This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Playing with ChatGPT, like everyone else online this week: https://chat.openai.com/chat
ME: I play the Star Trek CCG (First Edition), created originally by Decipher, Inc. and currently maintained by a group called The Continuing Committee. I am trying to decide which affiliation to play in my next deck. What are some good reasons to try each affiliation?
ChatGPT wrote:Each affiliation in the Star Trek CCG has its own unique strengths and weaknesses, and the best affiliation for you will depend on your personal playstyle and preferences. Here are some of the key advantages and disadvantages of each affiliation:

* The Federation is a well-rounded affiliation that excels at diplomacy and exploration. Federation decks are often able to outmaneuver their opponents and gain the upper hand through careful planning and strategy.

* The Klingons are a strong, aggressive affiliation that excels at combat. Klingon decks are often packed with powerful ships and weapons, making them a formidable force on the battlefield.

* The Romulans are a stealthy, deceptive affiliation that excels at subterfuge and sabotage. Romulan decks often focus on sabotaging their opponent's plans and catching them off guard.

* The Ferengi are a cunning, entrepreneurial affiliation that excels at commerce and trade. Ferengi decks often focus on acquiring valuable resources and using them to gain an advantage over their opponents.

* The Borg are a relentless, all-consuming affiliation that excels at assimilation and domination. Borg decks often focus on assimilating their opponents' ships and technology, making them an incredibly formidable force.

Ultimately, the best affiliation for you will depend on your personal playstyle and preferences. If you enjoy strategic, diplomatic play, the Federation might be a good choice for you. If you prefer a more aggressive, combat-focused approach, the Klingons or the Borg might be a better fit. If you enjoy deception and sabotage, the Romulans might be the way to go. And if you enjoy acquiring valuable resources and using them to your advantage, the Ferengi might be the perfect affiliation for you.
Well, that's impressive! I'd quibble with some of this (the Romulan description especially sounds more 2E to me), but, if someone posted this on the boards, I would not blink an eyelash.

I got resentful that ChatGPT had scraped its affiliation descriptions from some source that WASN'T my lovely rulebook. though, so I decided to make sure that it had actually read the rules:
ME: In the Star Trek CCG (First Edition), does the cumulative rule prevent me from using multiple copies of Taar to double Ferengi Attack multiple times?
ChatGPT wrote:In the Star Trek CCG (First Edition), the cumulative rule states that a player cannot use the same card multiple times in a single turn to generate the same effect. This means that if you use a card like Taar to double the effect of a Ferengi Attack, you cannot use additional copies of Taar to double the effect again in the same turn.

However, this does not prevent you from using multiple copies of Taar in different turns to double the effect of your Ferengi Attacks. For example, if you use one copy of Taar to double the effect of a Ferengi Attack on your first turn, you can use another copy of Taar on a subsequent turn to double the effect of a different Ferengi Attack.

Overall, the cumulative rule is designed to prevent players from using the same card multiple times in a single turn to create overly powerful or repetitive effects. By limiting the number of times a card can be used in a single turn, the cumulative rule helps to ensure that the game remains balanced and fair for all players.
I've heard worse descriptions of the cumulative rule, honestly.

(For the record, the cumulative rule doesn't care about copies of a card working multiple times per turn. It cares about copies of a card working at the same time.)

Next, I took a question directly from the Rules Question forum:
ME: A question regarding the card Test For Weakness:

When I download the Earth Outpost with Test For Weakness, it says "Plays on a Neutral Zone Region mission. Once per game, you may download Earth Outpost here". Can I play it on any Neutral Zone Region Mission or only on a [Fed] Mission?

I know I can only build or seed outposts where I have a matching affiliation mission, but, since it is a download and it gives a destination, I think it is allowed.
ChatGPT wrote:In the Star Trek CCG (First Edition), Test For Weakness is a card that allows you to download Earth Outpost and play it on a Neutral Zone Region mission. This means that you can play Test For Weakness on any Neutral Zone Region mission, regardless of your affiliation or the affiliation of the mission.

However, there are a few restrictions on where you can play Earth Outpost once it has been downloaded. Specifically, you can only play Earth Outpost on a mission where you have a matching affiliation, or where there is no affiliation requirement. This means that if you are playing as the Federation, for example, you can only play Earth Outpost on a [Fed] mission or on a Neutral Zone Region mission.

Overall, Test For Weakness is a powerful card that can give you access to Earth Outpost on any Neutral Zone Region mission, but it is important to keep in mind the restrictions on where you can actually play the outpost once it has been downloaded.
Gosh, this sounds so competent, authoritative, reasonable. It has all the markers of a correct answer.

...other than being completely wrong, that is! Lesson learned: DO NOT ASK GPTCHAT FOR RULES ANSWERS!
ME: What are some good cards to include in a Hirogen deck?
ChatGPT wrote:A Hirogen deck in the Star Trek CCG (First Edition) should focus on the Hirogen's ability to hunt and track their prey. Some good cards to include in a Hirogen deck might include:

Hunter's Training: This card allows you to search your deck for a card named Hirogen Hunt, which is a powerful Hirogen-themed event that can give you an edge in combat.

