This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
geraldkw wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:04 pmI feel like there is room for more community involvement. Of course that requires community members to have the time and energy to engage and commit to some work. Those people also have to be capable of working with others without starting fights or name-calling over disagreements. That already narrows down the field of participants in a more open CC.

Perhaps the CC can brainstorm some new community involvement ideas similar to Will of the Collective (or even revamp WotC) and have a vote on which idea we should try? Some will of course be unhappy with whatever gets picked, and it might turn out to flop or need a 2nd or third try but I'd be interested in putting in some work if it means we all get to feel a little happier about where the game is headed.
In a different thread, the topic of having more involvement of the community with what's going on with 1E came up. I thought this might be a great opportunity to discuss this and see what everyone would like to see, rather than just have existing staff brainstorm alone. So what does community involvement mean to you? What are the things that would interest or excite you? What wouldn't? What pitfalls would you expect?

Let's hear your ideas!

-crp
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
There was a try to get a list of which card names which other card. Don't think it was finished.

It would be nice to have images of boosters and displays to add them to the trademanager.

Several of current scans of cards could use some centering.

To make a Star Trek version of GEMP, breaking down actions/gameffects of all cards would be a big part.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:05 pm
geraldkw wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:04 pmI feel like there is room for more community involvement. Of course that requires community members to have the time and energy to engage and commit to some work. Those people also have to be capable of working with others without starting fights or name-calling over disagreements. That already narrows down the field of participants in a more open CC.

Perhaps the CC can brainstorm some new community involvement ideas similar to Will of the Collective (or even revamp WotC) and have a vote on which idea we should try? Some will of course be unhappy with whatever gets picked, and it might turn out to flop or need a 2nd or third try but I'd be interested in putting in some work if it means we all get to feel a little happier about where the game is headed.
In a different thread, the topic of having more involvement of the community with what's going on with 1E came up. I thought this might be a great opportunity to discuss this and see what everyone would like to see, rather than just have existing staff brainstorm alone. So what does community involvement mean to you? What are the things that would interest or excite you? What wouldn't? What pitfalls would you expect?

Let's hear your ideas!

-crp
Too many cooks in the kitchen. Things like WOTC are very fun in their extremity limited scope, but large scale community involvement in set design and card creation would create nothing but infighting, anger and jealousy.

However more involvement in high level concepts could work. I.e.: The next set should focus on Time's Arrow, or the Prophets, or Neelix's cooking, etc, that the card design teams can parlay into a workable set later on.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Been thinking about why Will of the Collective or You Make the Card often turn out poorly, and realized that the process forces a card's design into a waterfall method when cards and games are much better when designed iteratively. Sometimes you realize the best course of action is to go back and change an earlier decision. So WotC might turn out better if you give the Collective the option to go back to earlier steps.

By StuartL
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Having a chance to design cards is cool, but I can see a lot of potential for hurt egos and people getting upset when their ideas get overlooked. That isn't to say that it can't work, just that anonymous voices on forums aren't always the politest or most civil.

As another possibility for more community involvement and feedback for the CC when designing new cards, how about a "Best Card/Worst Card" discussion. Each week/month have a different theme (e.g. [1E-TNG] Ships, or [1E-DS9] [1E-Fer] Personnel). Players then nominate what they consider the best and worst cards in that theme, along with reasons why.
This can help avoid making more bad cards and sets some guidelines for what people consider the upper limits of power/utility.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
thought experiment for a moment:

instead of commuity involvement on the design side, lets focus on involement on the Playtesting side.

And while we are at it, cycle back to an old thing that hasn't come back in a while:

White Border Preview cards.

Proposal:
- release 4 WB preview cards a year, either at the same time, or once per quarter.
- Those cards are *legal* for tournaments (perhaps just one special tournament weekend)
- Players are encouraged to tech for/against the card in some way
- rewards for submitting feedback around those cards
- cards may change before Black border release.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I think it would be cool to have more videos in the same vein of what Kaiser is doing. Games, dilemma combos, deck ideas, etc. The more video content, the easier the game is to teach and to get more (and newer) players involved. I think this is true, generally, but especially in a game with such a steep learning curve.

I would suggest maybe monthly-ish video-based challenges and contests that tie into the challenges/achievements you can earn for your profile. This isn't well-developed in my mind, but what if February's challenge is "Gender-related dilemma Challenge" where you have to submit a link to a youtube video you created where you are showing your best version of a dilemma combo using Let me help that also includes a crew facing your dilemma in a simulated game. We vote, and the winner gets a promo card and a "Dilemma Master-Feb '23" badge for their profile.

March (Spring Break) could be something for Risa, etc. Someone more creative than I could probably develop the idea if its interesting enough.

I bet you'd get a number of submissions and participation. Maybe. Donno. At the very least, you'd also be building out a robust video library of ideas for players to learn from/reference.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation