This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
What's the best affiliation today?

End of question. Have at it.

By Shepard (Matt Carroll)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I think there's still a strong case for Feds, particularly TOS. So many special downloads and other toys.

Edit: just thought I'd mention that I interpreted this question as the strongest/most competitive, but not necessarily the most well-done or thematic.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Borg : very strong in the tournament meta when piloted by someone who knows what they are doing. They police the meta in general by ignoring a lot of dilemmas that could take over the meta and frankly - they really are designed to play the way they appear on the screen which is fun.
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:43 am What's the best affiliation today?

End of question. Have at it.
Feds. They have access to everything, and usually at par or better than the affiliations who are supposed to be "good" at that thing.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
TOS of every stripe are pretty darn strong these days. The ability of all 3 of those affiliation to 2-mission win is no comparison to how much work any other faction / affiliation has to do to achieve the same goal. :twocents:

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:56 am TOS of every stripe are pretty darn strong these days. The ability of all 3 of those affiliation to 2-mission win is no comparison to how much work any other faction / affiliation has to do to achieve the same goal. :twocents:
Yep. Altonian Brain Teaser isn't looking quite as useless/niche with so many missions netting significant bonus points from Preserver Obelisk. Also the ships that download people during a mission feels pretty broken when it spoils an otherwise killer dilemma combo.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
1E American National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Whichever gets me the achievements I'm looking for.

Michael,
Has two games' worth of achievements done, now working on 1e.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I think the best affiliation is Cardassian. They have a good theme and a good selection of personnel without having it all.

Oh, you meant wining tournaments?!

Feds or Borg I would say.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Smiley wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:16 pm I think the best affiliation is Cardassian. They have a good theme and a good selection of personnel without having it all.

Oh, you meant wining tournaments?!
I deliberately left the definition of "best" open-ended.

I'm fond of Cardassians, who are balanced enough, but I personally find that their flavor is too much of a mish-mash to be quiiiite coherent. They've got little bits and pieces from several different affiliations, but very little that is truly Cardassian. (What they do have in that regard has largely been pushed onto them during the CC era, although this has been a pretty successful effort, all things considered.) They're among my favorites but not my actual favorite.

My favorite is, maybe surprisingly, the [Baj] Bajorans, who have not just some great, well-defined strengths, but some very well-defined weaknesses, which other affiliations often don't. (Although they are deliberately not very interactive, which cuts against my playstyle in recent years.)
Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]

Klingon Neelix ponderings

I am collecting data at this point. Someone aske[…]

Keep in mind that it doesn't stop anyone itself, m[…]