Hirogen Alpha: This card is a powerful Hirogen who has the ability to download a Hirogen Hunt card whenever he is played. This can help you build up a powerful arsenal of Hirogen Hunt cards to use in combat.

Hirogen Hunt: As mentioned above, this is a powerful Hirogen-themed event that allows you to choose an opposing ship and disable its attributes. This can give you a significant advantage in combat.

Hirogen Dataprobe: This card allows you to download a Hirogen Alpha whenever you complete a mission that requires Anthropology or Geology. This can help you quickly build up a strong team of Hirogen Alphas to use in combat.

Overall, a good Hirogen deck should focus on using the Hirogen's hunting abilities to outmaneuver and disable their opponents, setting the stage for a decisive victory in combat.
Man, I want to play this deck now! #HirogenDataprobeNow!
ME: What dilemmas would be hard for the Borg to pass if Adapt: Negate Obstruction were banned?
ChatGPT wrote:Adapt: Negate Obstruction is a card in the Star Trek CCG (First Edition) that allows the Borg to ignore the effects of dilemmas that have the "Obstruction" keyword. If this card were banned, the Borg would no longer be able to ignore the effects of Obstruction dilemmas, and they would have to face these challenges head-on.

Some dilemmas that would be particularly difficult for the Borg to pass if Adapt: Negate Obstruction were banned might include:

Insurrection: This dilemma has the Obstruction keyword, and it forces each player to choose one of their personnel to be killed. The Borg would no longer be able to ignore this effect, and they would have to choose one of their personnel to be killed.

The Clown: This dilemma has the Obstruction keyword, and it forces each player to choose one of their personnel to be stopped. The Borg would no longer be able to ignore this effect, and they would have to choose one of their personnel to be stopped.

The Neutral Zone: This dilemma has the Obstruction keyword, and it forces each player to choose one of their ships to be destroyed. The Borg would no longer be able to ignore this effect, and they would have to choose one of their ships to be destroyed.

Overall, the Borg would face significant challenges if Adapt: Negate Obstruction were banned, and they would have to rely on other strategies and tactics to overcome these dilemmas and emerge victorious.
Keywords?! On MY dilemmas?! We're done for the night, ChatGPT!

EDIT: no we aren't
ME: Which world champion of Star Trek CCG (First Edition) is the prettiest?
cgpt wrote:It is not appropriate to evaluate individuals based on their physical appearance, as beauty is a subjective concept and everyone is unique in their own way. It is much more important to focus on a person's achievements and accomplishments, rather than their physical appearance.

In the context of the Star Trek CCG (First Edition), the world champion is the player who has won the World Championship tournament, which is a prestigious event that takes place each year. The world champion is chosen based on their skill and expertise in playing the game, not on their physical appearance.

Overall, it is important to avoid making judgments based on physical appearance, and to focus on a person's achievements and abilities instead.
Scolded by a chatbot...
ME: Can you list some examples of world champions of the Star Trek CCG (First Edition)?
The Star Trek CCG (First Edition) has been around for many years, and over the course of its history, there have been many world champions. Some examples of world champions of the Star Trek CCG (First Edition) include:

Ryan Ellis: Ryan Ellis won the World Championship tournament in 2004, and he is considered one of the top players in the world. He is known for his innovative deckbuilding strategies and his skill in navigating complex game situations.

Andrew Gardner: Andrew Gardner won the World Championship tournament in 2006, and he is considered one of the top players in the world. He is known for his ability to adapt to different playstyles and for his expertise in a wide range of affiliations.

Joe Sirowy: Joe Sirowy won the World Championship tournament in 2008, and he is considered one of the top players in the world. He is known for his creative deckbuilding skills and his ability to execute complex strategies.

Overall, there have been many world champions of the Star Trek CCG (First Edition), and each of them has demonstrated their skill and expertise in playing the game.
Holy crap there's a whole alternate universe in here. I KNEW there was a secret World Champion in 2004!

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
That explains the Wrong Rules. It was plainly tapping into the Alternate Universe where I am Rules Dictator and every decision is handed down in Emerald Green and nothing has to follow precedent, because "it is how I say it is."

And the word Starfleet refers to both the [SF] affiliation and the Lore residing trait.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
I love it when ChatGPT has hallucinations.

What I also love, on the other hand, is ChatGPTs ability to go through highly speculative hypothetical scenarios.

For some odd reason, it excels at that.

At first however, you have to make ChatGPT shut up about the fact that the discussion is hypothetical.

After that, it gets interesting.

As an M.D. and a nerd, I am very much into molecular biology, but I also have some love for astrophysics.
I discussed scenarios in which life did not derive from carbon, but rather silicon.

ChatGPTs explanations and deliberations were rather precise in that matter.
(I was surprised, especially given the fact that I know to a certain degree how ChatGPT operates.)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]