This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

In a world where we safely could, from which new Trek should we add content?

Star Trek (2009)
9%
Star Trek Into Darkness
9%
Star Trek Beyond
9%
Discovery
14%
Picard
15%
Lower Decks
15%
Prodigy
8%
Strange New Worlds
19%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello,

Today's question is entirely theoretical. We have no plans to include content from modern Trek in our game, because we don't feel like we can do so safely. But what if we could?

In a world where we could safely add content from the Kelvin films or Paramount+ series, would you want us to? Why or why not?

Have a great weekend, and good luck to everyone participating in American Nationals this weekend!

-crp

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
No. Unless hell no is an option? In which case I'll go with hell no.

Without turning the 1E forum into a debate of Star Trek 2009 and beyond, I simply do not like the newer star trek (though i have yet to see any of prodigy or strange new worlds, until i sign up for P+)

"none of the above" should be an option in the poll

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
boromirofborg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:35 am I voted for all. That’s not an endorsement of the shows per se. Out of all the ones listed, the only ones I actually like are SNW, Lower Decks, and Prodigy.

From from a gameplay perspective, they all have things they could add and would be interesting.
Exactly this. While i have enjoyed, to differing levels, all the series...whatever can add to the database of cards in interesting ways, im all for it.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Hard no on the Kelvin-verse and the Animated shows. This leaves Discovery, SNW, and Picard. I need Jurati/Queen singing Shadows of the Night!
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I hate most of these shows (sorry to their fans), but I am having a hard time justifying excluding any of them from the CCG, assuming we live in a world where we could include them safely.

They are all Star Trek, after all, even if Star Trek that is very much not my cup of tea. ENT is not some people's cup of tea, but I love it and I'm glad it's in the game. Someone else will no doubt feel the same way about (goodness) Star Trek Picard, and -- even though thinking about Star Trek Picard makes me feel the way early-Season 3 Archer felt when he thought about Xindi--who am I to spoil the fun of other fans?

So I suppose I will just have to hope that we will never arrive in a world where we can include them safely. :)

For the moment, I marked only the Kelvinverse movies, for this simple reason: none of the other shows are over yet. Decipher always did its best work when it released cards for shows that had already concluded, so it could see the full scope of them before sitting down to design. If CBS wrote us tomorrow and granted us full permission to use all the Star Trek shows in our cards, I would say that we start with the Kelvinverse, because it's done, dead, and digested.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Haven't you hear the rumors of Star Trek 4?
So the Kelvin-Nonsense isn't over.

I've voted for SNW, just because it is the only series that I'm looking forward to and there is no "Hell no! option" to vote. As soon as the show is for free I will watch it. The stories and ratings for the show are good. (and since it is a discovery spin off, I hope they will never ever meet the (Ork-) Klingons again!)
Picard was a disappointment. I've seen Season one. And will never watch it again.
Discovery was a disappointment from the beginning and I've never seen a single episode and I really can't understand how a show can live that long with such bad reviews. I've only read the episode synopsis and the reviews/ratings on it and have to say -> no thank you.
The whole Kelvin movies are more meh than supi. 1 = meh, 2 = okay, 3 = bad, 4 = ?

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yes. Not every series or every card or every set will be for everyone, but I can see some enjoying the new shows and cards from them. And you don't have to like the show itself to enjoy playing with the cards. I personally get no joy from the original series, but they are fun to play.
Last edited by winterflames on Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I voted yes for all the non-Kelvin stuff. I’ve been enjoying all the new stuff coming off Paramount+. It’s not all great, but it is good.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
I’m not into any of the animated shows (my almost 17 year old daughter (Ella) and i gave Lower Decks first season a try (about 3 or 4 episodes) and neither of us were impressed. I tried the first episode of Prodigy but halfway through just gave up. While I wouldn’t be interested in anything from these two, I don’t begrudge any who would like material.

The Abramsverse films were fairly enjoyable (if you can get past the retcon of our established 40 years + Prime timeline, and im still on the fence about that) and Beyond is my guilty pleasure, notably due to Sofia Boutilla’s Jaylah.

Discovery is majorly a hit and miss (loved Rainn Wilson’s portrayal of Harry Mudd in the first season, enjoyed the Mirror Universe stuff from s.2 (but that’s because I’m a sucker for the MU.) 3rd was cool expressly for the Anson Mount and Rebecca Romiijn pre-SNW aspect. S.4 was ho hum save for Oded Fehr’s best Admiral character ever.

I thoroughly enjoyed Picard’s two seasons thus far (binged both about 4 times each [first myself, 2nd with my buddy Benny ‘mindmage’, third with Ella, and fourth with my MtG player Austen.] And can’t wait for TNG reunion in S.3!!! So, yes, please.
And i agree Professor Scott, while i wanted Agnes to die in s.1, am glad she didn’t because we would’ve been robbed of her awesome Shadows of the Night snippet…i still want her to release a full song YouTube performance version to this day!!!

But the creme de la creme, the absolute jewel is SNW!!! (Binged this first season four times with the same three other people mentioned in the order/pattern above with Picard)!
Akiva Goldsman is the right man behind this whole production. The cast! The characters! The stories/plots. The loving attention to detail and the seamless nature that (while some 53 years after TOS wrapped its television journey AND allowing for the technological advances in our timeframe to be utilized) feels like a pitch perfect prequel nearly ten years prior to Gene’s original vision (and that may be in part due to his son, Rod’s involvement) in the same/similar way Rogue One was connected to A New Hope.
Mount, Romiijn, Horak, Olusanmokun, Bush, Gooding, Navia, Kim, Sandhu, Holmes, Chong, and Wesley have all been a blast seeing them fantastically inhabit their roles/characters!!! S.2 can’t arrive fast enough.

So, pretty please, yes! Yes. YES! Yes!
:cross:

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
All of it. Yeah, there’s parts of it I don’t particularly like, but that’s a terrible justification for excluding anything. Shades of Gray is a terrible episode, but the Shades of Gray cycle of dilemma boosters prove that even subpar Trek can make for good cards.

I would consider the Animated Series the top priority, since I honestly think it should have been introduced to both 1E and 2E many years ago.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation