This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
A recent 1EFQ asked about people's favourite 4-card combos… and this got me thinking about dilemmas. I find building dilemma combos to be challenging and time consuming, so I have really enjoyed The Squire's Rules. The ability to not have to build comobos and still have a decent chance of stopping / slowing your opponent's mission attempts is quite nice and I've even used it in a tournament setting. This brings me to the question for this week:

What [Dual] dilemmas do you like to use with The Squire's Rules?

My answer:
Obviously thinks like Misinterpreted History and Rules of Obedience are must haves, but I also like walls that require multiple of a specific thing as the random stop makes it harder to guarantee you'll pass it. These include things like:
Scientific Method
Oops!

-James M

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:23 pm
Armus wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:04 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:00 pm I prefer to make people Experience Bij!, rather than a Dead End.
Porque no los dos?
Probably because there's a significant chance of one canceling the other.
Not really.

The odds are relatively slim that they'll both end up under the same mission to begin with, and even if they do, it's a coin flip which one hits first. If BiJ hits first, dead end is still good. If Dead End hits first, then your opponent gets redirected anyway. And if you hit late game, Dead End whiffs but BiJ is there to pick up the pieces.

So odds + potential game states still lean toward both for me, at least as a consideration, if not a must.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
1/6 1/9 = odds they end up under same mission
1/2 = conditional on the being under the same mission, odds they're in the "bad" order
5/12 = conditional on them being in the "bad" order, odds they're discovered (assuming the average opponent encounters 2.5 full dilemma combos)

Overall odds of regretting using both cards in a Squire stack: 5/144 or ~3.5% 5/216 or 2.3%. So it will work out ~96.5% 97.7% of the time.

Honestly, given how bad it is when it goes bad, and how easy it is to avoid those are still odds I'm not sure I'd take, but my usual rule is that my decks have to work right >80% of the time, and this clears that handily.

EDIT: Corrected odds.

The odds of them going under the same mission are not 1/6, but actually depends on how many dilemmas you have. Assuming 18 dilemma "slots" evenly divided in stack of 3 across 6 missions, any given dilemma has a 1/18 chance of being in any given slot and thus a 3/18 chance of being in any given stack. But the second one stacked has only a 2/18 chance of ending up at the same mission as the first one stacked, because the first one stacked has already used up one of the slots at that mission! 2/18 reduces to 1/9, so that's the correct number.

This varies slightly with larger dilemma stacks. For example, if putting 24 dilemmas under opponent's 6 missions, the odds of the second dilemma ending up at the same mission as the first are 3/24 = 1/8, not 1/9.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:37 pm 1/6 = odds they end up under same mission
1/2 = conditional on the being under the same mission, odds they're in the "bad" order
5/12 = conditional on them being in the "bad" order, odds they're discovered (assuming the average opponent encounters 2.5 full dilemma combos)

Overall odds of regretting using both cards in a Squire stack: 5/144 or ~3.5%. So it will work out ~96.5% of the time.

Honestly, given how bad it is when it goes bad, and how easy it is to avoid those are still odds I'm not sure I'd take, but my usual rule is that my decks have to work right >80% of the time, and this clears that handily.
I'm calling this a win for my "relatively slim" over @JeBuS "significant"... :wink:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
JeBuS wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:23 pm
Armus wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:04 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:00 pm I prefer to make people Experience Bij!, rather than a Dead End.
Porque no los dos?
Probably because there's a significant chance of one canceling the other.
I had that exact thing happen in The Neutral Zone release event. And adding insult to injury it was DE then BiJ on my opponent’s last mission.
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]