This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

-  
The last time I played a game of TrekCCG, it was online via DigitalDeck in the early/mid 2000s, just before that endeavour went under. I'd like to think that I had a good grasp of the rules of First Edition at the time, as I'd enjoyed the game constantly since around the time that The Dominion was released.

It has, obviously, been almost 20 years or so since then. The game has moved on and I had drifted away from it. However, I have just signed up to my second ever TrekCCG paper event (the first being a constructed event in 2001), a sealed event involving OTSD, Blaze of Glory, and The Motion Pictures, which sounds like it'll be an absolute blast. I'm very much looking forward to it, even though I don't really expect to do well, but I would like to be on top of my game with regards to the rules.

So, what rules changes in the past 20 or so years do I need to be aware of? What rules and interactions that I "knew" have changed such that I no longer know them?

Any help and guidance that people can offer will be very much appreciated, especially if it comes before the event next Saturday (11th June).
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
The OTSD tactics haven’t changed much, especially as we will be playing “play as printed” and open rules (original). We’re even letting Raise The Stakes be legal!

Most of the time you’d prefer to find a two-way treaty to use, so mission stealing is back on the agenda. Other good cards are 1-turn stoppers, like Loss of Orbital Stability or Rogue Borg Mercenaries. It’s rare to get 3 solvable missions to get you to 100 points, so you may well need to complete 4!

Don’t be afraid to mis-seed other cards as dilemmas (never enough!), just don’t try to steal those missions as that’s not allowed.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
Well, it is a sealed event without errata and no bans.
It might be useful to check the dilemma resolution guide.
Seed cards like dilemma are a bit rarer in those events.
Batch seeding might be a thing.
The seed phase has changed a bit for seed cards like events and objectives.
Make sure to have the mission skills and affiliation/staffing for the ships.
Tactics need the Battle Bridge Door to be usable.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
KazonPADD wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:18 pm The OTSD tactics haven’t changed much, especially as we will be playing “play as printed” and open rules (original). We’re even letting Raise The Stakes be legal!
Are you guys doing batch seeding (OTF) or alternating seeding (Open)?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I maintain a spreadsheet of all rule changes ever made. I hope one day to turn it into a useful website tool for exactly the kind of people who are in your exact situation. The full sheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

However, since that sheet is incredibly unwieldy, I did some filters and manually deleted a few things you won't need for this tournament (namely [Bor] Borg rule changes, new affiliations, and the OTF Rules), and this is the list of Things I Came Up With That You Might Actually Care About that have changed between 1 June 2001 and 6 May 2022.

I erred on the side of caution, including more than I suspect you really will need to know:

Dilemmas override quarantines Dilemmas that require the movement of personnel, such as Abandon Ship! and Terellian Plague Ship, override quarantine. Nothing else does.

No-point-box missions are Alpha Quadrant Missions without point boxes (Space, Nebula) may now be seeded or played ONLY in the Alpha Quadrant.

Actions - initiation of dilemma encounter Initiation of a dilemma encounter is complete and the dilemma is "just encountered" once any targets for the dilemma have been chosen and you have checked to see if the team can meet the dilemma' conditions (if any).

Order of start/end-turn acts: your choice again The rule that, during the start-of-turn and end-of-turn phases, mandatory actions must precede voluntary options is cancelled.

Cybernetics free reports cancelled Cybernetics skill no longer allows you to report androids, for free or otherwise. (The new card Cybernetics Expertise does that instead.)

White Deprivation cancelled White Deprivation is no longer a rule. Jem'Hadar without Ketracel-White will now fight each other only if the new card White Deprivation is in play.

Dual-Personnel Cards: Random Selection - III When a dual-personnel card is randomly selected, the effects apply to both personnel equally, regardless of "group limits" on the card requiring the selection. (The "group limits" rule is superseded by this rule.)

Special downloads allowed in seed phases Special downloads are added to the list of things allowed during the seed phase.

No orders in the play phase (even downloads) The card play phase is for card plays only. (Downloads may occur incidentally, e.g. in place of your normal card play.) Orders may not be executed, even if those orders generate downloads. For example, 1st Rule of Acquisition and Defend Homeworld's last function are both orders, and must be used during your orders phase.

Downloading dual-personnel - II If you download multiple personnel with some kind of limit (e.g. "download 3 Treachery personnel"), and one (or more) of the personnel you download is on a dual-personnel card, the other personnel on the dual personnel MUST be counted if otherwise eligible for the download and MUST NOT be counted if ineligible (and thus downloads "free" by riding along). The order does not matter. (Although never a rule, there was a popular belief, sometimes used in informal rulings, that the other personnel on a dual-personnel card ALWAYS rode along for free, regardless of eligibility just as long as that personnel was downloaded last in the group.)

[Self] Self-Controlling cards Self-controlling cards fly, on their own power, toward their preselected destination. They don't use either player's tactics, but damage caused by them to your ships comes from opponent's Battle Bridge damage markers or Rotation damage markers, as appropriate.

Converting planet missions to space A planet can be destroyed ("converted to space"). This destroys everything on the planet, changes the mission's icon to [S], and counts as a [S] mission for the win conditions.

Species overhaul The species rules are completely replaced (and much expanded) with a new "algorithm" for determining each card's species, eliminating many ambiguities (e.g. what species is Stefan deSeve?), firmly grounding a card's species in its lore, and more clearly tying it in to the characteristics rule.

Mission personas Missions -- regardless of their edition -- may have personas! Stack them upon one another, read from only your side. While personas are bountiful each player may only have one of any given persona. One may not switch personas, lest they be violating my rules.

The Named-In-Lore Rule A card is "named in lore" by another card if the other card uses the exact card title of the named card. There are various detailed rules about how to determine exact card title given variations in capitalization, articles, apostrophes, and so forth.

[Bor] may only scout missions with point boxes If playing [Bor] Borg, you may only scout a location that has a point box.

Download and seed cards are hidden Cards downloaded and seeded should NOT be visible to opponents, even to confirm the legality of the download. However, status can be verified after the game, and illegally downloading and seeding a card results in a forfeit.

Holograms can report activated Holograms no longer have to report deactivated and then get activated by an already-active personnel. If there is holotech allowing them to exist activated where reported, they may report in that state. (If not, they report deactivated, and must be activated by another personnel when activation becomes possible.)

Frool Rule cancelled The rule that multiple copies of the same personnel cannot contribute to requirements or effects (for example, Duck Blind or Ressikan Flute) is cancelled.

Other seeds: facility phase only Some cards state that they may be seeded, even though they are not Doorways, Missions, Dilemmas, Artifacts, or Facilities. These cards may now seed ONLY in the Facility Phase.

Modifier order: Set, Add, Multiply ("SAM Rule") When multiple effects are modifying a value (even a non-attribute value), first set the attribute, then add to or subtract from the attribute, then multiply or divide the attribute. RANGE on a rotation-damaged U.S.S. Nebula (RANGE = 5) with Defiant Dedication Plaque and Kurlan Naiskos = (5 + 2) * 3 = 21.

Matching affiliation not needed to continue atte,pt Only check at the start of a mission attempt (as since Premiere) and when solving (as since Glossary 1.7) whether a team can attempt it. Losing all matching personnel mid-attempt no longer immediately ends the attempt.

Disguises count for characteristics Cards that state they were disguised as something qualify as that thing. Vedek Dax counts as a Vedek for Chamber of Ministers. Selok counts as both Romulan and Vulcan species.

Espionage cards do not overcome Fair Play (or OTF Rule #4) Cards may allow you to attempt a mission and this generally allows you to complete or solve that mission. However, if rules or cards specifically prevent you from completing or solving that mission, additional words are required. Espionage cards allow you to attempt all opponent's missions, but, if Fair Play is in play, you cannot complete them. Reaffirms rulings from mid-1999 and 2010.

ANIMAL restrictions cancelled All special rules related to the ANIMAL classification are cancelled. ANIMALs are normal personnel and may attempt missions, staff ships, etc.

Miracle Worker offloaded The skill Miracle Worker no longer includes Transporter Skill or any other skill. (Existing Miracle Workers receive errata.)

Stations: Usable only by controller Station SHIELDS can be lowered for beaming only by the player who controls the Station, like Outposts. (Formerly, either player could use Stations like this.)

Nors: personnel use WEAPONS outside Ops The rule that a leader (to initiate battle) or a matching personnel (to return fire or counter-attack) must be in Ops specifically is cancelled. As on all other ships/facilities, a leader/matching personnel may be anywhere aboard.

Nors: docking sites no longer required The rule that site reporting text is disabled without a docking site at the Nor is cancelled.

Nors: beaming restrictions lifted The SHIELDS on a Nor may now be raised and lowered for beaming normally (by the Station's controller).

Sites: walking limits rescinded The rule that a personnel may "walk" between sites only once each turn is cancelled.

Regions: must seed at either end of region When you seed a location into a region during the mission phase, you must seed on either end of the region; you may not insert into the region unless specifically allowed (e.g. by Bajoran Wormhole).

Being attacked does not "unstop" Previously, cards that were attacked were unstopped for the duration of the battle. This rule was necessary when stopped cards were barred from taking any actions. Now that they are not prohibited from fighting defensively, the rule is no longer necessary.

