This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:49 pm It's Friday, so it's time for a Friday Question.

Are you having more fun with the STCCG than you were in 2002? Why or why not?
Not more fun. Not less either. Just different.

As I've mentioned several times in previous posts, I was the 1st edition Ambassador for STCCG here in West Texas in 2002. And the eventual switch from 1E to 2E support from Decipher is one of the main causes my player base - up to 12 regular players and a few more occasional players - pretty much abandoned the game.

Since then, my playing went on a long hiatus until I found The Continuing Committee. I have a small group of players that may play about once a quarter - all casual games with modified rules. It's not as big or as regular game here, but it lives on thanks to TCC's regular releases of expansions and errata.

So for all that, I am thankful.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:59 pm I think it would be hard to pick a date where 1E was available to be played that would have been less fun than 2002.

But, am I having more fun with 1E than at any time during Decipher's run? For me, that's a yes.
High praise!

You'll enjoy my next 1EFQ ("more fun than 2017?"), then, and I guess we have your answer for my last one in the planned trilogy ("more fun than 1998?").

I definitely started with the easiest one. And still got an interesting mix of answers! (Thanks to all who answered!)

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
10000% yes, the game is so much more fun now.

I think, for me at least, I have to make a clear distinction between playing for funsies vs playing to win competitively. I think this is the weird cloud that most of the "OTF or nah" debate lives in. I think the old version, like most old versions of card games was a "pay to win" environment that choked out any real deck building innovation and play style evolution.

I've never had more fun with a card game, and that includes games like MTG.

By Kander77 (Lee Sneathen)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:02 pm Given that I retired after Worlds 2002 and didn't pick 1e Constructed back up
This is where our stories diverge. I was honestly so sad that 1E died competitively for awhile after this, I would have kept playing. Now I am so far behind that I can't catch up.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Kander77 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:35 pmThis is where our stories diverge. I was honestly so sad that 1E died competitively for awhile after this, I would have kept playing. Now I am so far behind that I can't catch up.
I'm curious - what could we do here to help you catch up? Or at least reduce the feeling that you can't?

-crp

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:22 am
Kander77 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:35 pmThis is where our stories diverge. I was honestly so sad that 1E died competitively for awhile after this, I would have kept playing. Now I am so far behind that I can't catch up.
I'm curious - what could we do here to help you catch up? Or at least reduce the feeling that you can't?

-crp
I am going through this right now as I prepare to play some local casual games for the first time since the 90’s (I’ve been a 2e player since it came out). In fact my first game is tonight. Luckily, it’s only 2PG+some sealed Premier/AU!

I would say figuring out Q the Ref mechanics in the current game took a good amount of personal studying for me. The affiliation HQ is enormously helpful. Maybe a “key cards to know" series of articles would be helpful. You otherwise have to kind of luck into it by looking at setlists and decklists.

I’ve always felt the cc does a good job with helping beginners, but lacks “help for intermediate players” content.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Absolutely, yes.

The game was effectively dead in that era. Not trying to sus out why, but the game in that era was slow and unplayable by today's standards. I know that rustles some jimmies, but I believe it to be true. Sitting down to a 8- hour game is not fun. Keep up the good work, CC.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]