This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Dukat wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:54 am Just read this report ...

https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=12098

Another tourny won by this.

When will something be done about it?
Short of an emergency ban, any errata would take up to a month or more as errata comes out monthly.

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
I'm quite confident that the June update this coming Monday might already have something about it, at least that's my impression from reading the board here.
Just for some perspective:
I published the deck on March 26; on April 21 I saw a post about how somebody here on the boards (who wasn't at the event where I used the deck; maybe somebody came up with the same combo at the same time, or saw it and gave it a go in an online game) called it a negative-play experience (here: viewtopic.php?p=575639#p575639), so that same day I sent a PM with my deck video to BCS, and on May 3 SirDan already posted that there were basically two options that are being considered to address this issue (see here: viewtopic.php?p=576454#p576454). With that timeline in mind, the May 2 update was unrealistic, so if there is indeed an update to this on June 6th, I'd say that's incredibly fast considering the pace at which such things tend to happen.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I also get the impression that there is some alternate version playtesting going on instead of emergency ban, since emergency ban does not rely on a first Monday rollout. If that is in fact the case, I would suspect a change is more likely for July than for June. :twocents:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Isn't the easy answer to add "just played" to protector so you can't nuke already- played Interrupts that are hanging around for whatever reason?

That should break this particular chain without nerfing protector into uselessness.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Armus wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:03 am Isn't the easy answer to add "just played" to protector so you can't nuke already- played Interrupts that are hanging around for whatever reason?

That should break this particular chain without nerfing protector into uselessness.
You may be right, but errata still has to be tested before release. It does seem that Protector is the problem in the combo, not ET.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:54 am When will something be done about it?
Well, first question - did anyone at the *tournament* tech in against a known issue?

If I'm reading the shtick right, it's using Amanda Rogers to clear out the End Transmission. Which means it's vulnerable to Q2, Quinn, Line, Oof.. I'm probably missing a few.

Should we be jumping direct to the Balance Team, if no-one has tried using the existing tools yet?
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
1E American National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
jrch5618 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:18 pm Can someone explain the combo? I haven't been actively playing much of late.
Quick version -

Opponent has countdown dilemmas that prevent you from solving a mission with a countdown (dilemmas in front of the countdown dilemmas to help ensure that you fail them.) Opponent prevents the countdown with End Transmission, which has its own countdown so it stays in play. Opponent prevents the countdown of their own End Transmission by using a seeded/played Amanda Rogers: Protector to put that interrupt back on the top of their deck as you will have a hand. They draw a card before they have to end their turn to play End Transmission again. Keep going until they're out of Amanda Rogers: Protectors. Stall them while you solve your missions.

Michael

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
jrch5618 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:18 pm Can someone explain the combo? I haven't been actively playing much of late.
For reference, here's the original video I made when I had the idea; it explains the idea behind combo and the pieces required, the deck that was used to make it work, and how it did in a local tournament: https://youtu.be/eERvH6USQBw

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
To put it in another light, this is the STCCG equivalent of MTG's Turbo Stasis Deck. You basically lock your opponent out as long as possible and then you gimmick a reset of your resources, and start again with the opponent still locked out.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
The End Transmission deck by itself is actually a lot of fun to play against. It's stasis, but surmountable, and puts a very different spin on the game.

It's when Kaiser brilliantly added AR:P to the mix that it appears to have gone Above The Power Curve.

Monday is the regularly scheduled rules / bans / errata updates. I would be surprised by an emergency ban today or tomorrow, since the regularly scheduled ban is the following day. Could be wrong, often am. And, actually, I gotta go work on this month's rules update! (The rules update itself is very small -- we are repealing an obscure 1999 ruling you've probably never heard of that affected one card--but I'm trying to do some technical changes as well that are a bit more of a bear.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Rachmaninoff wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:48 am Or we could errata A Missing Day to add [Ref]. :shifty:

Because the Internet is bad at conveying nuance I want to state for the record that I think that's a terrible solution. But some players seem to like the [Ref] mechanic...
Agreed, that 1) doesn't fix the problem, it just created a band-aid, 2) makes a new [Ref], and 3) creates a new problem in that cards that have [Ref] are designed to stop some sort of abuse. not provide something that can be used for some other reason. If the Security Download on Defend Homeworld was on it's own card instead of bundled into the rest of it's text, you can pretty well rest assured it would not be a [Ref], as it does not provide a defense against an abuse.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]