Outside the game restriction lifted The restriction that cards brought in from outside the game can't have been already sent out-of-play is cancelled

Face-up cards are public information Discard piles, as well as other face-up piles (such as face-up cards in a Q's Tent: Civil War) may be inspected by either player.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:49 pm
KazonPADD wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:18 pm The OTSD tactics haven’t changed much, especially as we will be playing “play as printed” and open rules (original). We’re even letting Raise The Stakes be legal!
Are you guys doing batch seeding (OTF) or alternating seeding (Open)?
Good point, we’ll probably stick with batch seeding for convenience/speed.

-  
Thanks to everyone who posted here. Sorry about not getting back to you guys sooner.

Most of the time you’d prefer to find a two-way treaty to use, so mission stealing is back on the agenda. Other good cards are 1-turn stoppers, like Loss of Orbital Stability or Rogue Borg Mercenaries. It’s rare to get 3 solvable missions to get you to 100 points, so you may well need to complete 4!

Don’t be afraid to mis-seed other cards as dilemmas (never enough!), just don’t try to steal those missions as that’s not allowed.
Thanks for the advice. I do recall almost all of this from many years ago, but it never hurts for a bunch of general strategy tips.
eberlems wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:25 pm Well, it is a sealed event without errata and no bans.
It might be useful to check the dilemma resolution guide.
Seed cards like dilemma are a bit rarer in those events.
Batch seeding might be a thing.
The seed phase has changed a bit for seed cards like events and objectives.
Make sure to have the mission skills and affiliation/staffing for the ships.
Tactics need the Battle Bridge Door to be usable.
That all sounds like solid advice. I don't know how many packs of Blaze of Glory we're getting to use, but I doubt I'll open enough Tactics to use, let alone a Battle Bridge Door as well.
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:05 pm I maintain a spreadsheet of all rule changes ever made. I hope one day to turn it into a useful website tool for exactly the kind of people who are in your exact situation. The full sheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

However, since that sheet is incredibly unwieldy, I did some filters and manually deleted a few things you won't need for this tournament (namely [Bor] Borg rule changes, new affiliations, and the OTF Rules), and this is the list of Things I Came Up With That You Might Actually Care About that have changed between 1 June 2001 and 6 May 2022.

I erred on the side of caution, including more than I suspect you really will need to know:

Dilemmas override quarantines Dilemmas that require the movement of personnel, such as Abandon Ship! and Terellian Plague Ship, override quarantine. Nothing else does.

No-point-box missions are Alpha Quadrant Missions without point boxes (Space, Nebula) may now be seeded or played ONLY in the Alpha Quadrant.

Actions - initiation of dilemma encounter Initiation of a dilemma encounter is complete and the dilemma is "just encountered" once any targets for the dilemma have been chosen and you have checked to see if the team can meet the dilemma' conditions (if any).

Order of start/end-turn acts: your choice again The rule that, during the start-of-turn and end-of-turn phases, mandatory actions must precede voluntary options is cancelled.

Cybernetics free reports cancelled Cybernetics skill no longer allows you to report androids, for free or otherwise. (The new card Cybernetics Expertise does that instead.)

White Deprivation cancelled White Deprivation is no longer a rule. Jem'Hadar without Ketracel-White will now fight each other only if the new card White Deprivation is in play.

Dual-Personnel Cards: Random Selection - III When a dual-personnel card is randomly selected, the effects apply to both personnel equally, regardless of "group limits" on the card requiring the selection. (The "group limits" rule is superseded by this rule.)

Special downloads allowed in seed phases Special downloads are added to the list of things allowed during the seed phase.

No orders in the play phase (even downloads) The card play phase is for card plays only. (Downloads may occur incidentally, e.g. in place of your normal card play.) Orders may not be executed, even if those orders generate downloads. For example, 1st Rule of Acquisition and Defend Homeworld's last function are both orders, and must be used during your orders phase.

Downloading dual-personnel - II If you download multiple personnel with some kind of limit (e.g. "download 3 Treachery personnel"), and one (or more) of the personnel you download is on a dual-personnel card, the other personnel on the dual personnel MUST be counted if otherwise eligible for the download and MUST NOT be counted if ineligible (and thus downloads "free" by riding along). The order does not matter. (Although never a rule, there was a popular belief, sometimes used in informal rulings, that the other personnel on a dual-personnel card ALWAYS rode along for free, regardless of eligibility just as long as that personnel was downloaded last in the group.)

[Self] Self-Controlling cards Self-controlling cards fly, on their own power, toward their preselected destination. They don't use either player's tactics, but damage caused by them to your ships comes from opponent's Battle Bridge damage markers or Rotation damage markers, as appropriate.

Converting planet missions to space A planet can be destroyed ("converted to space"). This destroys everything on the planet, changes the mission's icon to [S], and counts as a [S] mission for the win conditions.

Species overhaul The species rules are completely replaced (and much expanded) with a new "algorithm" for determining each card's species, eliminating many ambiguities (e.g. what species is Stefan deSeve?), firmly grounding a card's species in its lore, and more clearly tying it in to the characteristics rule.

Mission personas Missions -- regardless of their edition -- may have personas! Stack them upon one another, read from only your side. While personas are bountiful each player may only have one of any given persona. One may not switch personas, lest they be violating my rules.

The Named-In-Lore Rule A card is "named in lore" by another card if the other card uses the exact card title of the named card. There are various detailed rules about how to determine exact card title given variations in capitalization, articles, apostrophes, and so forth.

[Bor] may only scout missions with point boxes If playing [Bor] Borg, you may only scout a location that has a point box.

Download and seed cards are hidden Cards downloaded and seeded should NOT be visible to opponents, even to confirm the legality of the download. However, status can be verified after the game, and illegally downloading and seeding a card results in a forfeit.

Holograms can report activated Holograms no longer have to report deactivated and then get activated by an already-active personnel. If there is holotech allowing them to exist activated where reported, they may report in that state. (If not, they report deactivated, and must be activated by another personnel when activation becomes possible.)

Frool Rule cancelled The rule that multiple copies of the same personnel cannot contribute to requirements or effects (for example, Duck Blind or Ressikan Flute) is cancelled.

Other seeds: facility phase only Some cards state that they may be seeded, even though they are not Doorways, Missions, Dilemmas, Artifacts, or Facilities. These cards may now seed ONLY in the Facility Phase.

Modifier order: Set, Add, Multiply ("SAM Rule") When multiple effects are modifying a value (even a non-attribute value), first set the attribute, then add to or subtract from the attribute, then multiply or divide the attribute. RANGE on a rotation-damaged U.S.S. Nebula (RANGE = 5) with Defiant Dedication Plaque and Kurlan Naiskos = (5 + 2) * 3 = 21.

Matching affiliation not needed to continue atte,pt Only check at the start of a mission attempt (as since Premiere) and when solving (as since Glossary 1.7) whether a team can attempt it. Losing all matching personnel mid-attempt no longer immediately ends the attempt.

Disguises count for characteristics Cards that state they were disguised as something qualify as that thing. Vedek Dax counts as a Vedek for Chamber of Ministers. Selok counts as both Romulan and Vulcan species.

Espionage cards do not overcome Fair Play (or OTF Rule #4) Cards may allow you to attempt a mission and this generally allows you to complete or solve that mission. However, if rules or cards specifically prevent you from completing or solving that mission, additional words are required. Espionage cards allow you to attempt all opponent's missions, but, if Fair Play is in play, you cannot complete them. Reaffirms rulings from mid-1999 and 2010.

ANIMAL restrictions cancelled All special rules related to the ANIMAL classification are cancelled. ANIMALs are normal personnel and may attempt missions, staff ships, etc.

Miracle Worker offloaded The skill Miracle Worker no longer includes Transporter Skill or any other skill. (Existing Miracle Workers receive errata.)

Stations: Usable only by controller Station SHIELDS can be lowered for beaming only by the player who controls the Station, like Outposts. (Formerly, either player could use Stations like this.)

Nors: personnel use WEAPONS outside Ops The rule that a leader (to initiate battle) or a matching personnel (to return fire or counter-attack) must be in Ops specifically is cancelled. As on all other ships/facilities, a leader/matching personnel may be anywhere aboard.

Nors: docking sites no longer required The rule that site reporting text is disabled without a docking site at the Nor is cancelled.

Nors: beaming restrictions lifted The SHIELDS on a Nor may now be raised and lowered for beaming normally (by the Station's controller).

Sites: walking limits rescinded The rule that a personnel may "walk" between sites only once each turn is cancelled.

Regions: must seed at either end of region When you seed a location into a region during the mission phase, you must seed on either end of the region; you may not insert into the region unless specifically allowed (e.g. by Bajoran Wormhole).

Being attacked does not "unstop" Previously, cards that were attacked were unstopped for the duration of the battle. This rule was necessary when stopped cards were barred from taking any actions. Now that they are not prohibited from fighting defensively, the rule is no longer necessary.

Outside the game restriction lifted The restriction that cards brought in from outside the game can't have been already sent out-of-play is cancelled

Face-up cards are public information Discard piles, as well as other face-up piles (such as face-up cards in a Q's Tent: Civil War) may be inspected by either player.
That is absolutely amazing. I have definitely left it too late to take a look at the full document before the event, but I am going to take a good look through it afterwards.

Reading through the list of rules changes that you've posted has certainly caught me by surprise on a few things, so thank you very much for bringing them to my attention.

Thanks again, everyone! Only two days to go and I'm very much looking forward to this! :D
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation