This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello folks, and happy Friday. It's time for another Friday question, and this week's question is about errata. An errata is a change to a card's text with the intent to correct a mistake or balance the card's power. Cards have been issued errata to fix misspellings, reduce power level, clarify function, or introduce new text.

But not every errata is successful. In the early days of the CC's support for First Edition, and errata to Q rendered it quite a bit ordinary. It was clearly a problem card before, but eliminating all the extra text and turning into just a one-time wall was a fail. And for a long time, we never considered going back and reversing an errata. But recently, that changed, and we redid Q to tie it into the Q Flash deck.

My question for you is: which errata would you undo? Assume you have total control of the decision, and you can hit CTRL+Z on any errata issued to the game, either by the CC or Decipher. Don't worry about any butterfly effects, just pick the errata that has irked or bothered you the most, and tell us why.

Have a good weekend everyone. I think we're heading for an interesting few weeks in the world, so take care of yourself.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Useful tool: a full list of errata from the full history of the game is here: https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mode=errata

My answer is Scan / Full Planet Scan.

I look back and can't figure out how these got through testing, and I was playtesting at the time. Presumably, I tested these and said they were good? What was I thinking?

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
The Discovery of Sha Ka Ree
Typo. Initial printing of The Motion Picture: Remastered erroneously omitted "limit 6" from opponent's end of the mission.
While I think having the limit on your side is good nd makes sense, despite it being an accident I really like the idea that an opponent might possibly get more then you.

No issue from gameplay, but it bothers me that a thing that usually is seen on screen in multiple in unique.

Caretaker's Array :

I fully get the need to remove the report with crew. However, I really miss the ability to (however poorly) play a [Car] [1E-Rom] [Fer] , etc DQ deck.

For a game that thrives on "what if?", I miss the potential of "What if it was a D'Deridex stranded in the DQ instead?"
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:38 pm My answer is Scan / Full Planet Scan.

I look back and can't figure out how these got through testing, and I was playtesting at the time. Presumably, I tested these and said they were good? What was I thinking?
If memory serves, Preparation was being used as the benchmark of "good" scanning, and those two were costed to be in that ballpark.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:13 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:38 pm My answer is Scan / Full Planet Scan.

If memory serves, Preparation was being used as the benchmark of "good" scanning, and those two were costed to be in that ballpark.
Preparation is good scanning, so that was the right benchmark. But the ship-stop on the errata'd Scans is much costlier than Preparation. It was a miss. They happen.

(Science Lab is the other good scan, IMO: reusable, but mostly locked to a single mission.)

P.S. Scan was errata'd under the Zinno administration, so, unless you were on Errata at the time, you take no blame for this. Less blame than I do, anyway!
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:18 pm Preparation is good scanning, so that was the right benchmark. But the ship-stop on the errata'd Scans is much costlier than Preparation.

(Science Lab is the other good scan, IMO: reusable, but mostly locked to a single mission.)
(Again, this was forever ago - so memory may be fuzzy)

I *think* the argument was that Prep is easier but you can only use it before you attempt the mission for the first time; Scan lets you look ahead after that point, but now it costs a bit more?

I'd agree that it probably has one too many restrictions (I suspect it didn't need to be a stop *and* a start of turn).
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:24 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:18 pm Preparation is good scanning, so that was the right benchmark. But the ship-stop on the errata'd Scans is much costlier than Preparation.

I *think* the argument was that Prep is easier but you can only use it before you attempt the mission for the first time; Scan lets you look ahead after that point, but now it costs a bit more?

I'd agree that it probably has one too many restrictions (I suspect it didn't need to be a stop *and* a start of turn).
Yeah, I think the Broken Bow team had a hand in this - trying to bring back Scans at a cost equivalent to Scanner Interference and Panel Overload, cause we were also adding the [BB] dilemmas at the same time. Could have been balanced better, I admit.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Not totally errata, but I just re-read heany's evaluation of the In the Zone Ban. That is a card that maybe could use errata to help reign in two mission win decks.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
boromirofborg wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:51 pmI fully get the need to remove the report with crew. However, I really miss the ability to (however poorly) play a [Car] [1E-Rom] [Fer] , etc DQ deck.

For a game that thrives on "what if?", I miss the potential of "What if it was a D'Deridex stranded in the DQ instead?"
*looks into some future design files*
:shifty:
:cheersL:

-crp
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
KazonPADD wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:33 pm
AllenGould wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:24 pm

Yeah, I think the Broken Bow team had a hand in this - trying to bring back Scans at a cost equivalent to Scanner Interference and Panel Overload, cause we were also adding the [BB] dilemmas at the same time. Could have been balanced better, I admit.
Lotsa good points here. This should get another look.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Defend Homeworld (The loss of [Ref]! and I wouldn't mind if it was completely reverted to the original variant either)
Classic Communicator being unique! plus the change that the skill is only gained to end of turn.
Every Errata without Typo corrections or other clarifications with no gameplay impact that do not see play since the errata should be edited again. This List is long. And you have to look twice. The Wake of the Borg for example gains its errata in Feb 2020. It lost its [Ref] icon but was still in many Ref-piles one year later. It is part of 14 OTF-Decks since Errata. The only Decks playing it right in the last 2 years were from Suden Käpälä (1 copy in 142 cards) and Austin Chandler. Austin had 4 copies in 122 cards and I think it was only inserted, because it was a TNZ release set tournament with the ruling of "Every deck must include at least two (2) Neutral Zone Region missions". Summary, although this card appears in 19 decks in the databases, it was only properly used in 2.

By Exon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E Risa Regional Champion 2023
Probably Jonathan Archer - "Adds 1 to all X" was fun and weird, if occasionally difficult rules-wise. Allegedly, it was "limiting development." It's been five years. How many "X" cards have been released since 2017 that would be broken without the errata?

Runner-up, Temporal Rift - obviously a problem card in its original incarnation, but nerfed so far into oblivion that it might as well have stayed banned.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Exon wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:26 am Probably Jonathan Archer - "Adds 1 to all X" was fun and weird, if occasionally difficult rules-wise. Allegedly, it was "limiting development." It's been five years. How many "X" cards have been released since 2017 that would be broken without the errata?
This is the one I can 100% sign on to. "Adds 1 to all X" is just about the most quintessentially 1E gametext, and the game is smaller now that it is gone.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]