This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I tried to understand previous responses when I searched for them, but I don't know if I am playing this correctly. So, say I have seeded:

Protect the Timeline, 22nd-Century San Francisco with Seat of Starfleet, and 22nd-Century ShiKahr

Does that mean I get up to 3 free reports because all my time locations are on the same Timeline? Or does Protect the Timeline limit the free reports to to just the specific Time Location it is seeded on? The core of the question, I suppose is there a distinction between "Time Location" and "Timeline"? I couldn't find one in the glossary and Hall of Magistrates, to me, implies that the "timeline" is made of all the same "time locations" in way the "spaceline" is composed of all the "space locations".

Thanks!

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
"Native to this timeline" only refers to the specific time location in question. Each one is distinct though sometimes there are ways of traveling between the two.

By patrick (Patrick Weijers)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:22 am I tried to understand previous responses when I searched for them, but I don't know if I am playing this correctly. So, say I have seeded:

Protect the Timeline, 22nd-Century San Francisco with Seat of Starfleet, and 22nd-Century ShiKahr

Does that mean I get up to 3 free reports because all my time locations are on the same Timeline? Or does Protect the Timeline limit the free reports to to just the specific Time Location it is seeded on? The core of the question, I suppose is there a distinction between "Time Location" and "Timeline"? I couldn't find one in the glossary and Hall of Magistrates, to me, implies that the "timeline" is made of all the same "time locations" in way the "spaceline" is composed of all the "space locations".

Thanks!
I think technically the answer to your question is "no", since the "because all my time locations are on the same Timeline" is not really relevant. But if I understand correctly, you can still play "up to 3 free reports", though, as long as all those cards that have been reported were native to the time location you played Protect the Timeline on.

So let's say you seeded it on San Francisco, you can then still report a [NA][22] personnel for free at ShiKahr, since that [NA][22] is also native at San Francisco. You coulnd't report a [Vul][22] personnel for free at ShiKahr, though, since [Vul][22] are not native at San Francisco.

(You could also still report Orions for free at Free Orion Slaves, since most of them are [NA][22]. (So not Telev Impersonator (who is not [22]) or Crewman D'Vela (who is [MQ]).))

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
There is a trick to getting 3 free reports using Protect the Timeline, but it only works with the Mirror Universe.

You seed 22nd Century San Francisco and play Protect the timeline on it. Then you play 22nd Century Japan. Critically, you then use Crossover: an invitation.

Each turn, you report a non [MQ] [SF] person for free on 22nd Century Japan using crossover an invitation. They can still "play for free" because they are native to where you played Protect the timeline. Then, you play two personnel at 22nd Century San Francisco -- at least one of whom must be unique and who can be [NA] [SF] or anything compatible with [SF], and the other of whom must be [SF] .

You just can't report [MQ] [SF] personnel free in the mirror quadrant anymore because they aren't native to where you played protect the timeline.

The same trick works in reverse (using the original Crossover) or using Halkan Council and Sherman's Peak

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
WeAreBack wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:56 pm There is a trick to getting 3 free reports using Protect the Timeline, but it only works with the Mirror Universe.

You seed 22nd Century San Francisco and play Protect the timeline on it. Then you play 22nd Century Japan. Critically, you then use Crossover: an invitation.

Each turn, you report a non [MQ] [SF] person for free on 22nd Century Japan using crossover an invitation. They can still "play for free" because they are native to where you played Protect the timeline. Then, you play two personnel at 22nd Century San Francisco -- at least one of whom must be unique and who can be [NA] [SF] or anything compatible with [SF], and the other of whom must be [SF] .

You just can't report [MQ] [SF] personnel free in the mirror quadrant anymore because they aren't native to where you played protect the timeline.

The same trick works in reverse (using the original Crossover) or using Halkan Council and Sherman's Peak
That's solid. Thanks!

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
It also works if you play Protect the timeline on a location, like 22nd Century San Francisco where [22] [NA] are native but can’t report for free. The you use another time location, like the ones for Vulcan or Narendra III where [NA] are native and a free report.
Then you can still play [22] [NA] for free at the second 2154 time location — you just can’t report the Vulcans or Klingons for free there anymore, so 3 total personnel.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:06 am Image

My brain initially interpreted this image as asking "Are we native to this timeline?"

While it's an odd question on the face of it, my main concern was that it was maybe being asked in the wrong forum.
I don't often truly LOL, so, when I LOL, I feel the person who induced it should get the credit, to wit:

LOL.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation