This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Hi! I'm a bit under the weather today, so I apologize for the Friday Question getting posted pretty late in the afternoon.

Do you play with house rules? If so, what are they? Why?

(It may help to say whether you play "modern" Official Tournament Format or "traditional" Open format, too.)

EDIT: This is cross-posted on the Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/stccg/posts/5112729065430262/. It should be interesting to see how the two groups align and differ!

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
When I play in a non-tournament setting I use a house rule that allows me to look through my Q's Tent at any time (and opponent can look through theirs at any time). I do this because I tend to build a lot of decks and find the memory issue of remembering exactly what I stocked in a specific deck's Q's Tent to be annoying and it doesn't feel like it adds anything or breaks anything to be able to see its contents.

NOTE: I usually only play OTF (outside of some sealed deck play)

-James M

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2 big ones.

1. No time limit.
2. May look through qs tent at any time.

Edit, we always play OTF rules other than the above mentioned.
Last edited by stressedoutatumc on Sun May 29, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
stressedoutatumc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:16 pm 2 big ones.

1. No time limit.
2. May look through qs tent at any time.
This!

And we always play OTF
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
The Q’s Tent one, and also one for determining who goes first in rounds 2/3 to try and ensure a broad balance of “going first”

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I play with a fixed time limit of 1h. There can only be a maximum of 4 copies of any card in the game
(so far I have yet to find any card that I REALLY need more copies of)
. All side decks can be looked in at any time. Both players may look through both discard piles at any moment.
No cards that have or had the [Ref] and all cards affected by it are banned. A banned list with anything from a single card to an affiliation depending on the meta shift.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Smiley wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:47 am There can only be a maximum of 4 copies of any card in the game

The only one that jumps out to me from the past is Gold-Pressed latinum, but it's been a long time sine I did anything with that. I rememebr have 10+ copies in decks back in the day though

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Shure. You can have it but you don't need to. =)

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Don't some Borg decks run dozens of Queens, since you really need her early and she's a great probe?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
again, you don't need her. You might want her but you do not need more than 4 copies. Most players are used to being able to have any amount of any cards now and that's a different beast. =)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
No cards that have or had the [Ref] and all cards affected by it are banned. A banned list with anything from a single card to an affiliation depending on the meta shift.
So... No Fighting Words, Kev/Amanda, Preperation, Wormholes, Scorched Hand, Masaka Transformation, Hidden Fighter, Going to the Top, Devidian Door, Cochrane Memorial, Kivas, Traveler, Spacedoor, Brain Drain and more?? Your ban list must be huge... You have to ban all report-with-crews as well. No, this is not the game I want to play. If it works for your house games and you have fun with that, fine. But if there is a tendency to turn 1E OTF into this, I will quit immediately. Same goes for 4-card-limits. Have you ever tried 2E? It seems to suit your house rules more than 1E.

Regarding the topic: Our house-rule is mostly no time-limit.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I do not play with house rules because it feels wrong given my job title. I let other people peek at their Q's Tent (it's a dumb rule) but never do it myself.

I do love getting invited to play homebrew formats, though, and there's a whole laundry list of house rules I'd like to try out sometime.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Caretaker's Guest wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:09 pmSo... List of Lots of cards Your ban list must be huge...
Yes, and for an that same reason. So much better and smoother game play.
Caretaker's Guest wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:09 pmNo, this is not the game I want to play... But if there is a tendency to turn 1E OTF into this, I will quit immediately. Same goes for 4-card-limits.
That was never the question and no one actually asked. This was about your playgroup's house rules. And I'm wondering why you would rather quit than try it? Seems sort of extreem.
Caretaker's Guest wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:09 pmHave you ever tried 2E? It seems to suit your house rules more than 1E.
Yes, have tried it, but it's not the same game as 1E, The basic premise of the game has a different cost system and play style. Just because our house rules share some similarities does not make it into that game.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]