This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello folks! I'm back with another First Edition Friday Question for you. Today's question is all about YouTube content and what you'd like to see. And aside from asking you what you want to see from a 1E YouTube channel, we have a sample script for you to look at and comment on. We are going to start generating content for YT soon, but we want to make sure what we're thinking will work for many of you before we get too far down the road.

So if you're interested, you can check out this link to see a script for a video about Missions (the card type). Your thoughts and feedback on that are welcome.

But aside from that, what kinds of things do you want to see in 1E-focused YouTube videos? Are there specific types of videos you want to see? How much variety do you want in your content and how its presented?

Share your thoughts, and it will shape how we end up making content for our future YouTube channel. Oh, and by the way, we've cross-posted this question in the STCCG Facecbook Group. There are often some good discussions there involving people that don't visit this site, so if you're interested, go check out that group as well.

Thank you, and have a great weekend!

-crp

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Looks good, but you did butcher the spelling of Committee a couple times.

Other than that it is pretty straight forward. I presume you are saving the [1E-P] [1E-S] Missions for a future video script?

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Smiley wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:12 pm How to play series - Basics.

How to play series - Advanced.

How to play - [Affiliation].
+1

Proper instruction and examples are sorely lacking on YouTube - at least from what I have seen.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Professor Scott wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:17 pmOther than that it is pretty straight forward. I presume you are saving the [1E-P] [1E-S] Missions for a future video script?
Yes, that will be a theme in this particular series of videos. We'll tell you the stuff that's true in 75% of the games; anything else, will be in separate videos. (Which will eventually be linked around by the channel manager.)

-crp
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
MidnightLich wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:00 pm But aside from that, what kinds of things do you want to see in 1E-focused YouTube videos? Are there specific types of videos you want to see? How much variety do you want in your content and how its presented?
A drunk sexecutioner talking strategy with fellow 1E players whilst inappropriately propositioning them and plotting Scottish independence.

That’s what I wanna see….

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Make sure the thumbnail has big red arrows and someone doing the poggers face. That's how we appeal to the younger crowd. And along those lines it should probably be Heaney doing the poggers face, both because he is one of the youngest of us and because he bears a striking resemblance to well-known Minecraft youtuber/streamer cubfan135.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:34 am he bears a striking resemblance to well-known Minecraft youtuber/streamer cubfan135.
*googles this*

oh... oh my!

So that's a weird thing to learn tonight.

Guess I'd better find out what a poggers is. I'll bet my wife knows. She's cooler than me.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:34 am bears a striking resemblance to well-known Minecraft youtuber/streamer cubfan135.
My mind went here.

CubsFan Han

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
The best way to get people to watch is a spoiler card with each episode. Maybe even do a special set of cards for each season/run, one for each episode. I wouldn't worry about making brand new cards from the ground up in the beginning, but instead redress some older cards with new franchise logos, lore and pictures. Okay, how about at least one new card from the ground up, I suggest a new ship, because that is my favorite card type.

And don't forget to doll the episodes up. Soundtrack music, screen borders, little video clips of things like crowds cheering and bombs dropping, jiggling icons, sound effects, people showing up pretending to be larger than life characters, use the bloopers as plot devices and jokes, make fun of the game, make fun of yourselves, make fun of the complaints, make fun of people like me who give crazy ideas, make fun of the players who keep the game alive, just keep it light hearted and funny and entertaining.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
FWIW, I do have a fairly large collection of Star Trek soundtrack music (about 63 hours of music, all told), and I'd be happy to contribute tracks to the CC's YouTubes.
European OP Coordinator
 - European OP Coordinator
 -  
First we should think about what goal we would like to achive with those videos. I see two options right now:

1) Bring new players (or retired players) into the game
2) Content for "up-to-date-players" with new high quality strategies

As said before, option 2) is quite perfectly covered by Kaiser's YouTube channel :cheersL:

So it's only option 1) I'm brainstorming here:

Short videos, as a series, beginning with only premiere and continue ongoing. Of course some examples in an advanced gameplay should be shown, but only with the proper cards.

My approach would be: set & rules - cards - options - complete game.

Premiere:

First video: Describe what the game and this set is all about. Explaine the basic rules (personnel, ships, missions,etc.).

Second video: get more into detail with the card types and what they can do

Third video: show some options (even nasty ones), f.w. Rogue Borg / Anti-Time Anomaly

Fourth Video: Show a game with only Premiere decks

Of course, the second part f.e. could be splitted into each card type...

Alternate Universe:

First video: What's new? Cards types, rules etc.

Second video: show some options

Third video: show a game

Q-Continuum:

First video: What's new? Cards types, rules etc.

Second video: the completely new thing: Side decks & the [Q] side deck

Third video: show some options

Fourth video: show a game

First Contact:

First video: What's new? Cards types, rules etc. (Especially tha change to the 30/30 rule)

Second, third, and fourth video: THE BORG

Fifth video: show some options

Sixth video: show a game

...and so on...

Is it better to bring in new players with the "state of art" right now, or is it better to bring them to the game as most of us were brought to?

3) Another approach would be to do introduction videos "card-type" (also a good one): one video for mission, one for incidents and so on. But could this bring new guys to our beloved game? You also need an introduction video with all the rules first - but if you include Incident, Objectives, and so on into that, that might be overwhelming.

Of course both ( 1) and 3)) can be done, and if done in a good way in combination, could be great.

And yes, Charlie, I'd volunteer for making some videos especially the card type based ones...

And no, Paddy, I'd have those things from sexecutioner only live and in person (as it should be) , so a definate objection from me here :P :P :P

:cheersL: :cheersL: :cheersL: :borg: :cheersR: :cheersR: :cheersR:

By StuartL
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Might I suggest that when you show a deck in the video that you include a link so that potential players can directly print a copy.
For example, have a video that teaches the basics of play using two starter decks, and give viewers the option to download the same decks and play through the game themselves.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation