This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

In a world where we safely could, from which new Trek should we add content?

Star Trek (2009)
9%
Star Trek Into Darkness
9%
Star Trek Beyond
9%
Discovery
14%
Picard
15%
Lower Decks
15%
Prodigy
8%
Strange New Worlds
19%
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
My issue is that it's inevitable that someone will want to play Spock, Spock, and Spock because they're different universe Spocks.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Enabran wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:40 pm You already can do this: One version of Mr. Spock can meet his Older Version and talk with the Mirror Spock
Yup, but now extend that to Abrams-Spock and TAS-Spock and Discovery-Spock.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
AllenGould wrote:
Enabran wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:40 pm Yup, but now extend that to Abrams-Spock and TAS-Spock and Discovery-Spock.
DSC Spock and TAS Spock should be the same personal as TOS/TMP Spock, so all we would be adding is Kelvin Spock. If the Kelvin universe was ever added, I would expect it to be at least as difficult as the Mirror Quadrant.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I said yes to everything.
I don't really like any of the new shows other than Strange new Worlds which is nice and quite optimistic.
But I'm not the one to say what goes in or not. It's all about if anyone wants it, then we should have it there.

But maybe the new shows would fit better with a new game. Or something similar. Because the games we have access to today might already have a thgith focus where the new shows would have a hard time bending around to accommodate. But a new one or a version of it could work maybe. Sort of a hybrid thing which lets you add the card to the old game, it would probably nog be any good in it but at least you have the possibility to play with it. And in the other game it could be quite the good card.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
The only one out of all of them I could stomach was Picard, at least it brought back the core franchise our game is really about.

Here's the real question, before adding a ton of new convoluted story arch's, affiliations and confusing persona's, wouldn't it be better to focus on the [1E-DQ] , [CF] , [EE] , [DS9] , [1E-TNG] , [OS] , [22] , [MQ] and [1E-GQ] , [1E-AU] , and [Holo] plots and storylines we're still waiting for in the Prime Universe? Not to mention the support older ones still need, maybe not direly need, but it's nice to have options. Just my :twocents:

And to clarify, the point I'm trying to make here is, the game already has enough on it's plate. More is not always better.

It reminds me of Axis and Allies: War at Sea. People got obsessed with fantasy ships, in the end we got about six fantasy ships, all rares, and when the game ended we didn't get things like the USS Ranger, USS Texas, HMS Implacable, USS Langley, USS New Mexico, HMS Furious. HMS Colossus, IJN Hiryu, INJ Unryu, etc ,etc. Some of those could have been a sister ship instead, but the point is, games don't last forever. It's a miracle the CC has lasted this long. I'd hate to see the time we have left wasted on such weak content.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
enabrantain wrote:I'd hate to see the time we have left wasted on such weak content.
You realize we've made cards based on Shades of Gray, right? Plus, a good portion of the most recent set is from one of the most derided works of the franchise.

It's not as much the content of the episode as it's the quality of the cards.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
If anything, sometimes the weaker the content, the more room there is for the cards to make something good out of it, where when it's strong content, it's very limited on rails to what can be developed.

For example, I would point to Far Beyond the Stars. Not much exists of it in either game, because ;it's going to be really, really hard to adapt.

My favorite episode of Star Trek ever made - Duet - only has a couple cards, and I can't really argue for their being. lot more room.

On the flip side, Nemesis is easily my least favorite of the Movies, even below Final Frontier. Yet it has a ton of design space, a lot of which is barely scratched in 1E so far. When given the choice, I will always watch Duet over Nemesis, but I'd rather play in Nemesis.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ausgang wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:59 pm
Takket wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 pm "none of the above" should be an option in the poll
Seconded.
"Thirded"

In light of a lack of 'none' I have voted for Lower Decks as it is the only one to amuse me at all*.

*Haven't seen SNW yet, I remain hopeful for that one...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:58 pm
Ausgang wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:59 pm
Takket wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 pm "none of the above" should be an option in the poll
Seconded.
"Thirded"

In light of a lack of 'none' I have voted for Lower Decks as it is the only one to amuse me at all
I just didn't vote.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
phaserihardlyknowher wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:16 am I actually like much of the new Star Trek stuff, though it sounds like I'm the only one.
I assure you that you are not alone.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
phaserihardlyknowher wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:16 am I actually like much of the new Star Trek stuff, though it sounds like I'm the only one. I think there are two interesting spaces that come to mind:

1. Expanding TOS stuff with some battle feds from Discovery might be a fun new way to play Feds.
2. Far future Discovery gives a whole new time period to play with.
Having not seen any of it, I'm neutral on the new content.

But TOS Battle Feds made me actively cringe. :x If there's one thing TOS Feds DONT need it's to give them tools for the one thing they aren't already good - and in many cases the best - at.

In fact I think we can go quite a long time - maybe even the far distant Discovery future - without giving TOS Feds *any* more help and they'll still be tier one with what they already have.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]