This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
I hear you, Jon, and others for sure. When building my Worlds decks, being forced into using Tribunal / Ref without a ton of upside felt a little gross, but if it keeps cheese from getting past me I guess I will accept the cost.

As others have said, Mirror Image, Obelisk, and others are not terrible cards and should be nice little bonuses in a few of your games, but losing the most obvious reason to use the Ref Pile in Defend Homeworld certainly makes it less appealing. But sometimes you gotta eat your brussel sprouts and like it!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I can promise you that the department will spend time talking about where we are with Ref and coming up with a plan for moving forward. We won't do that until after Worlds, and nothing will be decided without community input. I still personally believe that the [Ref] mechanic grew to an unstainable place, but there is no question the world is much different now than it was 10-12 years ago. That alone is worth taking the time to re-evaluate things.

-crp

By NoComment
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
well that happens if you errata and ban based on daily mood swings instead of a clear vision
LOL
theres still much to destroy left, so keep going

that said, tribunal gives you an extra card or mulligan when going second, as well as villagers.

protip: make tournaments precon only to avoid npe
 -  
Prophet
NoComment wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:25 pm well that happens if you errata and ban based on daily mood swings instead of a clear vision
First off all, there is a long term plan. There are plenty of checks and balances within the department to prevent anyone from acting based on "daily mood swings."
NoComment wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:25 pmtheres still much to destroy left, so keep going
I invite you to offer actual criticism instead of vague and completely unhelpful comments like this.

-crp

By NoComment
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:33 pm
NoComment wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:25 pm well that happens if you errata and ban based on daily mood swings instead of a clear vision
First off all, there is a long term plan. There are plenty of checks and balances within the department to prevent anyone from acting based on "daily mood swings."
thats a flat out lie as the last 5 bans prove. you guys ban when some higher up decides to. there are no checks and balances, just corruption. the cc is done and it finally starts showing. the ref is just the first to break. no wait, it was revolving door HAHAHA

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
We won't do that until after Worlds
Why? You could issue big erratas without emergency before European Continentals...

Es ist bemerkenswert, wie ihr ohne mit der Wimper zu zucken ein high level European event durcheinander bringt. Aber wenn es um euer Hauptturnier geht, wird alles unternommen, um es irgendwie zu korrigieren...

By NoComment
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Caretaker's Guest wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:01 pm
Why? You could issue big erratas without emergency before European Continentals...

Es ist bemerkenswert, wie ihr ohne mit der Wimper zu zucken ein high level European event durcheinander bringt. Aber wenn es um euer Hauptturnier geht, wird alles unternommen, um es irgendwie zu korrigieren...
checks and balances..
 -  
Prophet

We have batted several eyelids, actually. If I haven't been clear: we messed up with the timing of that change. And it doesn't matter that we didn't intend to do damage to EUCC and the European players; the fact remains that we did. All I can do about that now is apologize, and again, if I haven't been clear: I apologize for that situation.

But to avoid that just being empty words, I can tell you that we have been having discussions about new policies for errata/ban/watch changes to ensure this doesn't happen again. We're actually very close to a final wording on it, and then we'll post it for everyone to review before we put it into place. We are serious about making sure we don't repeat that mistake.

And to be completely fair, we did just issue an emergency ban about 2 weeks before Worlds. Also, the comment I made was in regards to reevaluating our overall Referee policy, not any action on specific cards.

In any case, your frustration is heard. We are making changes to be better. I hope that as we move further forward on those you will see how serious we are about Europe and the European players.

-crp

By NoComment
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
posts like that are the reason you are head of 1e, not your knowledge of the game. you should run for senat or something instead, it pays you better

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

Isn't the fact that CC is waiting show that they are listening to the concerns that were raised from the "changes before European Continentals" issue? Shouldn't this be a good thing? If you believe that it's the wrong move to wait, can you expand on why?

-James M

By NoComment
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Orbin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:21 pm

Isn't the fact that CC is waiting show that they are listening to the concerns that were raised from the "changes before European Continentals" issue? Shouldn't this be a good thing? If you believe that it's the wrong move to wait, can you expand on why?

-James M
it just shows the mood swings in another direction this week

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
NoComment wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:24 pm
Orbin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:21 pm

-James M
it just shows the mood swings in another direction this week
In this instance (I'm not sure about other areas you might be referring to for mood swings) I see the difference as a "hear a concern and make a change to address". I believe that people should be able to change their opinions/views on things and being open to new ideas that challenge your perceptions/beliefs is a good thing.

-James M
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
NoComment wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:31 pm i think checks and balances last longer than complaints from the community.

on the other hand, looking at US politics...
For a guy who's handle is No Comment, you sure have a lot to say. Why don't you introduce yourself properly, Q?

By NoComment
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
why should I? nothing has changed here, as i expected. wanna randomly ban my account again?
oh no wait, there were checks and balances to prevent that right?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation