This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Hey folks!

I could use a little assistance. I'm looking for some ideas for dilemma combos for a.. *ahem* project.

There are a few guidelines and a few restrictions that need to be followed:

* For now, keep them to 3-card combos.
* They can be planet, space, or dual combos (please specify).
* Looking for intermediate-level combos. Not impossible to pass, not starter level.
* This one is important: All cards in the combo must have hi-resolution versions available on TrekCC. This means their rarity must be V, VP (and printable/no watermark), or have errata.
* This one's not as important: it would be nice if all the cards in the combo were limited to TNG and movie (all ten of them) property logos, but this is not required.

Thanks - hope you can help!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Looking back at my decks, I used the following combos in Charlie's TNG only format public playtesting tourney. There are some four-card combos that can be modded to three easily. The deck is public, so I don't mind sharing them. The deck had Vagra II in it, FTR.

[1E-P] Flim-Flam Artist --> Do You Smell Something Burning? --> A Bad End
[1E-P] Armus - Sticky Situation --> Armus: Roulette --> A Good Day to Lie
[Dual] Hippocratic Oath --> Unscientific Method --> Scientific Method
[Dual] Experience BiJ! --> Implication --> Yuta --> Barclay's Protomorphosis Disease
[1E-S] Armus: Energy Field --> Virus --> Birth of "Junior" --> Cytherians
[1E-S] Topological Anomaly --> Make Us Go --> Ancient Computer & Microvirus --> Gomtuu Shockwave

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Shouldn't it go:
Armus: Energy Field --> Birth of "Junior" --> Cytherians -->Virus?

That is, unless I'm reading the cards wrong, Cytehrians and Junior are placed on the ship but the mission continues, whereas Virus stops the ship. A smart person with two ships who got stopped by Virus would switch ships. (Personally, I would be looking out for Abandon Ship as the next dillemma.)
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
WeAreBack wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:00 pm Shouldn't it go:

That is, unless I'm reading the cards wrong, Cytehrians and Junior are placed on the ship but the mission continues, whereas Virus stops the ship. A smart person with two ships who got stopped by Virus would switch ships. (Personally, I would be looking out for Abandon Ship as the next dillemma.)
I think I was trying for maximum attribute reduction for Cytherians when I built that combo, but yes, that's probably what ended up happening.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:08 pm

I think I was trying for maximum attribute reduction for Cytherians when I built that combo, but yes, that's probably what ended up happening.
This sounds familiar... did I face this combo in a tournament at some point? I seem to remember using one ship to soak up the attribute reducers and then a second ship (with a Kurlan on it?) to hit and cash the Cytherians.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Armus wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:12 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:08 pm

This sounds familiar... did I face this combo in a tournament at some point? I seem to remember using one ship to soak up the attribute reducers and then a second ship (with a Kurlan on it?) to hit and cash the Cytherians.
Signs point to yes.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023

Cytherians ends the mission attempt so that ship won't hit Virus unless it does so after returning to the mission.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I stand corrected. Looks like Cytehrians does end the attempt according to the glossary. I can't think WHY it would given how we understand dilemmas today.

The Rulebook is actually clear on how this card should work, under required actions:
"When your cards are being compelled by a required action, they may not take any other actions until the required action is complete." It goes on to say:
"Other than the fact that they are required, required actions are just like any other actions."

Since I'm not allowed to just say, "Hold on, I want to end this mission attempt right now before I encounter this next dilemma" then Cytherians shouldn't be able to do that either if forced actions work the same as all other actions. The words "attempt ends" would need to appear on the card for it to work the way that the glossary says it works.

This actually seems like something Rules might want to address, given that Cytherians has been such a powerful dilemma for years and is very nearly ubiquitous. This would mean that you couldn't just stock something like Lack of Preparation followed by Cytherians by themselves since the mission would be solved before the mandatory moving started. Instead, you would need to follow them up with something like Experience Bij.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation