This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
You're right that DQ is underpowered at present and not frequently played -- which means the issue of non-interaction due to quadrant separation (the premise of the thread) is relatively infrequent.

But upcoming sets are designed specifically to boost DQ. If those sets are successful, DQ *will* be played more, and this issue will arise *then*. It's better to pre-empt issues proactively than fix them reactively.

Upon further thought, we might even be able to get away with a two-way AQ/DQ gateway anchored on the Caretaker for story purposes (after all he was going to send Voyager back if he hadn't died). Maybe something like this... just an idea, text is not finessed for rules or power:

Incident: Caretaker something something
Seeds at any [1E-DQ] planet (download Caretaker's Array there). Your personnel and ships with Star Trek: Voyager property logo gain [Voy] icon. At start of any turn, each player may move one staffed ship between this mission and any spaceline location in another quadrant (ship is "stopped"), or vice versa.

with the new DQ engines keying off of the [Voy] icon.

More powerful than Barzan in that the location is more flexible, but less so in that you have to move the ship at the start of the turn and face a full-turn stop, and you can only move one ship per turn. More importantly, regardless of the quadrant *you* are playing, if you have a DQ opponent there's a good chance they will provide the means for you to get there.

I'm iffy on the "or vice versa" part, it may be needed for balance but the story would be stronger if it was limited to returning a ship brought to the Array in the first place.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hot take- Maybe not every affiliation SHOULD have access to every Quadrant all the time.

Maybe there IS a place in the game for turtling.

Maybe not being able to wipe your opponent out of existence before they can even get off the ground is a necessary part of a healthy game.

Now... maybe there should be costs to such turtling, and maybe a lot of the existing cards (especially from the late Decipher [1E-DQ] era) aren't particularity good at providing such tradeoffs, but by all accounts both in- universe and in real life, the galaxy is a pretty big fucking place... so maybe not shrink it down so much?

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Armus wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:01 pm Hot take- Maybe not every affiliation SHOULD have access to every Quadrant all the time.

Maybe there IS a place in the game for turtling.

Maybe not being able to wipe your opponent out of existence before they can even get off the ground is a necessary part of a healthy game.

Now... maybe there should be costs to such turtling, and maybe a lot of the existing cards (especially from the late Decipher [1E-DQ] era) aren't particularity good at providing such tradeoffs, but by all accounts both in- universe and in real life, the galaxy is a pretty big fucking place... so maybe not shrink it down so much?
I would be in favor of different quadrants having different abilities to get there. As in, I think it should be relatively easy to get *one* ship to the DQ to come interact. I don't know that you should be able to bring your fleet.

But then, I also would like there to be a lot more ways for a single ship to interact with others in a non-battle way. (Like Open Diplomatic Negotiations, the Tamarian ships, etc.).

AND/OR: I'd like a lot more single ship battles meant to delay, not massive armadas meant to wipe out the opponent.

At the end of the day, what I really don't want (and am concerned about with a return to the [1E-DQ] ) is games where the only time your cards interact with my cards is just dilemmas, and there is no possible way to interact on the fly.

Turtling is fine, IMO, as long as turtling is the "come and get me, it's gonna be hard" way, not "hope you included these 5 cards in your deck, if not it's a solitary race" kind.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation