This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
There are decks that I just don't play because there's no way to reliably protect myself from decks seeding 4-6 copies of Computer Crash. As it is, all non-Borg strategies to protect yourself from computer crash hinge on seeding Quark's Isolinear Rods, which allows you to keep it in play if you have any Quark or to download 10 and 01 to hand.

Decks that cannot access this strategy include:
-The Final Frontier Decks, since you can't play either Quark or 10 and 01
-Any [1E-DS9] decks that don't include a copy of Quark's Bar (which you can use to download Quark or Mr. Quark in the [MQ] after fliping QIR., thereby keeping QIR in play)
-Any [1E-DQ] decks without an Alpha Quadrant location. (Seeding a Temporal Micro Wormhole just to get Quark or 10 and 01 out makes it 2 seed cards just to protect yourself.)
-Decks that depend on all personnel in play being [CF].

Additionally, since downloading 10 and 01 using QIR occurs during the execute orders phase of the turn, you can't actually play them until the start of your next turn unless you have some fancy shenanigans like Imperial Intimidation that let you report a personnel from hand outside your card play phase. This opens you up to an opponent using a well time Masaka Transformations to make you shuffle the card back into your deck.

Basically, my feeling is that if you are willing to use a seed-slot, you should be able to to protect yourself from computer crash regardless of what deck you are using.

Here's my proposal for a new Personnel:
❖ 01:
ENGINEER
[SD] May seed at any facility. [SD] Nullifies all Computer Crash cards in play. [SD] Ignore when checking your personnel in play. [DL] 10
Lore: A paired Bynar. Representative of technicians of many races skilled with computers.
(A new unique personnel, 10, would be toned down, so as not to let you download Bynars Weapon Enhancement.)

Because seeded cards are not "played" this new version of 01 would avoid breaking Reshape the Quadrant, and the card is compatible with TFF and cards that look at your cards "in play" to check if they are all [CF].
Basically the only decks that couldn't immediately access this card would be those that use only time locations without a facility. And they can likely just seed a Mission II that comes with an in-built outpost to seed this card at.
Last edited by WeAreBack on Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
If your opponent is willing to burn 4-6 seed slots on Computer Crash, shouldn't you just thank him for not using the seeds on dilemmas and smash through his lightly seeded missions without dilemmas? What non-Borg decks are so critically dependent on downloads that they can't basically function under Crash conditions?

ETA: I've actually always been annoyed that Borg have such cheap access to anti-Crash tech, and so my inclination is more to reduce their anti-Crash tech rather than increase everyone else's.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:13 am If your opponent is willing to burn 4-6 seed slots on Computer Crash, shouldn't you just thank him for not using the seeds on dilemmas and smash through his lightly seeded missions without dilemmas? What non-Borg decks are so critically dependent on downloads that they can't basically function under Crash conditions?

ETA: I've actually always been annoyed that Borg have such cheap access to anti-Crash tech, and so my inclination is more to reduce their anti-Crash tech rather than increase everyone else's.
This is the way. Sure Crash is annoying and I am unhappy that TNG only format now has a copy, but yeah if your opponent heavily invests in them...adapt?

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Seeding 6 copies of Computer Crash is one of those strategies that follows the 62nd Rule of Acquisition.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:13 am If your opponent is willing to burn 4-6 seed slots on Computer Crash, shouldn't you just thank him for not using the seeds on dilemmas and smash through his lightly seeded missions without dilemmas? What non-Borg decks are so critically dependent on downloads that they can't basically function under Crash conditions?

:thumbsup:

By ShipNerd
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
If someone used 6 seeds on computer crash and therefore less dilemmas, smashing that with an easy way out, is not fair for the deck that used 6 seeds for it. there are always both sides. And for some downloads are just as enoughing as computer crash. Bot due to power and time it takes.

Is there a deck not able to use multiple Kevin Uxbridges? Would it be a lost card if someone does not have computer crash but other events?

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:35 am Honestly, if a player wants to burn 6 seed cards for computer crashes its a choice, not a design flaw.
And possibly a valid meta choice with TOS Fed being so strong and download heavy especially special download dilemma "cheats".

I don't want a TOS Fed "10 and 01" or "Quark" to create certainty for their downloads.

I would go so far as to say add "(Except for [DL])" to Quark's Isolinear Rods.

Then make some of the downloads like Maxwell Forrest and such to not be special downloads so these set up cards still work.

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Done.

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]

Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]