folks. This concludes our broadcast day on Chiron Beta Prime.
 -  
Community Contributor
OKCoyote wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:42 pm
Did I say overlords? I meant protectors!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:00 am
OKCoyote wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:42 pm
Did I say overlords? I meant protectors!
I love this place! 😍

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
@BCSWowbagger, mind your P's &, well, Q's.

-  
I love Jonathan Coulton! And good points all around. Thanks.
BCSWowbagger wrote:Thanks for the feedback! It is certainly undesirable for this to be difficult to find / figure out. I had hoped that the Glossary link to "has a Q-Flash" (which explains this in the second paragraph) would be sufficient, but I'll give it some more thought.
In regards to the glossary entries: It was weird to click "Has a Q-Flash" only to be immediately directed to click another link for "Q-Continuum side deck. I felt like I already understood the side deck as whole so maybe I didn't read that carefully enough. This lazy reading may have been spurred on by not seeing anything directly referencing this "split". That entry doesn't mention Miss Q. I guess I was skimming for that stuff. I never felt like it (the one card becoming three) was all cleanly brought up in the glossary which was where I'd have expected it.

I understand that explaining errata isn't really what the glossary is for, but in this instance I think people coming into this version of the game with some knowledge from a purely "traditional" card standpoint might feel similarly caught in a loop of half-explanations. I think a big part of why it seemed counter-intuitive relates to my desire to play my physical cards as much as possible. I think I figured if I was expected to not use this purposefully over-produced doorway card so much the explanation would be mentioned in more than one place.
 -  
Community Contributor
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback! It's helpful.
Question for noob

It allows that personnel to mix. So if you play Fe[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]